Trading 212 pies - record keeping

Options
Horracce
Horracce Posts: 29 Forumite
First Post
edited 28 March at 4:52PM in Savings & investments

Hi all, can anyone spread light on how they do record keeping on “pies” whilst using Trading 212 ?

Some pies can be quite big (upto 50 different companies) .. so if held in a GIA, and gains are made, how does anyone go about listing / calculating the elements within to get the calculations done?

Comments

• Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What's a pie?  Unusal investment terminology. 
  • Horracce
    First Post
    Options

A pie is a collection of securities - stocks & ETFs. Each security is represented as a slice of the pie. Each pie can hold up to 50 securities. You can have multiple pies. Pies can be designed by you, by the platform or by fellow users of the platform. You can rebalance percentages of each slice using a slider for each slice or in bulk for the whole pie. Slices are invariably fractional shares / ETFs .. you can manually or auto invest in the pie and allocation to slices is allocated based on your previous designation(s) .. hope this explains it ok .. 

• PloughmansLunch
    PloughmansLunch Posts: 494 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I’ve recently copied the UK Income Factory pie for dividends. I had deposited £1 with Hargreaves Lansdown a while back so I could continue to use their app, as I find it pretty easy to maintain several watchlists there to have an overview of all my investments. Adding all the share fragments manually to the HL app was a complete pain though, and will be another headache updating any further lump sum investments. I don’t know if anywhere has an API that would pull the required info from T212 but it would certainly be useful. 
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,334 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 28 March at 5:55PM
    Options
    Horracce said:

Hi all, can anyone spread light on how they do record keeping on “pies” whilst using Trading 212 ?

Some pies can be quite big (upto 50 different companies) .. so if held in a GIA, and gains are made, how does anyone go about listing / calculating the elements within to get the calculations done?

You need to keep track of each individual purchase of each security. I keep track of everything in MS Money. T212's 'pies' are just for convenience, they're not funds. If it's too much hassle you should look at buying a ETF, Investment Trust or other type of fund(s) that covers what you're looking for and then you only need to keep records for that fund.

Of course, if you use pies in an Isa you don't need to worry about record keeping at all.
  • Horracce
    First Post
    Options
    Might do that after April 6th
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,065 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You can rebalance percentages of each slice using a slider for each slice or in bulk for the whole pie.

If you do this does it involve buying and selling of the existing pie slices? That sounds like a lot of record keeping and you wouldn't want to do it too often

• Horracce
    First Post
    Options
    ColdIron said:
    You can rebalance percentages of each slice using a slider for each slice or in bulk for the whole pie.

If you do this does it involve buying and selling of the existing pie slices? That sounds like a lot of record keeping and you wouldn't want to do it too often

Yes I think it does.. each adjustment to each slice is effectively a small sale or purchase.. I think I will use it inside an ISA after April 6th .. good job we will be able to spread ISA interests over more than one provider..
  • Hoenir
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Horracce said:

A pie is a collection of securities - stocks & ETFs. Each security is represented as a slice of the pie. Each pie can hold up to 50 securities. You can have multiple pies. Pies can be designed by you, by the platform or by fellow users of the platform. You can rebalance percentages of each slice using a slider for each slice or in bulk for the whole pie. Slices are invariably fractional shares / ETFs .. you can manually or auto invest in the pie and allocation to slices is allocated based on your previous designation(s) .. hope this explains it ok .. 

Everyday is a school day. 

If the funds are invested in pie within a GIA rather than an ISA. Hopefully you can download the data into a spreadsheet. As the record keeping seems potentially to be extremely time consuming.  The greater the number of pies the bigger the potential headache when it comes to reporting CGT.  

Strikes me as being little more than the gamification of investing. As 50 stocks of any description is far too many for an amateur investor to either research or keep track of properly in a portfolio. 
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,065 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 March at 11:16PM
    Options
    Do T212 charge stamp duty on fractional UK shares? T212 must have an internal pool of shares which they have paid SDRT on and presumably would want to recoup by passing on to their clients. A lot of churn, some resulting from frequent or heavy handed use of the slider, must produce a small but perhaps not insignificant positive income stream for them and consequent leakage for their users
    Just idle speculation on a wet Thursday night
  • Hoenir
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 29 March at 1:04AM
    Options
    ColdIron said:
    T212 must have an internal pool of shares which they have paid SDRT on and presumably would want to recoup by passing on to their clients.
    You would assume an investment bank such as Goldman Sachs sits behind such a structure. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback