Touring holiday to Nevada, California & Arizona

Options

Comments

• Bennifred
    Bennifred Posts: 3,986 Forumite
    Options
    After a truly stupendous three and a half weeks away, we're home. We drove over 3000 miles, saw lots, learnt lots, enjoyed lots and did nearly everything that we wanted to do.
    Plus, with this thread in the back of my mind, I tried to makes notes/remember things to share with you as well.
    Without me sounding like 'I had a great holiday, would you like to hear about it' ? - I had a great holiday, would anyone be interested in the RELEVANT bits ? In other words, the stuff that would/could/should be useful to anyone else fancying a similar type of thing ?

blackcat.gif

Yes, indeedy! When you get chance, tell all! I'm holidaying vicariously through everyone else this year:p and am planning (already:o ) to visit California in 2010 so all tips will be eagerly seized upon!

Oh! and WELCOME HOME! Glad you had a fantastic time.
    [
  • KarenG
    KarenG Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Options
    Yes please, MTC :)

I'd love to hear more. It sounds like you had a fantastic trip.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    WELCOME HOME MURPHY :D

Looking forward to reading about it :j
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    After a truly stupendous three and a half weeks away, we're home. We drove over 3000 miles, saw lots, learnt lots, enjoyed lots and did nearly everything that we wanted to do.
    Plus, with this thread in the back of my mind, I tried to makes notes/remember things to share with you as well.
    Without me sounding like 'I had a great holiday, would you like to hear about it' ? - I had a great holiday, would anyone be interested in the RELEVANT bits ? In other words, the stuff that would/could/should be useful to anyone else fancying a similar type of thing ?

blackcat.gif
    Yes please!
    Apart from always enjoying hearing about anyone's travels, I'm hoping to pick up tips from you for our trip next year!
    Glad to hear you had a fab time, all that planning seems to have paid off.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi folks, this has the potential of being one of my biggest ever posts on here, so I think that I'll break it down into 3 seperate sections - what we did, general advice from our break & answering any specific suggestions/thoughts from previous posts.

Before I start, if anyone thinks that I can help them in any way with their planning, or if they have any questions about what/how we did things, please give me a shout. We had an absolutely marvellous time, and if I can help anyone else to enjoy their holiday even more, I'd love to help.

Just bear in mind that this holiday was done over 3 and a half weeks in early May and is heavily biased to keeping our 2 children happy and contented, also, I'm not going to say that any of these were the best things to do in each place, but they are (some of) the things that we did and this is how we got on.

OK, our holiday first.(don't be surprised if I keep coming back and editing the post ;))
    Las Vegas 2 nights Stayed in the Excalibur for two nights and found it perfectly fine with 2 small children. LAS definitely is NOT a destination to take children/young families and 2 nights was perfect to get over the 25 hour journey (3 cheers for portable DVD players). The biggest hit in LAS for the children ? The Bellagio fountains and the 'fun fair' at Circus Circus.
    Picking up the hire car (a base Chrysler 300, more later) from the hotel itself, rather than the airport is an absolute winner of an idea, it saved us loads of time and a dollop of hassle.
    long boring journey through the desert towards Flagstaff (250 miles) (after you've crossed the truly awesome Hoover Dam) although the last bit b4 Flagstaff was more stimulating, then an absolutely stunning drive down 89A to Cottonwood (just past Sedona) for about 50 miles. The Interstate is quicker, but this route is gorgeous. Make sure that you stop off at Oak Creek Canyon Viewpoint for a truly breathtaking sight. We travelled past Sedona for a few miles to Cottonwood for a couple of nights which was better sited for going on the Verde Canyon Railroad which is a very relaxing (if not overly stimulating) way to spend 4 hours. If you fancy it, book in advance as it often sells out. Travelling along the Verde Canyon in the open air, trying to spot the Bald Eagles (or as MTK calls them Boiled Eagles) was a real chillout and at night we had a really enjoyable evening with at Blazin M's Chuck Wagon, just down the road, which was great fun.
    Flying over the Red Rocks of Sedona in a Biplane was an absolutely wonderful expereince (according to Mrs Cat :j) and worth every $.
    For some R&R, having a mooch around Jerome was a nice way to spend a bit of time.
    If you do fancy spending some time in the Sedona area, towns like Cottonwood are a LOT easier on the pocket.;)
    A few days in the Phoenix area in which we didn't do to much at all. Visited Goldfield Ghostown which was fun and had a trip out to Canyon Lake (website doesn't do it justice) for a bit of scenery spotting !!
    Off to Tucson for 4 nights (150 miles down the 'Old Road' to an absolutely stunning B&B, with the most hospitable Innkeepers you could imagine - if you've never stayed in a US B&B, you don't know what you're missing, this place/these people was (in our mind) special.
    We really enjoyed the Desert Museum, Pima Air & Space Museum & visited the Boneyard (IIRC, you can only visit the Boneyard from PIMA). If you fancy the Boneyard (& it was a real eye opener for me), you must have proper ID to go on the tour i.e your Passport. Pinnacle Peak was a fun place to eat.
    We REALLY enjoyed Tucson and could have happily stayed here longer.
    Very long, very boring drive through the desert from Tucson to San Diego (Via Phoenix), over 500 miles of near mind numbing nothingness, but the repeated Border Control checkpoints & the trip through the mountains stops your brain from shutting down completely.
    San Diego for 4 nights (everyone loves San Diego !). Visited the Zoo (of course), USS Midway and took a harbour cruise. If you take a cruise & a tour of the Midway, you can save a few $$$. Checked out some of the local smaller beaches/bays/inlets and had some really, really enjoyable beachtime with The Cats.
    Mrs Cat indulged in some quality Retail Therapy at the Outlet Malls (:eek::eek::eek:). Or for a bit of Easy retailing after visiting the Midway, go to Seaport Village, just along teh Seafront
    Went to Legoland California, which was perfect for smaller children and their parents.
    Then over the Scenic route (in fact, the undescribably fantastically scenic route via Highway 74 from Termecula - the final 20 miles were truly breathtaking. Palm Desert is HOT, as in REALLY HOT. We got there at 9.30 at night and it was 96deg f :eek:. TBH, with temps hitting 114 deg during the day, we didn't explore the Palm Desert are to much, but the Cable Cars (30 deg cooler at the top) were a great trip out ($3 less if you go after 3.00pm, see it is a MSE tip idea ;)), the enormous wind farm is worth the drive through and going on the bumper boats in Palm Desert for a soaking to cool you down in the evening was great fun.

Time for bed, I'm bushed. More tomorrow :beer:

blackcat.gif
  • malid
    malid Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome back MTC and glad you enjoyed. We've never been in May (usually July, August or September) and over the 18 years we've travelled to the USA, the three children (two on first trip in 1990) have grown from toddlers - (in 1992 we had a 9yr old, 3 yr old and 1 yr old) to teenagers. Last year it was just me, hubby and the youngest - then 15 almost 16. Next year. when we will definately being going back, we may have the three again - 17, 20 and 25 with a girlfriend possibly!

Excalibur and Circus Circus have always been a hit but I agree, 2 days has usually been plenty. Glad you enjoyed the cable car in Palm Desert. I've always shied away - a bit to scary cos I'm none too good on heights - but the view must have been awesome. We fancied Jerome last year but them opted for Oatmane where Clark Gable and Carole Lombard spent their honeymoon night.

Looking forward to hear more about your trip; it brings back super memories and anticipation - may start counting down for next year! :j
  • Scoobychick
    Options
    Welcome back :hello: Glad you had an excellent time :D We're just two weeks and four days away from setting off on our road trip and I can't wait. We've pre-booked some initial accommodation in San Fran and are winging the rest of it. We're definitely doing the drive down to Sedona so thanks for that little insight.
  • pandas66
    pandas66 Posts: 18,811 Forumite
    Options
    But did you see the pandas?

:)
    Panda xx

:Tg :jo:Dn ;)e:Dn;)o:jw :T :eek:

missing kipper No 2.....:cool:
  • Coolhandluke
    Coolhandluke Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Did you use your mobile phone and if so how did it work out?
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi folks, this has the potential of being one of my biggest ever posts on here,

blackcat.gif

cont'd :j

the journey from Palm Desert to Santa Barbara (initially past the wind farms) was a fairly tedious 220 miles or so and it seemed to take ages to get round the sprawl that is Los Angeles - thankfully, we avoided the worst of LA by travelling on Sunday.
    Santa Barbara is a really nice place to visit and the whole pier/beach/boardwalk area is great. The children loved the Zoo (much smaller and a lot more 'intimate' than San Diego and the whole area is just 'nice'.

MTK & I went from here To San Luis Opisbo via Amtrak (Business Class :j) whilst Mrs Cat dreove with MTK2- the journey by train was one of the (many) highlights of the trip for me. The train hugs the coastline for quite a while, the scenery is stunning and the other passengers & Amtrak staff were great to spend a few hours with.
    San Luis Opisbo (SLO) is the nicest place that I've ever visited in America (probably anywhere) and Mrs Cat feels the same. We both struggle to define why we like it so much, but we both do !! If we were to relocate to anywhere in the World, we could fit into SLO easily. Very easily. Seamlessly. As though we'd lived there forever. The place is my idea of how SmallTown (well City, population 44000) America works so well. The place is just IMO spot on. Whilst in SLO we beached at Avila Beach which was absolutely perfect for our family and spent a bit of time at the nearby Avila Valley Barn which had a fantastic selection of fresh fruit & veg, as well as HM ice creams, fudges, gifts etc etc, and animals to feed with yesterdays veggies (all FOC) - reading this now, it sounds quite naff, but at the time it was a nice thing to do. I can still taste the nectarines & cherries.:j:j. But the highlight of SLO for us is the Thursday night Farmers Market where the middles of town is closed off and a huge Farmers Market with massive BBQ's, Fruit & Veg sellers, flower sellers, musicians, street performers, corn sellers, small businesses, Political parties (actually very entertaining to listen to), Soap Boxers, childrens entertainers etc, etc, etc take over the town and it become a huge street party. A goodly amount of students from nearby Cal Poly descend and the whole place has a great atmosphere.

On our last holiday day, we travelled 150 miles North along Highway1, via the Big Sur to Monterey. If you love driving and you're in the area, IMO, you MUST do the drive. In parts of the drive, its hard to keep your eyes on the road. After a 3 hour stop in Monterey to visit the aquirium ( a real shame that we couldn't have stayed longer, much longer), where I fell in love with Sea Otters, all over again, and a stop on Fisheramns Wharf to scoff a final ice cream and watch the basking sea lions, we drove the remaining 120 miles to San Francisco to check into our hotel and then did a 30 mile round trip to the Golden Gate Bridge, took some piccies and then went back to our hotel.

Up early the next morning, returned the car (with a heap of extra miles on it) caught our flights, returned home and are now basking in the memories of an absolutely wonderful holiday (& already planning the next one).

We had an absolute whale of a time, and if anyone would like the names of any of the place s that we stayed at (particularly the Tucson B&B) I'd be happy to pass them on the you.

Now for Part 2, General Stuff about our holiday that may be useful for others.

blackcat.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport