Upgrading shed project!

Options
Hello all!

According to my research, a shed needs to be on a level with no sloping. Our shed is already on a concrete base but for some reason the shed is on a slope (apparently fitted 2.5 years ago by the previous owner)

Facing the shed:

Side of the shed:

Which is probably why the door isn't straight:

I was thinking of putting in a wedge of some sort like these but wonder if they would do more harm than good. What are your thoughts?

Speaking of doors.... I am also looking at organising and I liked the idea of putting garden tools on the door which I assume probably needs replacing the hinges, I think something like https://www.screwfix.com/p/black-powder-coated-light-duty-tee-hinges-305mm-2-pack/36203

Other than the slope, the shed seems to be in a good shape (no pun intended!) but I have access to the back of the shed (thanks to the storm, there's currently no fence!) so if it makes sense to level up, I guess now is a good time... :D

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is it level on the base? & this is a case of the frame is just not straight
    Life in the slow lane
  • moneysaver1978
    moneysaver1978 Posts: 370 Forumite
    Options
    I think the concrete base itself isn't 100% level
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,605 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You could get stronger hinges, but the weakest point will then be the frame they are screwed into.
    A door with any weight of tools on it will inevitably sag under the weight and annoy you every time you open it and get hit by a swinging garden fork! ;)

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• moneysaver1978
    Options
    victor2 said:
    You could get stronger hinges, but the weakest point will then be the frame they are screwed into.
    A door with any weight of tools on it will inevitably sag under the weight and annoy you every time you open it and get hit by a swinging garden fork! ;)
    I could put in battens to strength the door if that would help? I have plenty of wood cutoffs I could use :wink:
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,605 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    victor2 said:
    I could put in battens to strength the door if that would help? I have plenty of wood cutoffs I could use :wink:

It's more the strength of the shed frame the door is fixed to, rather than the door itself.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,269 Forumite
    Options
    victor2 said:
    Probably better to put the battens on the walls .
  • moneysaver1978
    Options
    victor2 said:
    victor2 said:

It's more the strength of the shed frame the door is fixed to, rather than the door itself.
    Ah true. Maybe not heavy garden tools then! :)
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    edited 22 April at 7:31PM
    Options
    I would suspect that the existing concrete base isn't level.  The weight of the shed will then push the unsupported areas down.  I have exactly that problem with my shed but not to anything like the same extent.  The base was already there when our shed was erected.  There had been a smaller shed on the large base previously and the problem wasn't obvious then.
    I'm not convinced that wedges would help as they would only lift the end of the timbers and could then allow the timber floor, assuming it has one, to sag. 
  • moneysaver1978
    Options
    TELLIT01 said:
    I would suspect that the existing concrete base isn't level.  The weight of the shed will then push the unsupported areas down.  I have exactly that problem with my shed but not to anything like the same extent.  The base was already there when our shed was erected.  There had been a smaller shed on the large base previously and the problem wasn't obvious then.
    I'm not convinced that wedges would help as they would only lift the end of the timbers and could then allow the timber floor, assuming it has one, to sag. 
    Thank you. So I guess it's best to leave it as it is.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback