Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 12th Jul 19, 8:17 AM
    • 20,633Posts
    • 34,541Thanks
    Spendless
    Organising a linen cupboard
    • 12th Jul 19, 8:17 AM
    Organising a linen cupboard 12th Jul 19 at 8:17 AM
    A while back in order to give us some additional space to store towels and bedding, a cupboard was built over our stairs with the door on the landing.

Though we now have a large enough space to put our items, organising it is another matter. There are only 2 shelves, both have good height and are deep, but not that wide (due to the head space needed when walking upstairs). I went through our bedding and marked whether they were single, double or kingsize, but then everything is just laid on top of each other and unless you remember which colour is what size, I'm needing to take everything out to look.

I could do with organising this, somehow, but am a bit stuck for ideas on how to go about it. Any help is appreciated.
Page 1
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 12th Jul 19, 8:45 AM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 26,250 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    • 12th Jul 19, 8:45 AM
    • 12th Jul 19, 8:45 AM
    Pack sets of bedding together in one pillowcase - fold up the duvet cover, sheet and the other pillowcase(s) and stuff them inside. This really works as you just need to pull one item out and everything you need to make up a bed is there.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 12th Jul 19, 8:57 AM
    • 20,633 Posts
    • 34,541 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 12th Jul 19, 8:57 AM
    • 12th Jul 19, 8:57 AM
    Pack sets of bedding together in one pillowcase - fold up the duvet cover, sheet and the other pillowcase(s) and stuff them inside. This really works as you just need to pull one item out and everything you need to make up a bed is there.
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle
    Oh ok, we already do this with the duvet and additional pillow cases into one pillow case. I'd never thought about adding the fitted sheet.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 12th Jul 19, 9:09 AM
    • 27,210 Posts
    • 71,414 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 12th Jul 19, 9:09 AM
    • 12th Jul 19, 9:09 AM
    Don't you end up with horribly creased duvets covers?

Buy clear plastic boxes to stack.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 12th Jul 19, 9:19 AM
    • 20,633 Posts
    • 34,541 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 12th Jul 19, 9:19 AM
    • 12th Jul 19, 9:19 AM

Originally posted by pollypenny
    No, the duvet cover is already laundered and folded, it doesn't crease it by putting it in a pillow case. Not sure why it might??

The problem with clear plastic stackable boxes is I would then have to take each out if the item/s I wanted were in the bottom box.
    Last edited by Spendless; 12-07-2019 at 9:33 AM.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 12th Jul 19, 11:44 AM
    • 10,498 Posts
    • 13,551 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 12th Jul 19, 11:44 AM
    • 12th Jul 19, 11:44 AM
    pull-out baskets
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • wort
    • By wort 12th Jul 19, 11:49 AM
    • 991 Posts
    • 11,704 Thanks
    wort
    • 12th Jul 19, 11:49 AM
    • 12th Jul 19, 11:49 AM
    You could use Marie Kondo folding method, either straight onto shelf or use plastic box then just pull out the box and select the sheets you need as they are vertical you can see the top of each. Also when you pull them out they don't disrupt the other sheets. If you aren't familiar with the method there are videos on YouTube.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 12th Jul 19, 11:56 AM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 26,250 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    • 12th Jul 19, 11:56 AM
    • 12th Jul 19, 11:56 AM
    Shocking revelation - I don't iron my bedding. Ever.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Gers
    • By Gers 12th Jul 19, 1:53 PM
    • 7,942 Posts
    • 54,686 Thanks
    Gers
    • 12th Jul 19, 1:53 PM
    • 12th Jul 19, 1:53 PM

Me neither - don't iron anything. Hang the bed linen properly and it's fine. The idea of spending half an hour ironing duvet cover, sheet and pillowcases smooth which are then get creased in five minutes of use is pointless.
    • tealady
    • By tealady 12th Jul 19, 2:40 PM
    • 3,234 Posts
    • 4,343 Thanks
    tealady
    Me neither - don't iron anything. Hang the bed linen properly and it's fine. The idea of spending half an hour ironing duvet cover, sheet and pillowcases smooth which are then get creased in five minutes of use is pointless.
    Originally posted by Gers
    Same here.
    Life is too short.
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 12th Jul 19, 2:58 PM
    • 10,498 Posts
    • 13,551 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    But it feels so much nicer when freshly ironed, especially the pillowcases.

And it really does not take half an hour to wave an iron over a set of bedlinen.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 12th Jul 19, 3:03 PM
    • 6,960 Posts
    • 5,938 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

Same here.
    Life is too short.
    Originally posted by tealady

ugh, that's clarty, wont be sleeping in your beds then.
    Y'all take care now.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 12th Jul 19, 4:30 PM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 26,250 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    No, that's quite right, you won't!
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 12th Jul 19, 4:34 PM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 10,588 Thanks
    grunnie

I don't iron bedding except for pillowcases. I fold the duvet add the fitted sheet also folded and a pillowcase and put these inside a pillowcase that matches the duvetcover. I have single and double covers and these stack in 2 boxes on the 2 shelves in myairing cupboard.
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 12th Jul 19, 5:37 PM
    • 6,960 Posts
    • 5,938 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

No, that's quite right, you won't!

take it that's us finished then?
    Y'all take care now.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th Jul 19, 6:23 PM
    • 10,611 Posts
    • 38,130 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    Not enough to merit the fuss, and personally I prefer a flat sheet & hospital corners. A little more effort, but no wrinkles or bickerings, just smooth clean sheeting. Bliss!

Please not Plastic Boxes for storing linen - anything nasty is sealed in and anything not dry has the opportunity to mould for too long before it's noticeable. Pillowcases are much more convenient & easier to replace & even more eco-friendly. As well as being cheaper to replace as needed.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 12th Jul 19, 8:04 PM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 26,250 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Hi,

take it that's us finished then?
    Originally posted by frugalmacdugal
    Yep - 'fraid so! Not even George Clooney could persuade me to iron sheets (although I'd quite like it if he tried ...)
    • maman
    • By maman 12th Jul 19, 8:35 PM
    • 21,228 Posts
    • 125,591 Thanks
    maman
    Yep - 'fraid so! Not even George Clooney could persuade me to iron sheets (although I'd quite like it if he tried ...)
    Surely what you have in mind with George would make ironing sheets a waste of time!

On a more serious note, I have plastic baskets for my pillowcases but is there any way you could put in extra shelves so that you don't have to pile up so much on each one?

FWIW, I iron pillowcases occasionally but never sheets or duvet covers except for my guest room where I have a special set of bedding.
    Last edited by maman; 12-07-2019 at 8:38 PM.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 12th Jul 19, 9:09 PM
    • 12,714 Posts
    • 244,023 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I have a huge airing cupboard, all of 20 inches wide and about 20 inches deep. I stop it turning into a mare's nest by segregating the stuff - sheets in one pile, for example.

Smaller things like tea towels, face flannels, pillowcases etc are coralled into cotton drawstring bags, with a cardboard label on each one saying what's in it. Written in pencil, to avoid accidental ink transfer onto textiles.

Towels are rolled and stacked like logs. I find this makes it easy to extract whichever one I want without disarranging the rest.

I don't have matching sets of bedlinen, but would use the pillowcase method if I did.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Gers
    • By Gers 12th Jul 19, 10:09 PM
    • 7,942 Posts
    • 54,686 Thanks
    Gers

And it really does not take half an hour to wave an iron over a set of bedlinen.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    Cotton needs much more than an iron being waved over it! Double duvet, double sheets, four pillow cases... I have much better use for my time.

As I said, the feeling only lasts for five minutes, at the most.

Each to their own...and my bed is my own.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,120Posts Today

6,904Users online

Martin's Twitter