Public liability insurance for dogs

Options
Hello,
I’m currently volunteer as a dog fosterer for a rescue kennel and have the qualification I need to get a dog boarding license. This year I’m home boarding a dog for two people so I can decide if I want to start a home boarding business. My earnings will be under £1000 so don’t require a license as yet and I think I don’t need to do a self assessment. I feel I should have public liability insurance?? Can I do this before I’ve registered as a sole trader? Can anyone recommend a company?? 
Thanks

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 28 March at 2:56PM
    Options
    You're a sole trader from as soon as you start trading, the HMRC registration is only in relation to taxation not become a sole trader. Remember its £1,000 of revenue in a financial year before you must register, not profit. 

You can buy business insurance from whenever you like, there is no requirement for a business to have over £1,000 turnover to buy insurance. 

There is a lot less direct to buyer insurance in business compared to personal insurances... even this site/moneysupermarket use a broker (SimplyBusiness) rather than build anything that looks at prices outside of what that broker can offer. Check with a few online brokers and then maybe the few direct insurers like DirectLine4Business

Just remember that you are a business now and dont get the same level of statutory protections that a consumer gets!
  • Shabbycat
    Shabbycat Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you. Lots to think about.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A Google search for dog boarding insurance will give you options.
  • Shabbycat
    Shabbycat Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Great idea, thank you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business