Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • od244051
    • By od244051 1st Dec 19, 5:54 PM
    • 144Posts
    • 214Thanks
    od244051
    Saving money from reusing own bags
    • 1st Dec 19, 5:54 PM
    Saving money from reusing own bags 1st Dec 19 at 5:54 PM
    Please move to another board if needed.

One of my friends is going to start a money pot for times she reuses a bag. She will put in the money saved from not buying bags and use the shops' prices. At the moment, Sainsburys have increased their bag charge to 20p. So if she reused 2 of her own bags, she pops 40p into the pot

I think this will be a great idea for those people who forget to bring bags etc.

I reckon my friend will save 130 in a year.

To those people that never bring a bag, think how many Christmas presents or how much food and drink over Christmas you will get?

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Molly; 04-12-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Page 1
    • balabooberlies
    • By balabooberlies 1st Dec 19, 6:22 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 1,269 Thanks
    balabooberlies
    • 1st Dec 19, 6:22 PM
    • 1st Dec 19, 6:22 PM
    Great idea...
    • balabooberlies
    • By balabooberlies 1st Dec 19, 6:26 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 1,269 Thanks
    balabooberlies
    • 1st Dec 19, 6:26 PM
    • 1st Dec 19, 6:26 PM
    That's a great idea

Would join in but I use a trolley,......
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 1st Dec 19, 7:00 PM
    • 24,475 Posts
    • 65,847 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 1st Dec 19, 7:00 PM
    • 1st Dec 19, 7:00 PM
    Is this the same friend who shops every day?
    Personally, I have a stash of 'bags for life' whenever I go shopping.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 1st Dec 19, 9:33 PM
    • 5,162 Posts
    • 40,190 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 1st Dec 19, 9:33 PM
    • 1st Dec 19, 9:33 PM
    I also have a mega stash- most rescued from a bin by the bottle bank! Most of those bags have clearly only been used once.......time they cost 1 each!

I wash them all and then give most away or to charity shop with my donations
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

• mrs motivated
    • By mrs motivated 1st Dec 19, 9:49 PM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 5,396 Thanks
    mrs motivated
    • 1st Dec 19, 9:49 PM
    • 1st Dec 19, 9:49 PM
    That's a good idea but unfortunately I don't think my pot would fill very quickly as I almost always use re-usable bags, either bags for life or cotton string bags. I always keep one in my handbag, so rarely get caught out .
    Well Behaved women seldom make history

Early retirement goal... 2026

Reduce, reuse, recycle .
    • od244051
    • By od244051 2nd Dec 19, 10:18 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    od244051
    • 2nd Dec 19, 10:18 AM
    • 2nd Dec 19, 10:18 AM
    That's a good idea but unfortunately I don't think my pot would fill very quickly as I almost always use re-usable bags, either bags for life or cotton string bags. I always keep one in my handbag, so rarely get caught out .
    Originally posted by mrs motivated

You can still do this. Doesn't matter what type of bags are re-used. So if you went to five different shops and if you would bought bags, they would cost you 70p, you can still put 70p in the pot.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 2nd Dec 19, 11:18 AM
    • 24,475 Posts
    • 65,847 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 2nd Dec 19, 11:18 AM
    • 2nd Dec 19, 11:18 AM
    You can still do this. Doesn't matter what type of bags are re-used. So if you went to five different shops and if you would bought bags, they would cost you 70p, you can still put 70p in the pot.
    Originally posted by od244051
    I can see the reasoning behind it for someone like your friend who forgets to take bags so buys one or more.
    But why would someone who always takes a bag - like mrs motivated and me - bother with putting money in a pot whenever we go shopping?
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 2nd Dec 19, 11:32 AM
    • 1,457 Posts
    • 7,731 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    • 2nd Dec 19, 11:32 AM
    • 2nd Dec 19, 11:32 AM
    I've only bought a couple of bags since they started charging for them. Once was when Lakeland had a buy one get one half price offer on Marmade which was too heavy to fit in the bag I had and once was when I took DGS to the Tower of London and ended up buying him a plastic sword and helmet in the gift shop.
    • RMN05
    • By RMN05 5th Dec 19, 5:21 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    RMN05
    I can't believe that 4 years have elapsed since plastic bag ban was introduced. I'm still using pre-ban bags, most of which must be substantially older, because I stopped taking free bags and was re-using well before ban. Their longevity was the major concern, but is also their merit.
    • elvythrift
    • By elvythrift 5th Dec 19, 9:16 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    elvythrift
    I take new biodegradable caddy waste bin liners when shopping for fruit and vegetables. Then reuse them for food waste. So many shops still only provide small plastic bags.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 5th Dec 19, 10:02 AM
    • 10,776 Posts
    • 16,198 Thanks
    -taff
    Good tip. ...
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 6th Dec 19, 3:50 PM
    • 5,086 Posts
    • 12,651 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    I can see the reasoning behind it for someone like your friend who forgets to take bags so buys one or more.
    But why would someone who always takes a bag - like mrs motivated and me - bother with putting money in a pot whenever we go shopping?
    Originally posted by Pollycat

I suppose it would be a way of just saving money for whatever....a bit like saving all your 2s or whatever.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 6th Dec 19, 7:23 PM
    • 24,475 Posts
    • 65,847 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I suppose it would be a way of just saving money for whatever....a bit like saving all your 2s or whatever.
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    I can understand that.
    I have friends who save 20p or 50p or whatever.
    I just can't understand why someone who wouldn't buy a bag every time they go shopping would put money in a pot because they didn't buy a bag.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,223Posts Today

10,534Users online

Martin's Twitter