Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Proudmummy
    • By Proudmummy 14th Jan 20, 9:00 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Proudmummy
    Room to breathe
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:00 PM
    Room to breathe 14th Jan 20 at 9:00 PM
    So this is kind of a diary, more to myself than anything else. Kind of embarrassed writing online. My friends and family would think I was mad.

I am married and have a gorgeous 2 year old daughter. My partner works full-time, decent job, ok money, but I earnt 3000 last year. I stay at home to look after our daughter and work in the evenings or weekends when the work is there. This is both of our choice but I find the lack of money really hard especially when the rest of my family have well paid jobs, nice houses, great holidays. At the end of the day I wouldn't change what we are doing, I love my daughter and it feels right, being with her. I am lucky I have that opportunity. I guess I am looking more to try and get myself in a better situation financially as was inspired by the frugal living board. Hoping that by trying to document what I am doing to help, all the small steps, as there isn't much fat to cut, I might be able to give myself a little more room to breathe financially.

Yes, I have some debts. I have a mortgage and we want to move house. The area we live in is not the sort of place we want to raise our daughter. Our house is on the market but even when we move the jump we will be making will not be very big and if I didn't hate living here so much I would wait. I also have a student loan from uni but don't pay this currently as I don't earn enough. Whilst it would be nice to get rid of this, it isn't an immediate concern. When my daughter goes to school I will be able to work more and deal with it then.

My husband, whilst he recognises that we don't have much money and need to save, doesn't understand how important it is for us to tighten our belts, as he is the one earning. He could do more, like take lunch to work. Frustrates me when I earn so little and never have any money in my account.

Anyway, I was hoping that with a few little changes I might be able to make some positive, albeit small, difference to our financial situation.

If anyone wants to follow this thread, please feel free. It's probably not going to be of any interest to anyone but myself, however if you do comment, kind, positive comments only please.
Page 1
    • Proudmummy
    • By Proudmummy 14th Jan 20, 9:16 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Proudmummy
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:16 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 9:16 PM
    Having glanced through some of the ideas on the frugal living board, things worth trying may well include:

1. Growing some fruit and veg. Something I enjoyed before I became a mum and abandoned as I didn't have much time. My daughter loves the garden and it would be good to involve her in this.
    2. My husband, who is quite into running, has agreed to take lunch to work one week a month. This was part of a compromise over me getting a gym membership, we couldn't afford but both thought would be a huge benefit to me. Managed to find money elsewhere to pay for it! Hoping that If i can send him in something good, he will do it more often than this. Must get finger out.
    3. For Christmas, we were given a years membership to national trust, which means that I should be able to take my daughter out and about for free (plus petrol and packed lunches) so will not be cooped up saving money. Can also take her swimming at gym for 1.10 and zoo for free as received zoo pass for birthday last year! Woohoo!
    4. I love sewing and knitting (terribly slow at both) and have quite a few bits of fabric and wool I have accumulated over the years that I will use up before buying anything new. As I don't have much time for this as I would like, this could easily take me to Christmas!
    5. Batch cooking, not sure quite where to begin with this but going to start having a bash at it. Multiple benefits to this one - healthier meals, meals ready and just need defrosting etc, possibly less overall cooking (something I do not enjoy at all).
    6. Walking down town occasionally instead of driving - trying to picture the potential weight loss as well as saving on petrol!
    7. Have loads of shower gels I get for Christmas presents that I don't particularly like, gonna use these before buying any new again.
    8. Have rejoined library for me and my daughter. We both love reading and could spend (and have in the past) a small fortune on books. My local library is small but seems to have a pretty decent selection.
    • Proudmummy
    • By Proudmummy 15th Jan 20, 7:59 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Proudmummy
    • 15th Jan 20, 7:59 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 7:59 PM
    So small steps at a time. Positive things I have done today:
    Took lunch for me and my daughter when we went out with a friend so didn't need to buy any and already made tomorrows to take out too.
    Leftovers from today for tea tomorrow as horrendously busy day, so no need to cook or buy anything.
    Started reading up about what can be planted in the garden now. Might be a bit late for garlic but could definitely get some rocket going on windowsill. Hubby eats bucketloads of rocket so would help.
    Aim:
    To increase emergency fund to 1000.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

22Posts Today

3,768Users online

Martin's Twitter