Bathroom window humidity sensor extractor fan

Options
blackstar
blackstar Posts: 364 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Hi

Does anyone happen to know if you can buy bathroom window humidity sensor extractor fans?

If anyone can maybe give me some links to some decent looking ones ie on B and Q or Wicks etc I would be really grateful as I have had a look and can't quite figure it out.

Anyone any suggestions on the best type of extractor fans for the bathroom window. Can't have one on ceiling apparently due to how close the window is to ceiling or something. 
I have heard the humidity detection ones are not good as you want it running before the humidity hits that level. 

Thanks all

Comments

• Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 28 March at 7:46AM
    Options
    blackstar said:
    Hi

Does anyone happen to know if you can buy bathroom window humidity sensor extractor fans?

If anyone can maybe give me some links to some decent looking ones ie on B and Q or Wicks etc I would be really grateful as I have had a look and can't quite figure it out.

Anyone any suggestions on the best type of extractor fans for the bathroom window. Can't have one on ceiling apparently due to how close the window is to ceiling or something. 
    I have heard the humidity detection ones are not good as you want it running before the humidity hits that level. 

Thanks all
    Humidstat fans run when humidity is over a certain level, ours also comes on immediately when the light is switched on (no window so the light is always on when the room is in use) or when the light is off automatically when the humidity level is over a certain point (at a lower speed) including at 2am if that's when the level is too high!(we have a very quiet one)

Ours are wall mounted, not ceiling mounted.. and they're fantastic, had a mould problem before we got them, and they've fixed it. I'd never buy one without this feature now.

Manrose apparently do humidstat window fans https://www.manrose.co.uk/product/wf100h-window-bathroom-fan-humidity-100mm/
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,856 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 March at 9:42AM
    Options
    How will it be wired, Blackstar? Down from the ceiling? You do have good access to above the ceiling if you'd rather vent that way too?
    I don't understand why the closeness of the window to the ceiling prevents a ceiling-mounted option - who said this, and could you explain, please?
    Reasons for preferring a ceiling mount option would include getting the extraction closer to the source of steam, presumably a shower, and simple appearance - window mounted tend to look a bit intrusive. 
    A recent thread linked to what seems to be a super-quiet window model, if that's of interest.
    Anyway, the principles: a basic extractor is wired via a switch - either a pull cord inside the bathroom, or a flick switch just outside - and comes on and off when told to. So you have full control over this, and you'd just turn it on before showering (or pooing) and back off when it's done its job(bie).
    Then you have models with built-in timers and humidistats.
    The latter should take the guesswork out of it, and it should keep on running until the room is clear. They are crude beasts, tho', and will vary in sensitivity. Some may come on at 'random', perhaps during winter, when it detects minor humid conditions. Could be annoying if it's audible, and happens during the night. Or, if left to its own control, could turn off before it's fully cleared the room. (Not sure if they have sensitivity adjustment? I suspect they do.)
    For the type with built-in gubbins, they need a 'permanent' live supply, as well as the one from the manual switch. This leads to what may be the best option - have two switches on your wall, one for 'auto', and one for manual.
    Another thing to consider is that you can fit a standard fan, say, in your window, and then fit a humid sensor in the ceiling, closer to the steam source. This would also mean that you don't need to source a window-mounted humid fan, but just a normal one, such as the quiet model in the other thread.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6512885/bathroom-extractor-fan-help/p1

• blackstar
    Options
    Emmia said:
    blackstar said:
    Hi

Thanks all
    Humidstat fans run when humidity is over a certain level, ours also comes on immediately when the light is switched on (no window so the light is always on when the room is in use) or when the light is off automatically when the humidity level is over a certain point (at a lower speed) including at 2am if that's when the level is too high!(we have a very quiet one)

Ours are wall mounted, not ceiling mounted.. and they're fantastic, had a mould problem before we got them, and they've fixed it. I'd never buy one without this feature now.

Manrose apparently do humidstat window fans https://www.manrose.co.uk/product/wf100h-window-bathroom-fan-humidity-100mm/
    Thanks so you have two in the bathroom? What type and where are they? Thanks
  • Emmia
    edited 28 March at 9:52AM
    Options
    blackstar said:
    Emmia said:
    blackstar said:
    Hi

Thanks all

We have one in each of our two windowless bathrooms!

I'm not sure if this is the exact model, but ours have all of these features - two speed, humidstat and 12Db (quiet!) the front plate pops off for cleaning - I vacuum it a couple of times a year to get rid of dust.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/vent-axia-477436b-100mm-4-axial-bathroom-extractor-fan-with-humidistat-timer-white-240v/922gy

We have them mounted on outside walls, high up just below the coving - they also happen to be adjacent to (but not in) the shower in one room, and the shower over bath in the other room.

• ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,856 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Emmia said:
    blackstar said:
    Emmia said:
    blackstar said:
    Hi

Thanks all

I'm not sure if this is the exact model, but ours have all of these features - two speed, humidstat and 12Db (quiet!) the front plate pops off for cleaning - I vacuum it a couple of times a year to get rid of dust.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/vent-axia-477436b-100mm-4-axial-bathroom-extractor-fan-with-humidistat-timer-white-240v/922gy

We have them mounted on outside walls, high up just below the coving - they also happen to be adjacent to (but not in) the shower in one room, and the shower over bath in the other room.

Wow! That's quiet!
    It won't matter how long it runs for!
  • Emmia
    Options
    Emmia said:
    blackstar said:
    Emmia said:
    blackstar said:
    Hi

Thanks all

Wow! That's quiet!
    It won't matter how long it runs for!
    You pay for it though, that fan I linked to is £100 - we spent around £130 on each fan about 6 years ago, hubby used the words "how much!" when he found out the price - but he was quickly convinced.
  • blackstar
    edited 28 March at 11:11PM
    Options
    I have found a electrical company to fit an extractor fan. However do they need to have a electrical certification or registered with a governing body.?
    They have a Facebook page and some good reviews on that but can't find much else?
    Anyone help?
    Ps I'm in Scotland.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport