Direct flights from Naples (Sorrento) to ... then back to the UK

Options
ClarkeKent
ClarkeKent Posts: 336 Forumite
After years of saving and no hols. We hope to go to Sorrento, Italy next year at some point (any tips on the best time!) Just for a few days and perhaps a few days somewhere else.

Another place we would love to go to is Santorini, but there doesn't seem to be any direct flights there. Go via Athens which is a hassle and add some time on (3-4 hours so may skip that).

Has anyone any recommendations for a second stopover after Naples that would then have a direct flight back to Manchester or Leeds/Bradford?

It would be nice if there was a website that had all the direct flight routes from airports and all airlines, but can't seem to find one.

Any suggestions of locations most welcome or nice breaks you had in a 2-3hr region.

Comments

• ClarkeKent
    Options
    Just found on Jet2 that they fly direct to Verona, so could do that on the way back. With a 1hr direct flight to Verona from Naples. Don't know much about Verona apart from Romeo and Juliet balcony, but streets look nice and old.
  • Andypandyboy
    Andypandyboy Posts: 2,472 Forumite
    edited 22 October 2016 at 2:53PM
    Options
    You can fly direct to Naples from Manchester. You can also go to Rome or Florence (Pisa) so you could fly to Naples, on the way back train to Rome (an easy journey on reserved seats) and then fly home from Rome.

We have travelled all over Italy both by road and train and it is very easy to do.
  • Andypandyboy
    edited 22 October 2016 at 2:58PM
    Options
    ClarkeKent wrote: »
    Just found on Jet2 that they fly direct to Verona, so could do that on the way back. With a 1hr direct flight to Verona from Naples. Don't know much about Verona apart from Romeo and Juliet balcony, but streets look nice and old.

Verona is ok, but the Juliet thing is overated and disappointing in my opinion.

Venice is an option too from Leeds bradford.

Use Skyscanner and put in your departure airport of choice and just put in Italy as destination and it will bring up all the places in Italy with routes from say Manchester.
  • ClarkeKent
    edited 22 October 2016 at 3:16PM
    Options
    Verona is ok, but the Juliet thing is overated and disappointing in my opinion.

Venice is an option too from Leeds bradford.

Use Skyscanner and put in your departure airport of choice and just put in Italy as destination and it will bring up all the places in Italy with routes from say Manchester.

Can't say I'd be that bothered about Romeo and Juliet thing, but the place itself looks nice.

Totally forgot about Venice! Another on our wishlist, so that along with Jet2 (Manchester to Naples) and then back from Venice to Leeds/Bradford is looking awesome. Thanks

PS - Is SkyScanner the best of the flight booking sites? - it's 6 years since I've booked flights online :-)
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    PS - Is SkyScanner the best of the flight booking sites? - it's 6 years since I've booked flights online :-)

Skyscanner is one of the best flight search engines but once you have found the routes you want it is almost always best to book direct with the airlines concerned. That way if anything does go wrong you don't have to deal with a middleman.
  • lea2012
    lea2012 Posts: 733 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you go on to the leeds Bradford or Manchester airport websites you should be able to find a route map, usually under their 'destinations ' section. It shows where they fly too and which airline flies there, that should help you a little bit more.
    Lea :confused:
  • Grumpelstiltskin
    Options
    I went to Sorrento in early April this year and it was warm not hot but I wouldn't want to be there if it was very hot.

Now I was disappointed with Sorrento.

Firstly crowded with cruise ship passengers, every day.

Secondly you need to work out what you want to do and where you want to go. Baring that in mind be careful where your hotel is situated.

If you mean to travel around by public transport then get an hotel near to the railway station ( buses go from the same place )

( There is a bus to the airport )

These hotels won't have the views that some hotels have but are close to the town centre.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • Andypandyboy
    Options
    Can't say I'd be that bothered about Romeo and Juliet thing, but the place itself looks nice.

Totally forgot about Venice! Another on our wishlist, so that along with Jet2 (Manchester to Naples) and then back from Venice to Leeds/Bradford is looking awesome. Thanks

Check on Skyscanner then click though to the site and book direct.
    Make sure you stay in Venice proper and not Mestre - some hotels fudge the issue and you can't really tell the location.

We stay in Venice twice a year and have used lots of hotels so if you want any ideas just ask.

Hotels vary a lot in price in Venice according to season and location, but nowhere is very far from anywhere as it is so small, hotels near St Marks command a premium but there are lovely ones within a ten miute (scenic) walk much cheaper and less touristy.

If you are not dead set on Sorrento I would look at Positano/amalfi
  • ClarkeKent
    Options
    I went to Sorrento in early April this year and it was warm not hot but I wouldn't want to be there if it was very hot.

Now I was disappointed with Sorrento.

Firstly crowded with cruise ship passengers, every day.

Secondly you need to work out what you want to do and where you want to go. Baring that in mind be careful where your hotel is situated.

If you mean to travel around by public transport then get an hotel near to the railway station ( buses go from the same place )

( There is a bus to the airport )

These hotels won't have the views that some hotels have but are close to the town centre.

Any good hotel recommendations?
  • ClarkeKent
    edited 22 October 2016 at 4:03PM
    Options
    Check on Skyscanner then click though to the site and book direct.
    Make sure you stay in Venice proper and not Mestre - some hotels fudge the issue and you can't really tell the location.

We stay in Venice twice a year and have used lots of hotels so if you want any ideas just ask.

Hotels vary a lot in price in Venice according to season and location, but nowhere is very far from anywhere as it is so small, hotels near St Marks command a premium but there are lovely ones within a ten miute (scenic) walk much cheaper and less touristy.

If you are not dead set on Sorrento I would look at Positano/amalfi

Thanks for all the helpful info so far, this is great. We have £150k Hilton points from a New York hol 10 years ago that we have been maintaining. So a Venice Hilton hotel would be good, but any hotel recommendations always welcome and we can save the points for something else and nice to get a scenic, less hectic hotel. My brother went to Venice and said how much I would love even the transfer - on a boat into the centre of Venice which sounds great!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure