PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for the freezer - vegetarian

Options

Comments

• Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    Vegetable lasagnes

Slice up veg (whatever, I used just corgette and a bit of carrot but you can use whatever you have)
    Put in a pan with a tin or 2 of tomatoes and some garlic and herbs,
    When nearly cooked build into a lasagne, finishing with a pasta layer.
    Pour cheese sauce over the top covering all of the pasta.

Leek and cheese lasagne

Chop up leeks (2.2lbs)
    Melt 12oz butter in a pan
    Add leeks
    Cook for about 10mins till cooked.
    Drain the leeks over a bowl, saving the buttery juice
    Build lasagne with a layer of pasta then leeks, grated cheese, 1tsp thyme (you can use any herb, but recipe says thyme) then pasta etc. finishing with a layer of leeks and making sure the leeks cover the pasta.
    Put buttery juice into a measuring jug and make up to 12floz with hot water
    Pour around the edge of the lasagne sheets (if you pour it in the middle the leeks move).

This is really nice and quite cheap too. Don't use too much cheese or it can be a bit rich (can't remember the amount given in the recipe sorry)
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hmmm just having stir fry tonight, and thought what if you pre-prepared the veggies and them froze them? You could freeze a mix of sliced carrots, cabbage, onion, pepper, courgette etc. Not sure if beansprouts and mushrooms would freeze well. I put tofu, sea salad, cashew nuts, and sesame seeds in mine too, not sure about freezing though.

Anyway they sell these bags of frozen stir fry veggies in supermarkets, but this way you get what you want. Then all you would have to do is chuck the noodles in for 4 mins, and add spices etc to the veggies. Might work :confused:
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • ksh123
    ksh123 Posts: 1,248 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    it seems that most of the free recipe pages are from american sites. What do all you cooks use when the recipe calls for a 'cup' of something, or even a third of a cup? I don't know how to translate that measurement.
    thanks
    Stop looking for answers....
    The most you can hope for are clues.....:)
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Theres a post on here somewhere where someone listed measurement conversions, but I bought some American measuring cups, you can get them in Tesco and probably other supermarkets. Its just so much easier to get a set of cups out than my scales which live in the back of the cupboard.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Galtizz
    Options
    ksh123 wrote:
    it seems that most of the free recipe pages are from american sites. What do all you cooks use when the recipe calls for a 'cup' of something, or even a third of a cup? I don't know how to translate that measurement.
    thanks

I think 1 american cup is 274ml I use my measuring jug and fill it up to that point (roughly)
  • tiff
    Options
    Ah but a cup of flour wont be the same weight as a cup of carrots say, will it?
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Galtizz
    Options
    It won't but it's 274millilitres (sp?) which is volume not weight. I use a measuring jug up to the 274ml(ish) mark to measure out carrots, flour, stock, chocolate chips or anything else that needs cup measurements.
  • tiff
    Options
    Oh right, I see. Sorry I'm not the brightest spark sometimes!
  • ksh123
    ksh123 Posts: 1,248 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks folks, that's really helpful, and I'll look into the Tesco measuring cups too.
    Stop looking for answers....
    The most you can hope for are clues.....:)
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Galtizz wrote:
    It won't but it's 274millilitres (sp?) which is volume not weight. I use a measuring jug up to the 274ml(ish) mark to measure out carrots, flour, stock, chocolate chips or anything else that needs cup measurements.
    Some jugs do have the cups measurement on the side anyway.
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure