Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Karl
    • By MSE Karl 19th Mar 19, 4:41 PM
    • 124Posts
    • 40Thanks
    MSE Karl
    MSE Poll: Should the contactless card spending limit be increased?
    • 19th Mar 19, 4:41 PM
    MSE Poll: Should the contactless card spending limit be increased? 19th Mar 19 at 4:41 PM
    Poll started 19 March 2019
    Two in five card payments are now made using contactless up 31% in 2018. Yet the maximum amount you can spend using contactless is just 30 (barring some using Apple Pay), which is done to cap spending if someone takes your card.

What would you like the limit per transaction to be?

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below.

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
Page 1
    • Livy
    • By Livy 19th Mar 19, 8:05 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Livy
    • 19th Mar 19, 8:05 PM
    • 19th Mar 19, 8:05 PM
    What would help if retailers actually implemented Apple and Android pay properly.
    Instead of setting a 30 for all contactless transactions.
    • Pete Sussex
    • By Pete Sussex 20th Mar 19, 8:19 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Pete Sussex
    • 20th Mar 19, 8:19 AM
    Should be the user's choice.
    • 20th Mar 19, 8:19 AM
    Personally I think contactless is a bad idea. They spent millions implementing Chip & Pin to protect us and now it's bypassed. The other week, tired after a double shift at work, I left my card in the hospital car park machine. Raced back when I realised but of course it was gone. Luckily an honest person had found it and called the bank and it was cancelled. If it had been a contactless card I could have lost up to 180 for a moment's carelessness. That's a lot when you work for the NHS!
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 20th Mar 19, 9:12 AM
    • 13,407 Posts
    • 18,571 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    • 20th Mar 19, 9:12 AM
    • 20th Mar 19, 9:12 AM
    My answer: Yes.

It's already 50 in London and 30 everywhere else: I wonder why that was agreed?

Some Londoners who venture outside the Big Smoke throw a strop and complain about their fee fees being offended when they find out the contactless limit is lower up here.

I think it needs to be increased and made the same for everyone with this disparity removed.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021
    • williamro
    • By williamro 20th Mar 19, 9:21 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    williamro
    • 20th Mar 19, 9:21 AM
    Risky cards when lost or stolen
    • 20th Mar 19, 9:21 AM
    Risks if cards are lost are already too great. You could lose 10 x 30 or more in a very short time. Suggest cardholder sets own limit but issuer would have some say especially where cardholder wanted a high limit which would increase risks of losses to cardholder and issuer. I would prefer to set my limit to 20 and be prepared to use a PIN for higher sums. Maybe fingerprint technology will supersede all of this before long.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 20th Mar 19, 12:44 PM
    • 1,782 Posts
    • 4,418 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    • 20th Mar 19, 12:44 PM
    • 20th Mar 19, 12:44 PM
    It's already 50 in London and 30 everywhere else:
    Originally posted by MothballsWallet
    Really??? I'm a regular visitor to London for work and didn't know there was a higher limit there. It's not something that's been well publicised so not really surprising some Londoners are being caught out when they go elsewhere.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 20th Mar 19, 1:31 PM
    • 9,101 Posts
    • 30,326 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 20th Mar 19, 1:31 PM
    • 20th Mar 19, 1:31 PM
    I'm a wicked old reactionary - I say let the individual set the maximum, but if it's over the agreed 30 then they are liable for any unauthorised transcriptions.

Accidents happen but if you desperately need to pay for something "with a tap", you may need a lesson or two in card care & management.

I also want to see the option of absolutely-no-contactless and app-disabled-contactless more clearly possible.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 20th Mar 19, 5:56 PM
    • 3,530 Posts
    • 2,260 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 20th Mar 19, 5:56 PM
    • 20th Mar 19, 5:56 PM
    I don't have any contactless cards. Every time somebody sends me one, I tell them to send me one without the contactless option.

HSBC didn't seem to have any way of doing that. It was just another reason to dump them.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 20th Mar 19, 5:57 PM
    • 18,806 Posts
    • 47,685 Thanks
    elsien
    • 20th Mar 19, 5:57 PM
    • 20th Mar 19, 5:57 PM
    Only if you have the option to decrease it to a lower level if you wish.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • FedUpWithHikes
    • By FedUpWithHikes 20th Mar 19, 8:02 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    FedUpWithHikes
    I'd like to disable the contactless function!
    I would prefer the card companies and banks to offer users a non-contactless card option, but as it's their plan to reduce the use of cash (for their benefit), they won't!
    1. They cut their costs of handling and transporting cash - and can close more branches!
    2. They get a "cut" of every transaction!
    3. They gather information of what we buy, where and when, which they can sell to advertisers (or GCHQ/NSA).
    4. They hope users will spend more!
    I'll stick to cash, and keep my anonymity!
    I put some tinfoil in my wallet to protect against fraud! If the crooks areen't already scanning people who walk past, they soon will! No need to steal a card, just charge it!
    • yorkie22
    • By yorkie22 20th Mar 19, 8:11 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    yorkie22
    contactless
    These are one of the worst idea's yet. I have worked in a shop where thieves have come in and used someone else's card. they try it out with something cheap then they go in for whatever they can. 30 may not sound a lot but after a few times it adds up. It's alright the bank saying ' we will put the money back' but where is all this money coming from to put it back. If the temptation is.'t there they can't spend it. I had contactless taken off my cards. I know you think ' I won't loose my card or risk having it stolen' but those that have lost money probably said the same.
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 20th Mar 19, 9:20 PM
    • 393 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    Takmon
    Personally I think contactless is a bad idea. They spent millions implementing Chip & Pin to protect us and now it's bypassed. The other week, tired after a double shift at work, I left my card in the hospital car park machine. Raced back when I realised but of course it was gone. Luckily an honest person had found it and called the bank and it was cancelled. If it had been a contactless card I could have lost up to 180 for a moment's carelessness. That's a lot when you work for the NHS!
    Originally posted by Pete Sussex
    Risks if cards are lost are already too great. You could lose 10 x 30 or more in a very short time. Suggest cardholder sets own limit but issuer would have some say especially where cardholder wanted a high limit which would increase risks of losses to cardholder and issuer. I would prefer to set my limit to 20 and be prepared to use a PIN for higher sums. Maybe fingerprint technology will supersede all of this before long.
    Originally posted by williamro
    You don't loose any money when due to contactless fraud because the banks refund it guaranteed.

These are one of the worst idea's yet. I have worked in a shop where thieves have come in and used someone else's card. they try it out with something cheap then they go in for whatever they can. 30 may not sound a lot but after a few times it adds up. It's alright the bank saying ' we will put the money back' but where is all this money coming from to put it back. If the temptation is.'t there they can't spend it. I had contactless taken off my cards. I know you think ' I won't loose my card or risk having it stolen' but those that have lost money probably said the same.
    Originally posted by yorkie22
    If the banks were not making a profit overall from contactless they wouldn't be promoting it so much.

I would prefer the card companies and banks to offer users a non-contactless card option, but as it's their plan to reduce the use of cash (for their benefit), they won't!
    1. They cut their costs of handling and transporting cash - and can close more branches!
    2. They get a "cut" of every transaction!
    3. They gather information of what we buy, where and when, which they can sell to advertisers (or GCHQ/NSA).
    4. They hope users will spend more!
    I'll stick to cash, and keep my anonymity!
    I put some tinfoil in my wallet to protect against fraud! If the crooks areen't already scanning people who walk past, they soon will! No need to steal a card, just charge it!
    Originally posted by FedUpWithHikes
    I much prefer card payments to cash it's far more convienent and if you loose cash it's gone forever. If a payment from a card is taken fraudulently the bank will return you so you get far more protection.

The banks don't get information of what people buy they simply get the amount of the transaction and what company it was paid for. Have you ever used any kind of loyalty card like Nectar or Clubcard? That's what are used to tract people's purchases to gather information for marketing purposes.
    If your worried about GCHQ or NSA tracking your purchases then you really need to stop buying illegal things.

I think you need to put some tin foil on your head aswell!. If a their used a card terminal to take fraudulent payments from people walking by then they would soon be caught when all the payments are reported. This is just one of those illogical scare stories to worry the absent minded.
    • Gordon the Moron
    • By Gordon the Moron 21st Mar 19, 11:36 AM
    • 1,445 Posts
    • 735 Thanks
    Gordon the Moron
    Those that want an option of no contactless. You can easily have it for all your cards in one place, get a Curve card and you can lock it via the app between uses meaning it can't be used contactless or not between uses. Takes 5 seconds.

In answer to the question, if banks are willing to be liable for a larger contactless limit that should be up to them.

On a side note, why do you still need to insert your card for PIN transactions? Why can't they read the contactless antenna with a tap then prompt you for a PIN?
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 21st Mar 19, 8:23 PM
    • 393 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    Takmon
    On a side note, why do you still need to insert your card for PIN transactions? Why can't they read the contactless antenna with a tap then prompt you for a PIN?
    Originally posted by Gordon the Moron
    The PIN is stored on the chip and the machine can't access the chip and verify the PIN is correct when using contactless.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 22nd Mar 19, 7:31 AM
    • 13,407 Posts
    • 18,571 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Really??? I'm a regular visitor to London for work and didn't know there was a higher limit there. It's not something that's been well publicised so not really surprising some Londoners are being caught out when they go elsewhere.
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus
    That's what the man in the National Express Coventry travel shop (in Coventry, oddly enough) told me when I went to buy 15 of their day tickets to top up a Swift card (the West Midlands version of Oyster).

Now, he could have been mistaken, or the people from London he was talking about were mistaken, but even so...
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 23rd Mar 19, 10:59 AM
    • 4,864 Posts
    • 7,410 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Those that want an option of no contactless. You can easily have it for all your cards in one place, get a Curve card and you can lock it via the app between uses meaning it can't be used contactless or not between uses. Takes 5 seconds.
    Originally posted by Gordon the Moron
    Completely agree. The FinTechs are leading the way here. The ability to lock your card on Curve, combined with instant notifications when the card is used, provides excellent protection against fraud.

Revolut is even better. You can disable "swipe" (magnetic strip) payments, contactless, ATM withdrawals, and on line transactions. These are all separate options. Revolut also offers location based security. If your GPS location doesn't match the retailers location, the transaction is blocked.

The downside of Curve and Revolut is that you lose S75 protection.

The banks and legacy credit card providers need to move with the times.

As for the limit - I would like a limit of 50 or 100, but with the ability to control it through an app on my phone. I was distrustful of contactless at first, but I now find it very useful. And the instant confirmation of the transaction on my phone (most of my spend is on Amex) means I no longer keep credit card receipts. A personalised limit of up to 100, controlled by an app, would be good.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 3rd Apr 19, 3:54 PM
    • 4,864 Posts
    • 7,410 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Marie - you should contact the MSE Forum Team for Verified User status if you want to post officially on behalf of Curve.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/forum-faqs/?_ga=2.173026531.1326344987.1554123136-1249048034.1542640373

If you work for a qualifying company and are in a position to represent it (we'll require official confirmation) please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com from your company domain.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,105Posts Today

7,493Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin