Travel insurance for long visit

Options
Hi.  My wife is from the US but lives permanently in the UK.  However, she has to travel to the US frequently, to care for her mother and she can be gone for many months.

Can you recommend any companies that would provide medical insurance for her? As it is uncertain how long each visit will be, maybe someone who charges a monthly fee, until you return.

Thanks

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Are you comfortable it's just medical? So if she becomes ill out there she'll have to stay until such time she is fit enough to take a normal commercial flight?

If so you are best looking at private medical insurance in the US, what's available will depend on which state she is going to be spending her time there. Note that deductibles on US PMI can be fairly high.
  • Surfmonkey
    Surfmonkey Posts: 10 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks @DullGreyGuy. Although her family live out there, I WOULD want her to have cover to bring her home, just in case it's something more serious than just needed to stay there longer, to recover. I know what you mean about the deductables....terrible!
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks @DullGreyGuy. Although her family live out there, I WOULD want her to have cover to bring her home, just in case it's something more serious than just needed to stay there longer, to recover. I know what you mean about the deductables....terrible!
    Then you will need travel insurance
  • Surfmonkey
    Surfmonkey Posts: 10 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    @DullGreyGuy Yes. Travel insurance for long visit.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback