MSE news: Australian giant abolishes "unfair" bank charges

Options
2»

Comments

• natweststaffmember
    Options
    HBOS have the Reward account at the minute and the £35.00 chg's and £28.00 overdraft chg's have been removed on that account and been replaced with a £5.00 fee each day your overdrawn, but if you have an overdraft on the account of under £2'500.00 and you use it there is a fee of £1.00 per day and £2.00 per day over £2'500.00.

I think this type of charging is going to come into play with all accounts across all the banks soon as another way of getting cash back from us.
    It came in about a year ago I think.
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
  • Banking_Gremlin
    Options
    It came in about a year ago I think.

The Reward acc came out around end of Jan this Year its replaced the current acc and the High interest current acc.
    It doesn't have debit or credit interest either it just pays £5 into the acc when you put £1000.00 a month into it.
  • natweststaffmember
    Options
    The Reward acc came out around end of Jan this Year its replaced the current acc and the High interest current acc.
    It doesn't have debit or credit interest either it just pays £5 into the acc when you put £1000.00 a month into it.
    Time flies as they say, I remember that and yes it must be then. thanks for correcting me and I SHOULD know better.
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
  • Banking_Gremlin
    Options
    Time flies as they say, I remember that and yes it must be then. thanks for correcting me and I SHOULD know better.

Hehe I forgive you just this once ok :rotfl:
  • kiwigirluk
    kiwigirluk Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    The National Australia Bank also own the Bank of New Zealand; I have had an account there for 23 years (since I was seven). I get charged £1.80 (NZ$3.50) per month for 30 EFTPOS or ATM transactions (what the UK calls chip & pin), unlimited transfers online between my accounts, and 10 electronic transactions (so paying bills online, transferring money to my Nan etc). Anything above this is 25c (or about 10p). I also earn better interest than here in the UK. Combined with the assurance I won't get stung for being overdrawn, I think the Kiwi (and Australian) deal is better.
  • jos004
    jos004 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    kiwigirluk wrote: »
    The National Australia Bank also own the Bank of New Zealand; I have had an account there for 23 years (since I was seven). I get charged £1.80 (NZ$3.50) per month for 30 EFTPOS or ATM transactions (what the UK calls chip & pin), unlimited transfers online between my accounts, and 10 electronic transactions (so paying bills online, transferring money to my Nan etc). Anything above this is 25c (or about 10p). I also earn better interest than here in the UK. Combined with the assurance I won't get stung for being overdrawn, I think the Kiwi (and Australian) deal is better.

The Aussie and Kiwi banking system, is far superior to that in the UK.
    I believe cheques are cleared in a couple of days?
  • kiwigirluk
    Options
    Cheques are usually cleared next day if submitted before 3pm, occasionally two days.

Inter-bank payments (so transfers to individuals or companies) can be checked in an hour.

Balances are always up to date; I can do my grocery shopping with my debit card, walk out of the shop, phone for a balance update on my mobile/ go to an ATM, and they will have already deducted the grocery shopping. They also don't allow you to pay for anything with a debit card if you've not got the money/agreed overdraft in your account (also goes for ATM withdrawals). Generally the only way you can go into informal overdraft is if you issue a cheque or direct debit is taken from your account. I think thats a significant difference between the UK and NZ.

Chip & Pin (EFTPOS) has been in place since 1995; I believe NZ was the first country to introduce it. Internet banking wasn't too far behind; I'm sure I remember doing this back in the late 1990s. I was definitely doing transfers by phone in mid-90s, and I wasn't unusual.
  • kiwigirluk
    Options
    Just noticed that other banks in Australia and New Zealand are joining in the party... Westpac is looking to reduce fees from $60 to $9 (around £28 to £4), and others are considering scrapping them altogether.

If only British banks would join in the party....
  • tanyajane4
    Options
    If we over our current overdraft limit - we have a big one as it is a mortgage account - we have to pay £25 a day!! so I hope they do something!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure