🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Car insurance for a 16 year old on DLA

Options
Is there a company that will do car insurance for a 16 year old in the UK? Higher rate mobility on DLA enables 16 year olds to learn to drive at 16, but I can't find a company that offeres insurance for me at 16.

Thanks

Comments

• wolfehouse
    wolfehouse Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    motability cars come with insurance for named drivers and i have never heard a mention of an age limit
    http://www.motability.co.uk/main.cfm?Type=AIE
    if you get higher rate dla and intend to get one of their cars, they also have a grant scheme for driving lessons for disabled 16?-25 year olds but you'd have to ring the grants department to ask.
  • maclean2
    maclean2 Posts: 709 Forumite
    Options
    Hi - one of the leading brokers for disabled drivers and adapted vehicles is

www.fishadministration.co.uk

01772 733773

If they cannot help let me know as as somewhere I have the names of 2 other firms.

HTH
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Beccax_ wrote: »
    Is there a company that will do car insurance for a 16 year old in the UK? Higher rate mobility on DLA enables 16 year olds to learn to drive at 16, but I can't find a company that offeres insurance for me at 16.

Thanks

For something like this- a non standard risk you'll probably have to go through a broker to get a range of options.
  • yatbebz27
    Options
    maybe you should look up online car insurance and find the lowest rate and the right insurance company for your son...
  • TH1878
    TH1878 Posts: 458 Forumite
    Options
    so basically the non disabled are discriminated against by not being able to learn til their 17

What a stupid comment that is! Have you thought about the issues some disabled people have with getting around; issues that non-disabled people don't have?
  • Beccax_
    Beccax_ Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    thanks guys
  • punkstoner
    punkstoner Posts: 178 Forumite
    Options
    TH1878 wrote: »
    What a stupid comment that is! Have you thought about the issues some disabled people have with getting around; issues that non-disabled people don't have?

What a stupd comment.

Have you possibly thought it is much easier for a disabled person to get around in a city with modern public transport, than it is for an able-bodied person to get around, who lives somewhere quiet, or the countryside.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Is it troll season already ?
    Just a silly person attention seeking-ignore em
    It's possible you may only be able to get insurance as part of a mobility package and it isn't sold seperately but oneof the disability helplines should be able to help you.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills