New laptop and desktop for 2pence

Options
Idle curiosity this - received an e-mail from a large IT manufacturer offering me discount for their store as I hadn't logged on for a while.
As I'm looking for new laptop I went to the on-line store but saw everything was listed at 1 pence. Slightly amused I tried to phone them, left hanging for twenty mins. Then saw the chat option and again no response.
Being honest then thought I'd just try it on and order it to see what happens, though for good measure I also threw in an all-in-one pc..for a penny also. (Total list price £2800)
Went through all the process and despite delivery being an excessive £3 pressed the order button. Total cost £3.02.
Moments later had confirmation of receipt of payment and acceptance of the order.
Thinking this had gone far enough I then e-mailed them, pointing out the error and suggesting they need to rectify the mistake. This was on Wednesday morning.
Didn't get a response so I e-mailed both the store and the order people yesterday morning. No response.
Checked today and the goods are dispatched and eta is tomorrow.

So this isn't an ethical / moral question as I have no intention of keeping the goods but where would a consumer stand in a situation like this?

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I suspect you may never get the goods anyway, but whether you could keep them or not depends on when a contract is formed - often this is at despatch, so if they do arrive you might well be entitled (legally if not morally - although I'm not making a judgement on the latter) to keep them.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Please do update as to wether you receive them
    (and tell us which store ;) )
  • powerful_Rogue
    Options
    Even if you receive the item the contract could still be void due to the obvious mistake, so would have to return or pay the correct price.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Do you have a link for this site? Please don't say you cant because of taking advantage etc.

Really you have either been ripped off and will now find your account emptied as they have your payment details, the site doesn't exist or it's a genuine site that's made a mistake. I'm sure most on here are curious to find out which.
  • Quorden
    Quorden Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    don't mind sharing the link, however the "discounted" price only showed up once I logged on; http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Default.aspx
    Checked with a friend of mine and he doesn't see the discounts once he's logged on so no harm in sharing the link, though not sure what anomaly would effect my account only.
    Regarding security I do know a little about the subject and everything is as it should be, from site address to e-mail identity, no spoofing in-between.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,257 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Even if you receive the item the contract could still be void due to the obvious mistake, so would have to return or pay the correct price.

Any return would be at the company's cost and entirely at the convenience of the OP though.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • iltisman
    iltisman Posts: 2,589 Forumite
    Options
    They made an offer and you accepted it ,the stuff is yours. They have saved millions by reducing staff and selling on line. If you think HP may collapse due to your purchase then perhaps you should have some reason to give them the stuff back.
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,540 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Any return would be at the company's cost and entirely at the convenience of the OP though.

Of course, but is it really worth the effort.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Options
    iltisman wrote: »
    They made an offer and you accepted it ,the stuff is yours. They have saved millions by reducing staff and selling on line. If you think HP may collapse due to your purchase then perhaps you should have some reason to give them the stuff back.

The "reason" to give them the stuff back would be contract void for unilateral mistake which renders the contract void ab initio (meaning it was void from the beginning/was never valid at any time).
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Options
    OP since we can't see the offer, are you able to screenshot from your account (black out/erase any personal data thats present though)?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure