Great 'what costs more for if you're poor?' Hunt revisited

Options
Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 20 November 2012 at 5:12PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Great 'what costs more for if you're poor?' Hunt revisited

Being cash-strapped means things cost more, like higher energy bills due to prepay meters. We want to tap MoneySavers' collective knowledge on what's pricier if you've less dosh, and what can you do about it.

See the responses to this question last time around: What do you pay more for is you're poor?

View all past Great Hunts

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• quickstepqueen
    Options
    Oil for heating. If you live rurally & rely on oil, unlike gas/elec there aren't a range of tariffs to choose from. Add on top a low income & a severe health condition which relies on you to have a warm heated house & you have a massive financial dilemma!
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    car insurance.-if you have to pay in installments-well, anything that you have to pay over the course of the year when there is a premium attached.
    Car tax if you can only afford to buy six months at a time
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • plainchoc
    Options
    Loans are more expensive if your poor
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Council tax as a percentage of takehome pay, especially for the single people living alone.
  • BarefootLizzie
    Options
    pay as you go energy tariffs....
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 November 2012 at 6:12AM
    Options
    tattycath wrote: »
    car insurance.-if you have to pay in installments-well, anything that you have to pay over the course of the year when there is a premium attached.
    Car tax if you can only afford to buy six months at a time

What is more, if you own an "old" reliable but near valueless motor with a 1.6 engine (not huge) for your modest annual mileage - you get penalised by the car tax (VED):

Cars and light goods vehicles registered before 1 March 2001

Private/light goods (TC11)

Engine size (cc) 12 months rate 6 months rate
    Not over 1549.. £135.00............ £74.25
    .......over 1549.. £220.00........... £121.00

Compare that with a taxi cab favourite:

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/skoda/fabia-estate/1-6-tdi-cr-75-s-5dr/specifications/60480#tabsection2

301177440431.jpg

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/advice/road-tax-guide/skoda/fabia/estate-2008/47375/

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/skoda/fabia/estate-2008/running-costs/
  • Devonian_Rodders
    Options
    Can be nothing worse than going to Supermarkets with a limited budget, and finding a single item (such as bread) costs £1.25 EACH or TWO for £2:huh: Yes pay 25% more for ONE.
    There are other essential items which are priced in the same way.

The solution to the problem is for families of similar means to get together and list their requiurements, have one big shop and share out the benefits. Yes does take time, but when money is tight...............

My experience of shopping comes from childhood days, when I had a list of items to get, each item had a price alongside it, and a total at the bottom. This list included such things as fresh meat (which varied in those days) but whatever I purchased, the total had to add up to the sum of money i was given, AND above all I had to get all items listed.

Something i have never forgotten and i shall be for ever grateful to my late Mum for teaching me how to manage in difficult times.
  • minicooper272
    Options
    Water meter vs pay as you use is hit or miss, but if you're poor and live alone, you can sometimes phone them and get some money off standing charge (though I've never tried, so can't confirm). A lot of people don't realise your water bill includes sewerage charges, assuming maybe 90% of what you consume goes straight back into the sewers - if you have pets (big ones, like horses), a big garden, etc, call and tell them only e.g. only 80% goes back as sewage, and you can get a reduction. Don't try and scam them though, they have ways to check up on you, and can hit you with back charges all at once.
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    Technically not a matter of being poor but some insurers use your credit score as a rating factor with premiums being increased if you've a poor credit history due to the perceived fraud risk (but of cause not all poor have bad credit history)

In many cases being better off opens up more discounts, particularly on higher end products. So cashback credit cards are typically for mid/ higher earners with very good histories. The higher Amex cards (Platinum Chargecard and Centurion) both give you free upgrades on hotel rooms, flights, discounts at stores like Selfridges etc which very easily outweigh the annual fees.
  • BugsyBrowne
    BugsyBrowne Posts: 5,697 Forumite
    Options
    I sat round my pals the other night and we were talking booze and the cost what he pays for it each week.
    He was surprised with how much he actually spend,he basically hit the local 4 times a week which he drink 4 pints a night which over a week works out to £56 a week thats 3k a year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure