Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Molly
    • By MSE Molly 8th Jul 19, 3:40 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 3Thanks
    MSE Molly
    End of year gifts for teachers: Your best money saving ideas
    • 8th Jul 19, 3:40 PM
    End of year gifts for teachers: Your best money saving ideas 8th Jul 19 at 3:40 PM
    Hello Forumites!

As the countdown to the kids breaking up for the summer continues (We know you can't wait...), we want to find out some of your best money saving ideas for end of year gifts for teachers.

So they don't have to devour 19 boxes of chocolate, drink from eight new mugs they really didn't need and dish out seven bottles of Prosecco to friends because they actually like gin (Don't we all?)... Now's the chance to share your top tips.

Do you have some thrifty homemade gift options? We know that teachers love when pupils go the extra mile!

Last year, MSE Tine turned her home into a canvas decorating workshop! Fabric pens helped bring the tote bags to life, personalising each one to the designated teacher or subject. Most have even been spotted in use at school!

Or If you like to grab a bargain - is it a quick dash to the sale shelves, or an online purchase?

Leave your comments below!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 10-07-2019 at 8:17 AM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 8th Jul 19, 3:54 PM
    • 1,347 Posts
    • 18,731 Thanks
    nannywindow
    • 8th Jul 19, 3:54 PM
    • 8th Jul 19, 3:54 PM
    How about an acrostic poem ? e.g :-

T
    E
    A
    C
    H
    E
    R
    When finished put it in a frame, there are plenty of cheap ones about from pound type stores.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 8th Jul 19, 4:32 PM
    • 4,296 Posts
    • 9,427 Thanks
    Linda32
    • 8th Jul 19, 4:32 PM
    • 8th Jul 19, 4:32 PM
    At the chance of being shot down, nothing, that is a very good money saving idea.

No I don't have kids.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 8th Jul 19, 4:42 PM
    • 7,495 Posts
    • 50,849 Thanks
    Gers
    • 8th Jul 19, 4:42 PM
    • 8th Jul 19, 4:42 PM
    Bit late for Scotland!

Anyway, when I was a bairn teachers got a thank you, mostly verbally and sometimes in a card.

I loathe this new 'tradition' of giving teachers a present, and I was one for most of my working life. It's another pressure for parents to manage and can be very divisive.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 8th Jul 19, 5:13 PM
    • 4,137 Posts
    • 55,581 Thanks
    monnagran
    • 8th Jul 19, 5:13 PM
    • 8th Jul 19, 5:13 PM
    As a teacher for 40 years, can I say that most teachers don't really want 30 children trotting in with bits and pieces.
    What they would appreciate most is a sincere letter of appreciation . I still have some of the letters written to me by parents, long after chocs have been recycled and the flowers have died.

Though I must say that on one occasion I had a child in my class whose parents were.........shall we say filthy rich. Her mother presented me with a sort of papier mache misshapen egg cup saying that she knew that I preferred to receive something the children had made themselves.
    But not from you, darling, I thought. Diamonds are the least I expect for coping with your offspring for a year.
    Last edited by monnagran; 08-07-2019 at 5:19 PM.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 8th Jul 19, 5:44 PM
    • 1,715 Posts
    • 10,219 Thanks
    grunnie
    • 8th Jul 19, 5:44 PM
    • 8th Jul 19, 5:44 PM
    The most treasured gifts I received were homemade thank you cards signed by the whole class. Please nothing that says best teacher or anything expensive. One class though clubbed together and bought me a beautiful leather handbag.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 8th Jul 19, 6:02 PM
    • 29,804 Posts
    • 62,846 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 8th Jul 19, 6:02 PM
    • 8th Jul 19, 6:02 PM
    At the chance of being shot down, nothing, that is a very good money saving idea.
    Originally posted by Linda32
    I agree, it's not expected. But discipline, respect and gratitude - all free at the point of delivery - throughout the school year is very welcome.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • JCS1
    • By JCS1 8th Jul 19, 7:08 PM
    • 3,918 Posts
    • 7,917 Thanks
    JCS1
    • 8th Jul 19, 7:08 PM
    • 8th Jul 19, 7:08 PM
    This was in the news for Christmas presents for Teachers, but same thought would apply.

The teacher here said money (and she said 1 was plenty) to go to a local foodbank, and maybe a homemade card.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-46399857
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 8th Jul 19, 7:23 PM
    • 22,839 Posts
    • 61,796 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 8th Jul 19, 7:23 PM
    • 8th Jul 19, 7:23 PM
    I can't see the sense in buying gifts for teachers.

I do see lots of 'best teacher' stuff in charity shops around the school summer holidays.

What a waste of money.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 9th Jul 19, 8:24 AM
    • 20,281 Posts
    • 47,022 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Just a thank you card, written with sincerity, that's all that is necessary.

Turning your house into a 'canvas decorating workshop' is totally OTT and laughably NOT moneysaving!
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 9th Jul 19, 10:46 AM
    • 1,414 Posts
    • 2,337 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    As the countdown to the kids breaking up for the summer continues (We know you can't wait...), we want to find out some of your best money saving ideas for end of year gifts for teachers.
    Leave your comments below!
    Originally posted by MSE Molly
    I'm going to assume that when you're paying nearly 8k per child per term then...
    A) the school can afford to pay the teachers properly.
    B) WTF!

Another nasty American import??
    Last edited by Mr_Singleton; 09-07-2019 at 12:00 PM.
    • bsuije
    • By bsuije 9th Jul 19, 11:48 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    bsuije
    Though I must say that on one occasion I had a child in my class whose parents were.........shall we say filthy rich. Her mother presented me with a sort of papier mache misshapen egg cup saying that she knew that I preferred to receive something the children had made themselves.
    But not from you, darling, I thought. Diamonds are the least I expect for coping with your offspring for a year.
    Originally posted by monnagran
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Jul 19, 1:30 PM
    • 66,510 Posts
    • 390,800 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    This should've been nipped in the bud.

Teachers don't want to be inundated with what's mostly cack.
    It puts pressure on adults.
    Kids can get bullied as bullies mock their gift.

Stop it.
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 9th Jul 19, 2:55 PM
    • 1,471 Posts
    • 2,570 Thanks
    rach_k
    It's not money saving but we give a gift card that can be spent on something for the teacher personally or something for the classroom. I'd rather spend a bit more on something I know won't be wasted.

I don't feel like it's a new tradition at all. I'm not exactly young and we always gave the teacher a present at the end of the year. I'm pretty sure my parents did as children too.

Most children spend more time (awake!) with their class teacher than they do with their parents during term-time. They build up relationships and I think it's nice to celebrate that, as well as a good way to show children that you value their teachers.
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 9th Jul 19, 7:52 PM
    • 3,190 Posts
    • 11,135 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    I was a teacher for over fifteen years.
    It was always lovely to receive one card which all the children had signed.
    I still have the letters of thanks that I received from grateful parents. Every now and then I look at them and it reminds me of the children that I was very fortunate to teach. I will always value these.
    I received many presents over the years. I found it very touching but also embarrassing. I remember as a child my parents not having the money to buy a present for my teacher and I took them in a small bottle of scent that had been mine. As a teacher I always gracefully receive the presents but also did so without making those who didn't give feel uncomfortable.
    If parents are going to give a gift, it was always better when they did a small collection that was put from all, so to prevent that awkwardness.
    A small thoughtful gift was always appreciated more rather than lots of 'Teacher tat' that you see in the shops. One year I received a Japanese Maple Leaf tree, this I still treasure. Another year I received a pen that had been engraved with my name, this I still use. Vouchers were also received. Homemade gifts such as jam, knitted scarf or a piece of artwork that a parent had created was always nice to receive.
    Finally, another year the parents clubbed together, they bought me a nice box of chocolates and spent the rest of the money buying some school dinners for children in Africa.
    Last edited by Gem-gem; 09-07-2019 at 8:34 PM.
    2 Savers Club 2019 no. 1. 260
    Save 12k in 2019 no.82
    2019 - A clutter free life
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 9th Jul 19, 7:58 PM
    • 20,535 Posts
    • 34,276 Thanks
    Spendless
    I'm going to assume that when you're paying nearly 8k per child per term then...
    A) the school can afford to pay the teachers properly.
    B) WTF!

Another nasty American import??
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    Eh?? Who is spending 8K per child per term? You or someone else?

American import? It's been going on for years, though it only happens at Primary school.(afaik)

Teachers do not need 30 small gifts per year (or even twice a year as sometimes christmas presents are also bought). My mum was a hairdresser, my Dad a bus driver for a special needs school. Each Christmas they got umpteen chocolates and alcohol. Much of which was off-loaded onto family members or sometimes binned (Mum hates ferrero rocher). As much as I liked the bottles of wine etc that came my way. The gifter hadn't bought for me.

The only good way I have ever heard of for the teacher to receive a gift if that is what is wanted was when a Mum collected a 1 off all the kids parents and then gave a 30 voucher. That way teacher got something they wanted, and it only cost each family 1. She then bought a big card all the kids signed
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 9th Jul 19, 8:54 PM
    • 3,628 Posts
    • 6,676 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    1) There's no need. If you can't afford to buy a gift for the teacher, please don't. The teacher will understand and won't mind.

2) There's a limit to how many 'Best Teacher' fridge magnets anyone needs.

3) If you're going to buy gifts, don't forget the other people in your child's school life. When I had a Nursery Nurse or Classroom Assistant working with me, they rarely received anything. I always insisted on splitting my gifts with them, but not all teachers do.
    • amycool
    • By amycool 10th Jul 19, 10:42 AM
    • 848 Posts
    • 3,733 Thanks
    amycool
    This year we have bought a charity gift of school dinners and a card. Last year I wrote a letter to the teacher and she said it was her favourite gift.

There's a group of parents who make a huge fuss about collecting money then present the gift (usually a huge 50 bouquet of flowers, chocolate and wine) as if it was just from them. I've never felt the need to compete.
    Mortgage (Start Sep 2014)- 70,295/4671.93 - 93.3%
    Overpayments - 46009.03
    • Pensionerkbm
    • By Pensionerkbm 10th Jul 19, 11:28 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Pensionerkbm
    Retired Teacher
    I retired from teaching 13 years ago and was always happy to receive a thank you card from parents.
    Quietly embarrassed by gifts as I loved my work and the children and families.
    No gift required is my message.
    • teeb
    • By teeb 10th Jul 19, 11:43 AM
    • 388 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    teeb
    As a teacher in a Secondary school, the best present you can give is a handwritten letter (from child or parent, depending on age and stage) saying thank you. These are the things that we keep in our desk drawers to cheer us up for years - wine and chocolates will vanish quickly.

Or if you want to thank your Secondary / High school teachers - your kid could have 20 different teachers and gifts really aren't expected. Some of our parents have handed in a plate of homemade biscuits or a cake for the staffroom. This goes down really well...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,590Posts Today

5,689Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin