From Frugal Foundations to Fortified Family Future

Options
Greying_Pilgrim
Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,432 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
edited 19 December 2023 at 8:19PM in Mortgage-free wannabe
Good evening MFW'rs

I hope there is a little space in diary land for me (Greying Pilgrim) to take up residency and chart our journey to mortgage freedom - albeit we're doing it a little back to front.

The short story is, that we did own a home - Greying Towers - but 4 years ago we moved into rental accommodation with the intention of selling the house.  Got mucked about with time-wasters, then c'vid closed everything down so we couldn't sell, then when we finally sold, we couldn't find anything to buy in the location we needed to settle, prices went up, up, up so we couldn't afford anything......... until we finally came across a house for sale in September that was sort of in the right location, was preserved in aspic from when it was built, had enough of the 'must haves', but most importantly was within our price range.  We had tried to get a small mortgage - which would have probably not yielded us a 'significantly better' house, but may have allowed us to move within to our preferred location - but AIP's were thin on the ground, and the day we last applied, was the day that all mortgage products got pulled due to the expected hike, hike, hike of interest rates.

So we bought what we could afford, knowing that we would have to fund a new heating system, new windows/doors, better insulation, some mechanical ventilation (kitchen and bathroom) as a 'starting point' and then in the future, turn our attention to the kitchen units and bathroom, paint, decor, garden...........  We took the decision to change the heating system before we moved in and had extensive plastering done too, whilst the house wasn't occupied. 

We finally moved in and cleared out the rental house.  I am delighted that we received all our deposit back and we also have had a big refund from BG for monies accrued on our dual fuel account.  Thankfully we are with a different energy provider in our new home.  We don't have smart meters here (did in the rental), but want to 'live' here for a while before we commit to having smart meters installed.  BG were awful to us and messed us around for well over a year with billing issues, cutting off the IHD and generally causing stress when energy prices were peaking - we had no real idea of what our bills would be.  Now that we have a modern heating system up and running, and when we have been able to install further energy saving measures, we may well look again at having smart meters installed.   

Which brings me to the purpose of the diary.  Had we been able to afford a house that was 'move-in ready' we would have required a small (by modern standards) mortgage.  We couldn't get one, so had to purchase a 'doer-upper'.  We financed the heating system and several other improvements from money that was saved for my future pension.  It wasn't a big pot anyway, but if we dip into it anymore, there will be nowt left.  So, certainly for replacement double glazing, we will have to save the money - in effect a mortgage 'in reverse'.  So this is what we intend to do.  As prices are rising, and we don't know how much glazing for the whole house will cost, I am going to pick £10k as an arbitrary goal - which of course I hope will 'more than' cover the cost, but is probably realistic, and if there is money left over, well, I'm pretty sure that it can then filter down to fund the NEXT improvement on the extensive list..........

Due to an interminably long notice period, this is the first month that we have not had to meet a rental payment, but with 'costs of moving', we're not yet feeling the full effect of having more control over what our monthly income is spent on.  So timing wise, we're at the planning and water treading stage, but by next pay day, we should be ship-shape and able to construct a future budget that will see us in charge of our destiny, rather than having to make sure we pay a landlord first.......  It feels like a good place to be, moving into 2024, and the motivation to 'work for Team Greying' is high.  The past 4 years have been something of a roller-coaster, the lockdowns took their toll, and reduced income, whilst needing to make a rental payment was no fun - but we never missed a payment either.......  We are a family of 3 - welcoming our child 'later in life'.  Baby Greying has now become Little Greying, goes to school and is generally growing in all directions. The days of being able to secure entire outfits from charity shops has long-since past, and even with modest purchases - children are expensive!  But we try to say 'yes' when we can - particularly to experiences, so that is another reason why it will be so much more satisfying to be in charge of our own household income, and better able to determine where our spending priorities lie. 

Although the kitchen here isn't exactly my 'dream', it's functional, and I have a new fridge freezer and oven, and we have a (inherited) freezer in the garage.  Now that everything is installed and up and running, I can begin to get back to my thrifty ways in the kitchen and hopefully start to maintain a modest grocery budget.  LG has packed lunches for school, so that is a different dynamic to what I am used to, but I think that they have greater variety, and a better selection than the school meal service is now able to provide (due to cuts).  

I think in the time we were renting, we paid well over £30k in rental payments.  Naturally, in return we had a roof over our heads, but it shows that if the money is allocated to a task, then you 'fund' your priorities.  So, I am hopeful that by winter 24/25 we may be somewhere near to having the relevant funds for new glazing.  Living here 'full-time' has already shown us that there is a distinctive temperature difference in different sides of the house, so we need to seriously consider our options in terms of windows, curtains/blinds and insulation. 

So not a traditional 'counting down' mortgage diary, but from our 80% of what we wanted, house, I hope you will join in and support our endeavours to get to 100% of what we wanted - to forge a comfortable, sustainable and secure family future.

You may have spotted, I likes me a bit of alliteration......  and I also (in days of yore over on DFW), like to remind myself that we often have much to be grateful for - even on pants days...... so I generally like to include 3 'grateful fors' in my daily postings.  So today I am grateful for;

- Monetary refunds that didn't get lost in the Christmas post
- DH driving LG to their activity tonight
- Cancelling d/d's - in branch! - to finally close our rental chapter.

Pounds for Panes = £0/£10,000  (gulp!)

Greying X

Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £10/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)

Comments

• redofromstart
    Options
    So lovely to see you posting, welcome back to diary land (Redo/hex2)
  • LadyWithAPlan
    Options
    Shiny new diary how fun. Love the backwards mortgage /diy
    There will always be a (beautiful stilettoed) foot in fabulous in LaPlan's life.
    I am choosing to be fabulously frugal to support some wonderful life changing and affirming financial goals including buying a London home I love.

DON'T BUY STUFF (from Frugalwoods)
    No seriously, just don’t buy things. 99% of our success with our savings rate is attributed to the fact that we don’t buy things. You can’t really hack your way to frugal. You can and should take advantage of discounts, coupons, rewards points, and the like. But at the end of the day, the only way to truly save money is to not buy stuff.    Money doesn’t walk out of your wallet on its own accord.

My March  streaks to track
    Track Minimalist game  items (Nov 310)   (Dec  95)  (Jan 90)   Feb 50
    Exercise streak  
    YNAB days:: Target 50 days -Age of money 29
    Track my NSD's - Target 13 days/ 0/13

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6289577/future-proofing-my-life-deposit-saving-then-mfw-journey-in-under-13-years#latest
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 December 2023 at 11:15PM
    Options
    Hello Greying 👋

Well done to DH for giving you a cozier home at a reasonable price and to you for hanging laundry outside! :o Your meal sounded delicious as well.

I wouldn't worry about the quantity of gifts for LG. If even a modicum of your lovely nature has rubbed off on him he will be very appreciative for what he receives, I am sure <3

• teapot2
    teapot2 Posts: 3,263 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Good to see you back in diary land x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business