We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Islamic saving accounts.

Hello.
I've read that if you're a Muslim, then you can't technically  earn interest  but can make a profit payment. Is there really much difference  other than the termology used?
Also, can a non-muslim open an account with these banks?
Thanks 

Comments

• moneysaver1978
    moneysaver1978 Posts: 452 Forumite
    100 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Although the article was written in 2019, I think it's still relevant - https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/09/al-rayan-bank-launches-tale-topping-savings-account---here-s-wha/
  • mebu60
    mebu60 Posts: 1,157 Forumite
    Photogenic Second Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    No, (though the expected profit is not guaranteed but in my experience it has always been met).
    Yes.
    HMRC treats expected profit as interest. 

• friolento
    friolento Posts: 1,515 Forumite
    First Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    masonic said:
    HMRC treats them no differently for tax. And no, there is no requirement to be of a certain faith. I've been a happy customer of several of these banks and my only belief was in chasing the best rates.

Same here   
  • allegro120
    allegro120 Posts: 1,148 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 23 April at 5:47PM
    Malt290 said:
    Hello.
    I've read that if you're a Muslim, then you can't technically  earn interest  but can make a profit payment. Is there really much difference  other than the termology used?
    Also, can a non-muslim open an account with these banks?
    Thanks 
    Yes, anyone can open an account with Sharia compliant banks. You don't have to be a Muslim. 

In practice there is no difference between 'profit' and 'interest' except 'profit' is not covered by FSCS (capital is still covered).  I've had and still have a number of savings accounts with Sharia banks and never had any problems with them.  Also bear in mind that when you see advertised interest as EPR it is equivalent to 'gross', not AER, so the AER is slightly higher than the published rate.
  • kimwp
    kimwp Posts: 2,148 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary Photogenic 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    My understanding is that it is not ok within the Muslim faith to make money by lending money - so investments have to be a format where all involved share the risk of gaining or losing.
    Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 24,188 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 23 April at 6:05PM
    In practice there is no difference between 'profit' and 'interest' except 'profit' is not covered by FSCS (capital is still covered).  I've had and still have a number of savings accounts with Sharia banks and never had any problems with them.  Also bear in mind that when you see advertised interest as EPR it is equivalent to 'gross', not AER, so the AER is slightly higher than the published rate.
    Do you have an authoritative source for that? A Sharia bank is still obliged to pay you any profit that has accrued, so a claim against them under Part 15 FSMA 2000 would include this. The only difference in practice would be that for a fixed term account, where profit would cease at the point of failure, whereas for a conventional account you could elect to hold the account to maturity for full interest.
  • Malt290
    Malt290 Posts: 343 Forumite
    100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    OK, thank you for the link.
  • Malt290
    mebu60 said:
    No, (though the expected profit is not guaranteed but in my experience it has always been met).
    Yes.
    HMRC treats expected profit as interest. 

I wondered if they were treated like mainstream banks.

• Malt290
    friolento said:
    masonic said:
    HMRC treats them no differently for tax. And no, there is no requirement to be of a certain faith. I've been a happy customer of several of these banks and my only belief was in chasing the best rates.

Same here   
    Don't tell me a regular  saving  account:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.