Advice Needed Re: Car Finace (Bank of Scotland)

Options
iNath
iNath Posts: 382 Forumite
I recently (31/12/2007) purchased a car on finance from a Ford dealership. With the part exchange, I needed another £3158.93. The salesperson did some calculations and said the repayments would be around £121 a month for 36 months, which was fine.
He had me sign some paperwork for the finance which I glanced through, I do not remember seeing any figures or apr's quoted anywhere. He hands me the keys and says the paperwork will be sent through the post in the next 2 weeks.
Yesterday I receive the finance agreement from the Bank of Scotland. Not only is the interest quoted at 31.2% in one section, and then 24.3% pa in another, but they have added an acceptance fee (£165) and a credit facility fee (£125) and an option fee! (£10). This brings the total repayable to £1,484.47. If I had known this at the time I would have gone with my bank as that would have been the cheaper option!
I have also noticed the signature on the paperwork is nothing like mine and I have not seen the page it is on before.

I know I was very silly not to get a written quotation first but is there anything I can do to get out of this? I thought most things you get a '14-day cooling-off period' but there is a section called 'Cancellation Rights' that reads: "You do not have the right to cancel this agreement under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 or the Timeshare Act 1992. In addition, you will not have any right to cancel under the Financial Services (Distance Marketing) Regulations 2004 unless we tell you otherwise in writing."

I haven't contacted them yet as their office's aren't open till Monday, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you do not have a cooling off period if you signed in the dealers office.

however, if the signature is not yours on the loan agreement it is invalid.

From the information you have given, i would phone them and say that you weren't given the loan agreement with the APR, fees and repayment amounts and that the signature on the paperwork is not yours. And you dont want to proceed with the deal.

(and by the way, borrowing 3158 and paying 121 over 36 months equates to an APR of 24% approx ... and thats without all the fees etc).
  • iNath
    iNath Posts: 382 Forumite
    Options
    The more I study the signature the more I think it could be mine as the date underneath looks like my writing, but it's a really bad photocopy so part of it is missing, hence why I first thought it wasn't mine.

Guess I'm stuck with this extortionate rate then :( Thanks for your help Clapton ;)
  • twistedeagle
    Options
    I once had a great experience where I signed a contract with what I thought was complete information, but then afterwards someone wrote in a few extra terms!! Luckily it was done on carbon paper and I had the unaltered copy!! I think someone got their P45 as a result of that!
    Cashback Sites
    Quidco - £285.07 (Since July 07)
    Bank Charges
    HSBC - £4210 RECLAIMED!!
    Nationwide, Cahoot, Alliance and Leicester - I'm coming for ya!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure