Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Jacks xxx
    I've just worked out that if we can come up with an extra 250 per month...
    • 27th Nov 07, 10:53 AM
    I've just worked out that if we can come up with an extra 250 per month... 27th Nov 07 at 10:53 AM
    ...we'll be debt free by next Christmas!

We've been paying 1200 off the debt every month plus what I save out of the budget on the Grocery Challenge which has usually been another 100 or so.

Then our eldest started paying 200 a month keep - so then it was 1500 (or so)

Then we got almost 1000 back from Powergen cos they'd been charging us on the wrong tariff. (ie not the one it said on our statement.)

Then a family member repaid the money we'd lent them when they were in a desperate situation which we'd never expected to see again to be honest.

And now...

If we can manage to pay 1750 off our debts every month we'll be free and clear by next Christmas. (apart from the mortgage)

Oh.

My.

God.

Apologies for being all "me me me" but that would be SO-O-O-O-O cool.

Blimey..

I think I feel an eBay blitz coming on!

Love Jacks xxx

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Rose; 03-03-2009 at 6:54 PM.
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. Einstein
Page 1
    • immoral_angeluk
    • By immoral_angeluk 27th Nov 07, 10:55 AM
    • 23,754 Posts
    • 22,635 Thanks
    immoral_angeluk
    • 27th Nov 07, 10:55 AM
    • 27th Nov 07, 10:55 AM
    WOW that would be fantastic!!!!!! Do you think it's a realistic target? Got anything you could ebay? 2nd job?
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt 29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
    • chevalier
    • By chevalier 27th Nov 07, 10:59 AM
    • 7,761 Posts
    • 18,056 Thanks
    chevalier
    • 27th Nov 07, 10:59 AM
    • 27th Nov 07, 10:59 AM
    are you clicking away and doing lots of surveys too? What you get ie vouchers/money can replace some of the wage money?
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • Jacks xxx
    • 27th Nov 07, 11:13 AM
    • 27th Nov 07, 11:13 AM
    WOW that would be fantastic!!!!!! Do you think it's a realistic target? Got anything you could ebay? 2nd job?
    Originally posted by immoral_angeluk
    I dunno about realistic honey, but then paying 1500 a month when you only earn 2600 and the mortgage + bills is nearly 1000 is not really realistic either but somehow we're doing it!

What's 250 a month at minimum wage or thereabouts if i got a evening bar job or something??? About ten hours - or two shifts a week.

That's got to be doable hasn't it?

I keep thinking I must have done the sums wrong....

(I'm so excited I need a pee! )

Love Jacks xxx
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. Einstein
    • immoral_angeluk
    • By immoral_angeluk 27th Nov 07, 11:19 AM
    • 23,754 Posts
    • 22,635 Thanks
    immoral_angeluk
    • 27th Nov 07, 11:19 AM
    I dunno about realistic honey, but then paying 1500 a month when you only earn 2600 and the mortgage + bills is nearly 1000 is not really realistic either but somehow we're doing it!

What's 250 a month at minimum wage or thereabouts if i got a evening bar job or something??? About ten hours - or two shifts a week.

That's got to be doable hasn't it?

I keep thinking I must have done the sums wrong....

(I'm so excited I need a pee! )

Love Jacks xxx
    Originally posted by Jacks xxx
    Well 10 hours at minimum wage (5.52) would work out about 239 a month... Bare in mind the tax though if you're working 2 jobs..
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • Jacks xxx
    are you clicking away and doing lots of surveys too? What you get ie vouchers/money can replace some of the wage money?
    Originally posted by chevalier
    Yep. Daily clicks, quidco, mystery shopping, eBay, Amazon car boot sales...We do it all as much as we possibly can.

But now we need to do MORE! I haven't got the little one (she's 12! ) clicking yet but I think it might be time that she started!

I'm shaking a little bit at the thought of actually getting there.

I knew we would eventually, but blimey.

I might do an new SOA too and see if anybody can see what I could do differently.

Cheers sweetie,

Love Jacks xxx
    • Toto
    • By Toto 27th Nov 07, 11:22 AM
    • 6,446 Posts
    • 10,902 Thanks
    Toto
    • 27th Nov 07, 11:22 AM
    • 27th Nov 07, 11:22 AM
    Is this the start of your 'clear the debt by dec 2008' diary Jacks?

I'm ready to get you there by virtual cheering and slapping, when required

I have just set a really tough budget for 2008. If I can stick to it and we have no nasty surprises we should hit the savings target. In January I swore when i sold the house and paid off the debt I would repay that money into savings in 18 months. If I can stick to next years budget by Dec 2008 (23 months after debt clearing) I will double the original target.

I'm here to go head to head if you like

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein
    • Fortheloveofmoney
    • By Fortheloveofmoney 27th Nov 07, 11:26 AM
    • 404 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    Fortheloveofmoney
    • 27th Nov 07, 11:26 AM
    • 27th Nov 07, 11:26 AM
    Wow Jacks that's fantastic!!!! When you look back, can you really believe how much you have achieved? You are an inspiration. I really hope you do it.

Good luck
    xx
    Debt at LBM (March 2006): 30,000
    DEBT FREE SINCE APRIL 2008!!!! YIPPEEEEEE!!!!!
  • Jacks xxx
    • 27th Nov 07, 11:29 AM
    • 27th Nov 07, 11:29 AM
    Is this the start of your 'clear the debt by dec 2008' diary Jacks?

I'm ready to get you there by virtual cheering and slapping, when required

I have just set a really tough budget for 2008. If I can stick to it and we have no nasty surprises we should hit the savings target. In January I swore when i sold the house and paid off the debt I would repay that money into savings in 18 months. If I can stick to next years budget by Dec 2008 (23 months after debt clearing) I will double the original target.

I'm here to go head to head if you like
    Originally posted by Toto
    Let's do it honeybun!

I'd love to have a partner in crime.

I've never been brave enough to start a diary so far though. I always think who wants to read about my very very dull life - and what if nobody "talks" to me????

Sh!tting hell...

I've just thought...

If we're free and clear in Dec 2008 then we'll have paid off 96700 (and change!) in 28 months.

I feel a bit ill. :confused:

Love Jacks xxx
    • immoral_angeluk
    • By immoral_angeluk 27th Nov 07, 11:31 AM
    • 23,754 Posts
    • 22,635 Thanks
    immoral_angeluk

If we're free and clear in Dec 2008 then we'll have paid off 96700 (and change!) in 28 months.

I feel a bit ill. :confused:
    Originally posted by Jacks xxx
    HOW MUCH???? That is unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • falady
    Wow!!!

Well done Jacks - that's amazing! I'm so impressed. You should be really proud of yourself - it just shows what can be done if you put your mind to it!

You have inspired me to start doing ebay / pigsback / quidco etc to earn a bit extra. I have started by selling my old ipod today for 30, and i'm sure the house is full of crap ( / ahem... treasures) which can go on ebay. I'm going to hunt out martin's articles on what to do......

Well done again - fantastic news!

Ali xxx
    Not Buying It 2015
  • Jacks xxx
    Wow Jacks that's fantastic!!!! When you look back, can you really believe how much you have achieved? You are an inspiration. I really hope you do it.

Good luck
    xx
    Originally posted by Fortheloveofmoney
    Hey sweetie

It'll be fantastic if we do it - but that's a pretty big "if".

Thanks ever so much for the encouragement.

Looking at your sig I see that your numbers are going down steadily as well.

I've got the uncontrollable urge to eBay everything we own and make it happen right now!

I never really allowed myself to think about how it would feel whe we finally got there to debt free-edness but I think I'm feeling a little bit of it now - even with a whole year to go.

Cheers sweetie!

Love Jacks xxx
    • Toto
    • By Toto 27th Nov 07, 11:36 AM
    • 6,446 Posts
    • 10,902 Thanks
    Toto
    That is awesome!!! Imagine how much you will have in the bank account in another 2 years if you keep going at that rate??

Ok, this is now officially you new diary, by order of me

I do feel funny talking figures, as I said on another thread yesterday we do have a really good income (when we actually get paid) and I'd hate to think anyone thought I was bragging. But I'm certainly happy to go head to head, I need someone to keep me on track.

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein
  • Jacks xxx
    That is awesome!!! Imagine how much you will have in the bank account in another 2 years if you keep going at that rate??

Ok, this is now officially you new diary, by order of me

I do feel funny talking figures, as I said on another thread yesterday we do have a really good income (when we actually get paid) and I'd hate to think anyone thought I was bragging. But I'm certainly happy to go head to head, I need someone to keep me on track.
    Duly ordered!

Does anyone else keep losing posts???? :confused:

If you don't want to blab your numbers honey, we could work in %'s or something. We'll work it out!

I'd better subscribe to this thread then 'eh?

and then go for a pee cos I'm desperate now!

Love Jacks xxx
  • Jacks xxx
    Well 10 hours at minimum wage (5.52) would work out about £239 a month... Bare in mind the tax though if you're working 2 jobs..
    Sorry sweetie.

i swear I've replied to this twice already! :confused:

£239 is pretty close but you're right, I'll be paying basic rate tax on it. Maybe my hourly rate will be a bit above the minimum, or maybe I'll have to do 3 shifts a week?

we'll have to see.

My son used to earn £7 an hour washing up in a pub restaurant and at this point I'd even consider doing that. (even though I do quite enough of it at home!)

Cheers sweetie pie.

How's your P/T job working out?

Love Jacks xxx
    • Toto
    • By Toto 27th Nov 07, 11:47 AM
    • 6,446 Posts
    • 10,902 Thanks
    Toto
    Ok, we'll do % and then this time next year I'll quote the actual figures achieved. My spreadsheet is all there ready with the predicted figures and the spaces for actual figures so % will be easy. It's going to be a rough year, there'll be no (because I want it) clothes, holidays or other crap spending. 12 months of proper budgeting. It all kicks off Dec 1st for me.

• Jacks xxx
    HOW MUCH???? That is unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I know honeybun,

As Toto says, imagine if we'd saved all that money instead?

It averages out about 3500 a month which is not bad considering we only take home 2600 a month!

We've sold our shiny new (ish) cars, had a powergen windfall, hubby got a bonus, we got paid back a lump sum unexpectedly, and now our eldest contributes 200 a month as well so all that helps to boost it up a bit.

It's still pretty good I reckon though.

I am a very proud DFW

Love Jacks xxx
    • Shineyhappy
    • By Shineyhappy 27th Nov 07, 11:55 AM
    • 1,730 Posts
    • 4,205 Thanks
    Shineyhappy
    Wow Jacks that is really impressive!! Good luck and I wish I could afford to tackle my debts at the rate you are!

I will be watching this thread with interest!
    Debt Free - done
    On the way to mortgage freedom
    Making 2018 in 2018 and learning to save
  • In Search Of Me
    oh so trying to desert us longhaulers now are you! Wow Jacks that would be incredible &to have paid that much of in such a short space of time! Hey imagine if you upped DS's monthly rent you could get there sooner!! Cant believe that you's paid off so much in such a short space of time! Thats incredible!! What about trying for AQA? Worth a try (I did & flunked the test!!) and a good way of gettng mre dosh from home...Just go for it & the rest of us will cheer from the sidelines!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• Jacks xxx
    Ok, we'll do % and then this time next year I'll quote the actual figures achieved. My spreadsheet is all there ready with the predicted figures and the spaces for actual figures so % will be easy. It's going to be a rough year, there'll be no (because I want it) clothes, holidays or other crap spending. 12 months of proper budgeting. It all kicks off Dec 1st for me.
    OOh sweetie, I'm all scared now

I'm the queen of channelling Billie Piper "because we want to, because we want to!" (But not this year huh?)

I've just rung up about a job singing in an italian restaurant at the weekends and I've got an audition booked!

If I can I'd rather be out front wearing a spangly dress and singing "When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie" than out back washing up .
    So we shall see!

Now I'm off to feed the cat some value prawns to celebrate, and then list on ebay until my fingers fall off!

Love Jacks xxx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,350Posts Today

8,161Users online

Martin's Twitter