HSBC mastercard rewards issue

Options
Today I received my new card, but I don't quite understand these rewards things.
First of all I went online to register my card with the rewards webpage HSBC tells you to, it wouldn't let me register ,
Next I downloaded the rewards app and that was fine, I was able to register my card on the app but I only see a bunch of shops/services I will never shop/use . Are those the only places to redeem points? Also the webpage that I could not register with , gives different shops, so I find it confusing. I thought the app and webpage would be the same but it doesn't look like

can anyone please explain to me how this works and any idea why the webpage would not let me register my card? 
thank you

Comments

• cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,233 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    To be fair - it's a very confusing app. I really don't like it. It keeps logging me out, and I've got to go through the whole palaver of adding my card again if I haven't opened it for a few weeks.

Every time you spend on your credit card - it automatically collects 'points in the app.

At any time, the rewards app will show you recent transactions, and you can elect to knock your points earned off one of those transactions.

They have 'shopping deals' in the app to gain extra points - but it doesn't show anywhere if you've ever earned extra points. It's very convoluted and vague.

I'd personally ignore all the offers - there are better deals usually through cash back sites.

Once you've got over a tenners worth of points - just knock them off a recent transaction, and ignore all the other guff.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • borderline
    borderline Posts: 347 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Once you've got over a tenners worth of points - just knock them off a recent transaction, and ignore all the other guff.
    of any transaction of any shop and not those few shops/services I see on the app?
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,233 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

of any transaction of any shop and not those few shops/services I see on the app?
    It lists all eligible transactions, which for me have been any physical purchases of goods from anywhere. I think there are a couple of exceptions - but not many - so if you have £10 worth of points, then buy £30 of shopping at Sainsbury's - you can then knock the £10 off retrospectively once the charge has hit your HSBC account. It's not restricted to the few names you see in the app - they are there for extra points etc which as I mentioned seem very convoluted, and I've never been able to find a log of points earned to know if they were ever allocated. All you see is a running total. It's very poorly thought out and executed. Typical HSBC :):smile:
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • borderline
    borderline Posts: 347 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

It lists all eligible transactions, which for me have been any physical purchases of goods from anywhere. I think there are a couple of exceptions - but not many - so if you have £10 worth of points, then buy £30 of shopping at Sainsbury's - you can then knock the £10 off retrospectively once the charge has hit your HSBC account. It's not restricted to the few names you see in the app - they are there for extra points etc which as I mentioned seem very convoluted, and I've never been able to find a log of points earned to know if they were ever allocated. All you see is a running total. It's very poorly thought out and executed. Typical HSBC :):smile:
    Thank you, the leaflet I was sent along with my card doesn't really explain how this works .  
    Today I had register again with the app, it's useless, it doesn't really remember you. And by the complains on the App Store it's been like that for a very long time 
    I just need to sort out the webpage version that says I'm not eligible to register.. go and figure.
    I'll call HSBC 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure