About to get £55k loan and getting the heebie-jeebies...

Options

Comments

• SteveyLomas
    SteveyLomas Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    Politics which I finished in 02. Taught for 2 years then went into Corporate Finance in the City.
  • poppyg_2
    poppyg_2 Posts: 322 Forumite
    Options
    Grants are a route which has reached a dead-end. The only other possible source is the Bank Of Mum and Dad, which whilst is a trusty institution with friendly staff and free meals thrown in with every visit, does not have an enormous capital base.
    :rotfl: That made me laugh. I agree though about the bit regarding remortgaing, it'd be a massive gamble for them

The people I know have already been pretty senior members of staff, well Directors actually, but they have definitely found it worthwhile although hard work part time obviously and takes longer. I think like you say a lot of it is to do with the actual knowledge you gain. One is now a Director but with larger company (more pay :) )

I've been doing a BA Hons part time (finished last month hoorah) so I have some experience of what it's like studying and working full time and it's really hard. I looked into doing a masters but gave up all hope of that for now (I'm also nearly 28 but with a have house and debts so no chance I can afford another part time course, the BA Hons was bad enough to fork out for!!)

I am worried about this flexible APR thing as I can tell you are as well. £1200 would be a hell of a lot to pay out of your wages if it did end up being that in a few years, especially as you do at some point want to be getting on the property ladder, could end up forking out £2k just on paying the loan and mortgage not to mention the other bills which is a huge sum no matter what your earnings are.

It's a shame you can't get some sort of sponsorship to help with fees but obviously you've already looked at grants etc. I really don't know what they make it so hard (impossible for most) to do this sort of qualification, you're wanting to spend this money on getting yourself a better education for your future not throwing it away so you'd think it'd be easier than this really. Aside from the loan you have had offered to you to pay this, I wonder if there are any other financial institutions that would offer any form of postgraduate loan and maybe an overdraft facility for some of the entertainment/general living? Preferably with a fixed APR.
    Money doesn't make you happy so I'm skint but cheerful :beer:
  • poppyg_2
    Options
    Politics which I finished in 02. Taught for 2 years then went into Corporate Finance in the City.

Have you approached the company you work for about whether they'd sponsor you to do the course part time? Might be worth a try, they'd be investing on you but obviously they'd be gaining too if you were using your expertise working for them with the hope of getting a better job out of it with them
  • tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    Options
    I definitely definitely would not ask my mum & dad to risk £55K on my career development - it just doesn't seem fair to ask them to take that kind of risk.

If you are earning in the region of £50K, what is the big rush to do the course now - if you could wait for a couple of years and live on £25K, you could save up a big chunk of the money. It would be much less risk if things did go wrong, and save you thousands in interest.
  • poppyg_2
    Options
    tyllwyd wrote: »
    I definitely definitely would not ask my mum & dad to risk £55K on my career development - it just doesn't seem fair to ask them to take that kind of risk.

If you are earning in the region of £50K, what is the big rush to do the course now - if you could wait for a couple of years and live on £25K, you could save up a big chunk of the money. It would be much less risk if things did go wrong, and save you thousands in interest.

Totally agree with all of the above, good advice/thoughts
  • SteveyLomas
    Options
    Poolman - I am absolutely guilty as charged. Not so much stuck in a rut but can't wait to do something different and I have been thinking an MBA is an excellent tool to engineer that.To be frank, a part-time course was never on my mind and perhaps I should give it more consideration than I have. I really dislike the idea of working simultaneously (but I suppose who would like that?) and I know part-time ones take much longer. There is also a general rule that full-time MBAs should be done with 3 to 5 years business experience and part-time MBAs, also known as executive MBAs, should be done when you are a bit older and in your early 30s. I wouldn't worry about the university being smoky, it is supposedly quite a good one (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kellogg_school_of_management ) that has been around for a while. I think they lend the money because nobody else will!
  • Trollfever
    Trollfever Posts: 2,051 Forumite
    Options
    Are you sure that this is not a scam?
  • LilacPixie
    LilacPixie Posts: 8,052 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to maybe be a little bit negitive. a 50k salary is around £2900 a month after tax and NI for this year before you consider pension/expenses. To commit yourself to a loan paying out roughly 33% of your projected salary seems madness.

You also have to consider where this 50K job is and what would be your living costs to live within a reasonable distance. I'd bet the rent on a 1 bed rabbit hutch in london is alot higher than a one up in the wilds of Sscotland.
    MF aim 10th December 2020 :j:eek:
    MFW 2012 no86 OP 0/2000 :D
  • SteveyLomas
    Options
    The other key piece of the puzzle is the university. Its not one that I can defer until next year, as I will have lost my place. It is very difficult to get into (for me anyway), I had to sit an exam (the GMAT) and come in the top 5%, I had to write 5000 words of essays, I had to get two, 1000 word references from current and previous bosses, you have to have lived in different countries, you have to have done extensive charitable work and show you have made excellent progress in your career to date. You also have to interview. And you have to pay £150 just to apply. Also next year I will begin to be too old and the year after I will certainly be too old.

So the key thing is it is not deferrable at this particular institution, or really for a full time MBA

I think it is an American way of viewing education (that's where the degree will be) that I have tried to get into. That a huge investment will pay dividends over a working lifetime.

Yes this after tax consideration is there. I think there is some hope that the £50k will rise relatively quickly. However, I don't think I have very expensive tastes and believe that if I have put together £25k this year, I might be able to clear it in three years after. Also 33% would still leave £2000 a month to live on, which I think is quite adequate. Or does debt have more tricks up its sleeve than this?

Stevey
  • count_rostov
    count_rostov Posts: 218 Forumite
    Options
    Have you looked into career development loans from UK banks? The Royal Bank of Scotland do government-backed loans which are just over 6% (or they were when I did my MA a few years ago). You have to be careful though, because most UK high street banks offer something along the lines of a career development loan, but it's only the RBS and I think a few other lenders that do these government-backed ones where the interest is fixed.
    Debt at LBM (20th March 2008) £13,607
    Debt currently [strike]£11,667[/strike] [strike]£11088[/strike] [strike]£10,681[/strike] [STRIKE]£10354 Hurrah 24% paid off[/STRIKE]
    Oh dear ... back to £12944 9% paid off :rolleyes:
    Hurrah £10712 22% paid off
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family