Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • thriftlady
    This is one of the most delicious dishes I know. It is adapted from Jocasta Innes' Pauper's Cookbook.

2hrs cooking, serves 4-6

Slice a medium potato per person into thin slices(about 2mm thick)
    Slice one large onion(or 2 small ones!)
    Chop up some bacon or ham - 1 rasher per person is what I ususally use,but it depends on how much you can spare.

Make a basic white sauce,add cheese if you want(I do).
    Sauce - melt a tbsp butter,add a tbsp flour cook until sandy in texture(a roux).Gradually stir in about half a pint of milk.Stir until thickens.

In a deep,greased oven-proof dish layer the potatoes,onion and bacon,season with pepper(no salt because of the bacon)
    When you have put half the ingredients in,pour on half the sauce.
    Continue with the layers,ending with potato.
    Pour on the rest of the sauce.

Bake in the oven at 200c covered for 1 hour.Then take of the lid and bake for a further hour at 180c.

It's easy to increase/decrease quantities for this dish.The long cooking is the secret.
    I serve it with carrots and a green veg.
    Last edited by thriftlady; 27-07-2009 at 3:50 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

107Posts Today

1,778Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @JulianClary: CILLA BLACK ANYONE WHO HAD A HEART https://t.co/E25wIuhoHH via @YouTube

• Surprised at a few nasty replies re cilla. The respectful thing when someone dies is say nice or say nowt. Grieving relatives may be reading

• You can judge your age by what #cilla means to you. For me its not the singing, its blind date and surprise surprise. Sad news #ripcilla

• Follow Martin