Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • maggiesoup
    • By maggiesoup 16th Apr 19, 6:54 PM
    • 571Posts
    • 121Thanks
    maggiesoup
    Turmeric Tablets
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:54 PM
    Turmeric Tablets 16th Apr 19 at 6:54 PM
    Hello, I received a Facebook link to an Irish lady who was raving about these tablets, which apparently helped her chronic pain. Does anyone have any experience of these, and if so do the off-the-shelf tablets work? I'm curious
Page 1
    • Cyclizine
    • By Cyclizine 18th Apr 19, 2:44 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Cyclizine
    • 18th Apr 19, 2:44 PM
    • 18th Apr 19, 2:44 PM
    If they did, why do you think a drug company hasn't picked up on it? There'd be millions to be made. There's no such thing as a miracle 'natural' cure.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 20th Apr 19, 5:54 PM
    • 6,189 Posts
    • 4,678 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 20th Apr 19, 5:54 PM
    • 20th Apr 19, 5:54 PM
    check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/415313751866609/

Many users of turmeric and expert advice from here.
    • BananaRepublic
    • By BananaRepublic 21st Apr 19, 8:08 AM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 956 Thanks
    BananaRepublic
    • 21st Apr 19, 8:08 AM
    • 21st Apr 19, 8:08 AM
    If they did, why do you think a drug company hasn't picked up on it? There'd be millions to be made. There's no such thing as a miracle 'natural' cure.
    Originally posted by Cyclizine
    Turmeric is not patentable therefore there is no incentive for a drugs company to investigate its efficacy as a curative. Were GSK to invest millions, if not more, and discovered that it made you fitter and more attractive, it’d make the owner of Ahmed’s Asian Superstore happy, but GSK would not get back their investment. As far as I know existing studies have been done by non profit organisations such as universities. Many ‘natural’ substances are benficial. Beetroot can lower blood pressure. Blackcurrants are full of anti oxidants that are supposedly good for you.

That is not to say that turmeric is beneficial. People claim that curries are good because they contain turmeric, but the amount is tiny. Apparently there is no evidence that turmeric is beneficial to health, or for that matter detrimental in modest quantities. However, there is no evidence that it is safe in high quantities, and some turmeric is adulterated with substances that are toxic in high doses. So why take a chance based on unsubstantiated claims, when it could in fact have unexpected negative long term effects?

Claims for turmeric as a medicine are often made by quackery web sites, pushing their books, or products.

However, if you can find a source of pure turmeric, and the price is not silly, you could always try it.

Incidentally, what is the nature of your chronic pain, if that is not too personal a question?
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 21st Apr 19, 1:58 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    britishboy
    • 21st Apr 19, 1:58 PM
    • 21st Apr 19, 1:58 PM
    We give our 8 year old spaniel (I know, no comparison to human pain) Golden Paste, a turmeric and black pepper mix, and it does ease her stiff joints and she seems brighter when on it. We buy it ready mixed and she has 2 pea sized blobs a day with food.

And there are a lot of discussions on social media about its health benefits. Me and my partner have now started having a small amount every day purely as a preventative measure
    • BananaRepublic
    • By BananaRepublic 21st Apr 19, 6:15 PM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 956 Thanks
    BananaRepublic
    • 21st Apr 19, 6:15 PM
    • 21st Apr 19, 6:15 PM
    I found this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5003001/

It may well be that there is insufficient research to prove either way, but the above does suggest it may be effective in pain relief. I believe that such research is expensive, and companies have no incentive to do it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,528Posts Today

7,208Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin