Freezing the 3 credit agencies files

Options
Hi just looking for some advice, I'm based in the UK.
I think I've been phishd and am trying to freeze my credit with experian equifax and transunion. (I have frozen my bank card)
Experian I only managed to lock, I have paid acount with equifax but apparently can't freeze (they told me, i can only add sub correction password,i havd now started ghat process which wil take 5 days (!) to appear on my report with them apparently) even though research said I should be able to freeze immediately. I think they can freeze in America, uk seems behind?
Transunion I can't seem to make a uk account with, all I got was a free credit report. 

I've been at this since 7am,trying to lock everything down but doesn't seem straight forward with last two, especially transunion. Apparently I need to do it with the 3 because any of them could be targeted.
Any advice please?? Have I done all I can do with each of the 3 big uk ones?
Tia

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd be more concerned with contacting banks and credit cards first.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,233 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You haven't given many details around what the specific problem is - did you buy something from a dodgy site and enter all your personal information?

You can instigate cifas protection if you think someone will use your data to open a credit account in your name:

If you're worried about people accessing existing accounts - you'd have to call each of your banks/financial institutions and inform them directly so that they can put an extra layer of security on your account, to ensure it is you that makes contact.

An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh and stopping whatever actually got phished. facebook? Outlook?
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • dowling71
    dowling71 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Brie said:
    I'd be more concerned with contacting banks and credit cards first.
    Done thanks 👍 
  • dowling71
    Options
    Brie said:
    Oh and stopping whatever actually got phished. facebook? Outlook?
    Done thanks 
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,806 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 29 March at 2:46PM
    Options
    Can you freeze them in the UK? Thought that was a US capability that isn't available here.

Its very different in the US to the UK, so if it was US information you say that said you could, it may be misleading.
  • dowling71
    Options
    Hi  

yes I suppose my question is have I done all I can with the 3 credit agencies?

I was under the impression i could freeze each by contacting each individually. This seems not to be the case unless i am missing something. 

Thanks yes I contacted cifas 👍 👍 

• cymruchris
    Options
    dowling71 said:
    Hi  

yes I suppose my question is have I done all I can with the 3 credit agencies?

I was under the impression i could freeze each by contacting each individually. This seems not to be the case unless i am missing something. 

Thanks yes I contacted cifas 👍 👍 

The most important thing to have done is contact existing account providers if you fear someone will directly access your accounts as they stand - and if you fear someone will run a load of new credit applications - then the cifas protection is the best way to go.

The credit reference agencies are more the data providers rather than the decision makers - so creating a song and dance with them might not help your cause much, the previous mentioned steps should have most impact.

Do you fear someone accessing existing accounts, or creating new ones?

An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • dowling71
    Options

I mostly fear credit being applied for in my name. 
    Everything that was said and done, I think that's what they were after

• cymruchris
    Options
    Cifas protection is the right way forwards then.

When you yourself apply for credit while it's in force - credit providers will ask for additional ID and should verify that it's actually you before granting an account. This will mean you'll have to jump through a few extra hoops, but that stops the fraudsters from doing it with the info they've already got.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback