What do you do when you start to lose your mobility?

Options
quidsinquentin
quidsinquentin Posts: 42,693 Forumite
edited 14 June 2014 at 10:57AM in Disability money matters
I wonder if anyone can offer a view/suggestion/comment on this issue?

I've been asked for advice as I used to work in both the health service and advice service, but tbh, I don't have a clue what to suggest. So I agreed to post a query on here.

A friend has a serious problem with walking. He's developed what appears to me to be an aggressive form of arthritis in his lower limbs - specifically knees and hips, but a touch in the ankles too.

So, two years ago he could run around a field, walk perfectly normally and do normal work, exercise & activities.

18 months ago, he developed (diagnosed) arthritis in his left knee and it became difficult - but not impossible - to do much of what he normally did

Six weeks ago he appears to have had an 'episode' of something 'arthritic' which has virtually crippled his right knee, affected both his hips and made the left knee much worse. It's also affected his ankles somewhat.

I would estimate he's lost about 60% of his mobility, perhaps more, as there are now times he cannot walk properly at all. He also needs to use a walking stick 100% of the time. He's also had two falls due to instability - both not serious though. If he's not in discomfort he's in pain, which appears to be most of the time. Prognosis is that it will probably get worse.

He's currently on ESA (WRAG). It took him six weeks to get a GP appointment, and the GP was reluctant to send him for physio but eventually agreed to.

The real question is here.

When he asked the GP for advice on 'what to do' - basically how to deal with his new immobility, he was met with a shrug and a blank stare. He's asked about wheelchairs and walking aids etc, but got a 'no idea' from the GP. And no further helpful comments. The friend lives on his own in a third-floor flat.

The issue is that he's no idea how to deal with his immobility, what he should or should not be doing, using or not using. Basically, what do you do when you start to lose your mobility?

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks.

PS - the GP surgeries in and around his area are completely snowed under with work and problems. Moving surgery - first thing that occurred to me - is not an good option for him as some nearby surgeries are in an even worse state than his own. They've been in the news.

PPS - Mods - please feel free to move this to a more appropriate board if there is one. :)
The atmosphere is currently filled with hypocrisy so thick that it could be sliced, wrapped, and sold in supermarkets for a decent price and labeled, 'Wholegrain Left-Wing, Middle-Class, Politically-Correct Organic Hypocrisy'.

Comments

• GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Gps aren't the way to go for mobility aids, there are several things he can do, contact local/nationwide charities who can help him find the right equipment, he may also benefit from a social services assessment who can also get the ball rolling on installing grab handles etc in his home.

If he needs a wheelchair not only does it need to be the correct size he needs to feel confident getting around in it, that can take time, he may also need gloves to protect his hands from hitting door frames.

If he goes for sticks/a Zimmer frame it must be the correct height otherwise he may end up with back problems.
  • quidsinquentin
    Options
    Cheers. I'll pass that on. Thanks. :)
    The atmosphere is currently filled with hypocrisy so thick that it could be sliced, wrapped, and sold in supermarkets for a decent price and labeled, 'Wholegrain Left-Wing, Middle-Class, Politically-Correct Organic Hypocrisy'.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    See if there is an Independent Living Centre in his area - I found them very useful when my Mum and Dad started having problems.

Mum and Dad also had referrals from the GP for an assessment by an Occupational Therapist.

Our hospital runs a Falls Clinic which was a lot of help - after an initial assessment, they recommended a local exercise class run by a physio which was designed to work on stability and gave lots of tips about ways to avoid falls.
  • quidsinquentin
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    See if there is an Independent Living Centre in his area - I found them very useful when my Mum and Dad started having problems.

Mum and Dad also had referrals from the GP for an assessment by an Occupational Therapist.

Our hospital runs a Falls Clinic which was a lot of help - after an initial assessment, they recommended a local exercise class run by a physio which was designed to work on stability and gave lots of tips about ways to avoid falls.
    Many thanks again. I'll pass this on too. Sounds useful.

I'm wondering though, why the GP didn't suggest such things as they sound very sensible.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm wondering though, why the GP didn't suggest such things as they sound very sensible.

Couldn't be bothered to write the necessary letter?
  • quidsinquentin
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    Gps aren't the way to go for mobility aids, there are several things he can do, contact local/nationwide charities who can help him find the right equipment, he may also benefit from a social services assessment who can also get the ball rolling on installing grab handles etc in his home.

If he needs a wheelchair not only does it need to be the correct size he needs to feel confident getting around in it, that can take time, he may also need gloves to protect his hands from hitting door frames.

If he goes for sticks/a Zimmer frame it must be the correct height otherwise he may end up with back problems.

Btw - I meant to ask. Could you suggest a few names of these charities please?

And this might sound like a really stupid question - at what point does he need a wheelchair? Is it when he simply can no longer walk at all? Or is it before that? Or, could it be when something like physio's suggest it?

Thanks again btw.
  • quidsinquentin
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Couldn't be bothered to write the necessary letter?
    I did think the 'blank stare and shrug' was a bit of a giveaway. Didn't sound like an interested party to me either.
  • fed_up_and_stressed
    Options
    Red cross do wheelchairs
    Spelling courtesy of the whims of auto correct...

Pet Peeves.... queues, vain people and hypocrites ..not necessarily in that order.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    He needs to see an Occupational Therapist.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • quidsinquentin
    Options
    He needs to see an Occupational Therapist.
    To what end, Torry?

He's already on ESA - and I don't see him going back to work anytime soon. Can an OT offer some other forms of advice/assistance?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure