PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Slow Cooker - The Recipe Collection

Options

Comments

• MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's a sad day in the MATH household. My trusty slo-cooker, complete with duck tape to hold the controls on and a nail in lieu of a lid handle has finally bitten the dust. Went to bed last night leaving it merrily bubbling away only to get up this morning and find it as cold as the grave. Despite emergency tweaking 'n' fiddling I couldn't bring it back to life and at 10:30am I conducted a little service by the wheelie bin at which I recited Delia's method for roasting a leg of lamb and celermoniously cut the plug off:eek:

Is this just desserts for me teasing TM about her tripple slo-cooker household?:confused:

Even worse, since I am in the process of equipping our just bought holiday home I can't afford to rush out and buy a new one:(
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I hope you kept the crock bit for huge souffle type concoctions?

be careful you use the plug only on suitably similarly fused equipment ;)

do we need to start a slow cooker withdrawal symptom thread?
    Blah
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Aww Math, that's really bad luck :(. Probably shouldn't say this, as Martin would cut my arms off, but couldn't you get a new one from a catalogue on tick? :eek:

I really came into this thread to post a link to a brill site I've just found... http://www.justslowcooking.com/ but I don't suppose you wanted to know that right now? :mad:.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Aww, MATH, if you lived nearer I'd lend you one of mine.

You'll either have to convince yourself that it will be money-saving in the long run to get one, or start trawling around car boot sales. You could always put an ad in the 'wanted' column of your local paper....:D
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    If he put "wanted, slow cooker" he might get innundated with applications from OAPs who take forever to assemble a rock bun mix! :eek:
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Congrats on the holiday home MATH :)
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for that. I'm feeling a bit better now and have decided to wait until I see a cooker going cheap at a car boot or something. I'll probably be posting less after Easter cos I'm going to set everything up at the coast and then will be over there quite a lot with the kidz (don't have internet there) You can take the boy out of the Ol'Style but I'm afraid you can't take the Ol'Style out of the boy. Little Miss MATH and I are already planning to collect shells etc to make our own Nautical Pot Pourri to give as gifts:D and dry our own sand to dye with food colouring to make our own sand craft 'n' cards.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As I am still getting used to my new slow cooker which is twice the size of my old one, I decided to treat myself to a proper slow cooker book written by a British rather than American person.

It arrived this morning and I am fed up !!!!! It has obviously been adapted (and not too well) from an American book as it is full of references to zuchinni etc!!!!

I am far better off sticking to the recipes and ideas on this site and they are free.

To be fair it does mention things like lemon cheese (curd?) and puddings which I might be able to adapt but it is full of ingredients I know I cannot get in my home town.

To cheer myself up I have come up with my own recipe -

I skinned and jointed a small chicken, finely sliced a large onion, chopped courgette and asparagus - then poured condensed chicken soup over the lot and put in slow cooker.
    It is not as extravagant as it sounds as I got veg and meat from local market a couple of days ago.

I know daughters may refuse to try it BUT if I make pancakes and roll up the mixture in them then they will probably give it a go.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Elona, what was the title of the book you bought so I know to avoid it. I've been thinking of asking for a slow cooker cookbook for my birthday but need one that is recommended. I usually take recipes off the net, but I do love cookery books too :)
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The slow cooker cookbook by Gina Steer - I got it through Amazon and it looked British!

Next time I will go to a big bookshop and leaf through the actual book to be on the safe side - then order through Amazon or the book people.:)
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills