The Final Few Months of Debt

Hello, this is my first post in this forum so please be kind. I just wanted to share a little bit of my story in the hope it might resonate with one or two people in the same position I was.

I'm a single 35 year old male who's been in debt for most of my adult life. There was a brief period around seven or eight years ago when I was debt free but with only minimal savings.

I took an Open University degree and a holiday which wiped out my savings and put me back in debt. I'm a relatively high earner, though with only a single household income, I'm probably in no better a position than many other households.

I had a mindset where I thought I could buy what I wanted when I wanted it as long as I could meet the minimum monthly payments. By the end of 2016 I was probably around £50,000 in debt though half of that was a hire purchase agreement on my car. I'm not sure I ever had a 'lightbulb moment' but I did realise that I had very little to show for my debt, and the things I did have were not making me happy to the extent that my debts were dragging me down.

Suddenly, it seemed silly to have an expensive car, the latest iPhone and all sorts of other material goods while worrying about whether I could afford to buy lunch or not. I stopped going out and seeing friends because I was worried about not being able to afford a pint but all the while I was still occasionally 'treating' myself to the tune of hundreds of pounds. I even made the classic error of taking out a consolidation loan to pay off my credit cards only to find that I'd maxed them out again six months later.

In hindsight, it all seems very stupid.

Fortunately, I've never missed a payment on anything, nor had debt collectors at my door. I've managed my monthly budgets pretty well and managed to live on a shoestring. I knew, however, that something had to change.

I managed to curb the uncontrolled spending and channelled all of my energies into paying every spare penny into repaying debt. I gave up my apartment and moved back in with my parents (though I did pay a third of the household bills.) I took VT on my car and bought a cheap runaround outright. In 30 months, I'd reduced my debt from £50,000 to £1,000 and my final payment will be on July 30th. No more credit cards, loans, retail finance or overdrafts. Instead, I'll be booking a holiday and saving up a housing deposit.

I'm looking forward to the small things - like having that extra pint with friends or being able to take a taxi instead of walking the two miles home from the station in the rain. Friday night takeaways are back and I can buy the occasional new pair of jeans without feeling guilty.

I'm interested in hearing from anybody that's gotten themselves completely out of debt and been able to build up substantial savings. Are you happier now? Did your life and your day-to-day outlook change? Did you find that your frugality stuck with you or did you get yourself back into bad habits?

Anyway, that's my story. I might post again on or after July 30th. To anybody still stuck in the mire I hope you find a way out. Most of all, I hope that a debt-free life lives up the promise I've long-held for it.

Comments

• Wow! I admire your dedication to clearing your debts. What an inspiration you are. Massive kudos and a million congratulations to you! :T

I'm debt-free but have had debt in the past. To me being DF means having peace of mind (and you can't put a price on that). I enjoy being able to save. I'm no longer frightened to open the post (for fear it being another bill). The denial was real for me when I was accruing debt. I can now confront and control my finances head-on.

I've learnt some life-changing money-saving techniques - both from this brilliant forum and also from the awe-inspiring Martin Lewis (all hail - that man deserves a knighthood in my opinion :money:)

My main tip is to continue to re-build your credit history by using your credit card but to always make sure you put the equivalent money by so you can pay the bill off IN FULL every single month.

Thank you for sharing your journey. You have certainly inspired me. Enjoy that holiday! :beer:
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,118 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Just popping in to say well done :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • jools1985
    jools1985 Posts: 324 Forumite
    Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud! First Post First Anniversary
    Wow what a tremendous achievement. Well done you :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure