The "Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2012" challenge - PART 2!!!

Options

Comments

• jakes-mum
    jakes-mum Posts: 4,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    eddi wrote: »
    I noticed it could take an age to track as well, if at all. It took about 3 days for my stake to go out of my bank and for what I won to be paid in....I wondered if I'd dreamed the whole thing at one point! I only played bingo with the whole lot.

Oh no :( with Gala you could play the scratchcards with your deposit and the £20 bonus they gave you. With a 1 in 4 chance of winning (I think it is) you were guaranteed to make money at it :(

Hope you won some at the bingo :)
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £3846.25/£1000 (11) £1779.72/£1000 (12) £1596.55/£1000 (13) £1534.70/£1000 (14) £775.60/£1000 (15) £700.20/£1000 (16) £2081.34/£1000 (17) £0/£1000
  • rdchick
    rdchick Posts: 1,815 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I'm exactly the same as you. Or I was until I joined everyone on this challenge and the other 2 I'm doing. It's given me a whole new outlook and I'm actually quite proud of myself now. Budgeting will never be second nature to me, at least not for a long time. Also, the OH is exceptionally good with money and every time I go to buy anything if I'm on my own I hear his voice in my head going "is that an essential purchase?". And if that's not enough I can hear everyone on here doing it too :rotfl:

If I waiver I think about that holiday in Iceland I really want and it helps focus me again. Is there anything hefty you can set yourself as a goal to work towards?

I am pretty good at putting stuff down (walked around TKMaxx with stuff in my hand for about half an hour on Saturday... put it all back!) but it's stuff like food and little purchases that get me.. I am rubbish at it! I have 2 big goals to work for, I need to be as debt free as I can be by November as I am applying for the RAF and they don't look at debt too favorably! and the other is my BF is desperate to go to South Africa again this year to see his best friend so we want to do that too (feel guilty as I know I should be working towards debt freedom!) xxx
    Life is too short not to love what you do.
  • eddi
    eddi Posts: 274 Forumite
    edited 7 February 2012 at 12:53PM
    Options
    rdchick wrote: »
    I am pretty good at putting stuff down (walked around TKMaxx with stuff in my hand for about half an hour on Saturday... put it all back!) but it's stuff like food and little purchases that get me.. I am rubbish at it! I have 2 big goals to work for, I need to be as debt free as I can be by November as I am applying for the RAF and they don't look at debt too favorably! and the other is my BF is desperate to go to South Africa again this year to see his best friend so we want to do that too (feel guilty as I know I should be working towards debt freedom!) xxx

Little purchases are evil! :angry: I find they are the ones that get you the worst because they don't seem so bad until you tot them all up. Can you apply the same control to the little things as you're able to do with the other stuff? :) All those odd 50ps & 1.25s and so on will add up to some serious cash by November. Does South Africa absolutely have to be this year or could it be delayed a few months?
  • eddi
    eddi Posts: 274 Forumite
    Options
    jakes-mum wrote: »
    Oh no :( with Gala you could play the scratchcards with your deposit and the £20 bonus they gave you. With a 1 in 4 chance of winning (I think it is) you were guaranteed to make money at it :(

Hope you won some at the bingo :)

I got a bit addicted to Bingo that night :o I came out £24.20 up so that's not so bad.
  • mrsyallop
    Options
    I played paddy power and won £16. I opted for a bank transfer. It is now asking for photo ID and a bank statement. Should I have done something different?
  • rdchick
    Options
    Little purchases are evil! :angry: I find they are the ones that get you the worst because they don't seem so bad until you tot them all up. Can you apply the same control to the little things as you're able to do with the other stuff? :) All those odd 50ps & 1.25s and so on will add up to some serious cash by November. Does South Africa absolutely have to be this year or could it be delayed a few months?

They are evil.. as are tuck boxes at work...

I need to stop... I am hoping to change jobs and not be chained to my desk so I should be able to stop the little spends! As for SA, it probably could be delayed. We are saving £50 a month (we have a seriously long way to go to get to what we need) but as the BF earns a hell of a lot more than I do I am sure he will be paying for most of it... (that sounds terrible... but it's his friend so if worse came to the worse he could go again on his own :()I hate debt! :rotfl:xx
  • psychopathbabble
    Options
    mrsyallop wrote: »
    I played paddy power and won £16. I opted for a bank transfer. It is now asking for photo ID and a bank statement. Should I have done something different?

I had this for he@rt but i think it's them just confirming your age - although i like the way they do this AFTER you have gambled!
    Became Mrs Scotland 16.01.16 :heart:Became homeowners 26.02.16 :heart:Baby girl arrived 27.10.16 :heart:Baby boy arrived 16.09.2018
  • kerri_dfw
    kerri_dfw Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    camuk I would pay off the debt as it is costing you money, start with highest apr first. BUT this is not free money. You treat the paid off amount like a personal debt and continue to "pay it off" as you have been doing without fail. However, instead of paying creditors you pay it into a savings account/ISA until it reaches 6mnths - 1yrs living expenses. Then you have a tidy sum to fall back on "just in case", from there you can start properly saving. So call it "buffer fund debt" or something like that.

This weeks mini challenge: No little shops...
    I'm a terror for buying a chocolate bar here, a bag of crisps there, all because I didn't remember something in my main shop. So DFBX's this weeks challenge is to not go on any little shops. If it's not covered by the big one, then you don't get to have it :) Superscrimpers last night they said they went out for a £1 brush and came back with an entire bedroom of diy stuff... well that's the extreme but the little things do add up :)
    Diary: Getting back on track for 2013 and beyond
    DEBT FREE 13-10-13 :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:
    Beautiful daughter born 11.1.14
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]£399,435.91[/STRIKE] £377218.83
    Deposit loan from Dad: £9000[STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE]
  • rdchick
    Options
    kerri_dfw wrote: »
    I'm a terror for buying a chocolate bar here, a bag of crisps there, all because I didn't remember something in my main shop. So DFBX's this weeks challenge is to not go on any little shops. If it's not covered by the big one, then you don't get to have it :) Superscrimpers last night they said they went out for a £1 brush and came back with an entire bedroom of diy stuff... well that's the extreme but the little things do add up :)

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
  • jakes-mum
    jakes-mum Posts: 4,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kerri_dfw wrote: »

Kerri!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your a right one! How am I supposed to get bread if I cant top up shop :mad: I refuse to freeze bread, it tastes foul and those people at all*nsons refuse to have their bread last for 7 days :( your so mean! cant we have 1 top up shop for the bread/milk run but your not allowed to go to any aisle but those 2 and thats all you can buy?? :p
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £3846.25/£1000 (11) £1779.72/£1000 (12) £1596.55/£1000 (13) £1534.70/£1000 (14) £775.60/£1000 (15) £700.20/£1000 (16) £2081.34/£1000 (17) £0/£1000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure