Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackeeBoy
    • By JackeeBoy 13th Jan 19, 12:56 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 11Thanks
    JackeeBoy
    Do I have to inform work of a second job?
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:56 PM
    Do I have to inform work of a second job? 13th Jan 19 at 12:56 PM
    Hi all

I currently work in the insurance industry in a manager role. Recently applied for a weekend customer service role at another financial institution (not insurance). Assuming I get the role, do I have to inform my current company? Also, during the interview stage, what can I say about my current job situation? I have no problem telling them I am looking to make some extra money over the weekend but don't want them asking for references as I work for a small company as this will quickly get about.

Thanks for your help.

Update - Thanks all. I have checked my contract and is states that I can't take up employment with anyone else unless I get this agreed in writing.
    Last edited by JackeeBoy; 13-01-2019 at 4:18 PM.
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 13th Jan 19, 12:59 PM
    • 33,356 Posts
    • 21,001 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:59 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 12:59 PM
    Hi all

I currently work in the insurance industry in a manager role. Recently applied for a weekend customer service role at another financial institution (not insurance). Assuming I get the role, do I have to inform my current company? Also, during the interview stage, what can I say about my current job situation? I have no problem telling them I am looking to make some extra money over the weekend but don't want them asking for references as I work for a small company as this will quickly get about.

Thanks for your help.
    Originally posted by JackeeBoy

What does your contract say ?
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 13th Jan 19, 1:03 PM
    • 5,512 Posts
    • 6,829 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:03 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:03 PM
    most jobs require you to tell them about other work. The working time directives about number of hours worked don't make exceptions for different employers, so they have a legitimate interest in what hours you work for other people: https://www.employmentsolicitor.com/working-time-regulations-happens-employees-multiple-jobs/
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 13th Jan 19, 1:18 PM
    • 5,824 Posts
    • 6,575 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:18 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 1:18 PM
    It's pretty common for your contract of employment with the main employer to state that you have to inform them if you intend to take up a 2nd job. They also have the right to refuse you permission. You need to check your contract to see if that is the case with your employer.
    I don't understand why you are concerned about your employer knowing about a 2nd job, but that is not relevant to the question raised. I suspect others may be along soon just asking that exact question. :-)
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 13th Jan 19, 2:22 PM
    • 34,140 Posts
    • 20,700 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 13th Jan 19, 2:22 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 2:22 PM
    Breach of trust is a big risk for any multiple job situation.

Both should be aware to avoid any risks of conflict of interest.

Availabilty being one of them.
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 13th Jan 19, 2:25 PM
    • 1,523 Posts
    • 2,929 Thanks
    nicechap
    • 13th Jan 19, 2:25 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 2:25 PM
    Hi all

Thanks for your help.
    As a manager, what would you think of your staff if you found they had a second job in the same industry and not asked for permission or told you?

As others have said, its likely to be a contractual condition to get permission but, depending on the exact circumstances, you leave yourself open to disciplinary action even if it doesn't.
    ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē - George Carlin
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 13th Jan 19, 2:39 PM
    • 5,660 Posts
    • 9,589 Thanks
    Gavin83
    • 13th Jan 19, 2:39 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 2:39 PM
    I have no problem telling them I am looking to make some extra money over the weekend but don't want them asking for references as I work for a small company as this will quickly get about.
    It's extremely likely they'll want references from your current employer. If you tell them you don't want them seeking references it's unlikely you'll get the job, they'll be suspicious and rightly so.

As others have said your contract at your main employer will almost certainly state you've to mention any alternative employment. It's possible they'll refuse you permission, you'll need to decide what's more important then.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 13th Jan 19, 2:53 PM
    • 6,877 Posts
    • 5,416 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 13th Jan 19, 2:53 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 2:53 PM
    You are v. likely to require prior consent before undertaking additional employment and you may (will) have to sign a working time opt-out.
    Donít be a canít, be a can.
    • mklister
    • By mklister 13th Jan 19, 4:11 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mklister
    • 13th Jan 19, 4:11 PM
    • 13th Jan 19, 4:11 PM
    I think most of the employers I've had have stated in my contract that I can only work for them, and therefore can't take additional employment.

I would check what your contract states first.
    • JackeeBoy
    • By JackeeBoy 13th Jan 19, 4:22 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    JackeeBoy
    Thanks all. I have checked my contract and is states that I can't take up employment with anyone else unless I get this agreed in writing. The second job will be ideal as it's working from home on the weekends, but I can see my boss raising an eye brow over it, especially as he will be thinking it may affect my performance.

I'm fortunate to be in the position I am in but the past two years have been tough and I just want to catch a lucky break.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 13th Jan 19, 5:24 PM
    • 5,824 Posts
    • 6,575 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    All you can do is ask. You expect them to refuse but you won't know until you ask. They may agree to a trial period if you put that forward from the outset.
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 13th Jan 19, 6:06 PM
    • 1,982 Posts
    • 2,926 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    The tax position would be interesting if you didn't tell your main employer.

The problem with second jobs like this is working 7 days a week you may be very tired. Any time off sick there is always the suspicion (often well founded) that you are working overtime on the other job. Employers don't like it much. A bit of cash in hand work somewhere might be easier and less taxing!!
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 13th Jan 19, 7:07 PM
    • 39,367 Posts
    • 36,357 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    You have to ask, but permission won't always be refused - although in this particular situation it might well be.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • JackeeBoy
    • By JackeeBoy 13th Jan 19, 7:38 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    JackeeBoy
    The tax position would be interesting if you didn't tell your main employer.

The problem with second jobs like this is working 7 days a week you may be very tired. Any time off sick there is always the suspicion (often well founded) that you are working overtime on the other job. Employers don't like it much. A bit of cash in hand work somewhere might be easier and less taxing!!
    Originally posted by Mr.Generous
    I wish I could find such a role! Especially if i is ad hoc work.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 13th Jan 19, 8:50 PM
    • 5,660 Posts
    • 9,589 Thanks
    Gavin83
    Originally posted by Mr.Generous
    This is likely the main issue. I suspect as a one off, for a weekend or two most employers wouldn't care. However if you're working 7 days a week, every week it will start to affect your performance in the main job. Naturally they'll want you working at your best.
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 14th Jan 19, 11:54 AM
    • 811 Posts
    • 870 Thanks
    General Grant
    most jobs require you to tell them about other work. The working time directives about number of hours worked don't make exceptions for different employers, so they have a legitimate interest in what hours you work for other people: https://www.employmentsolicitor.com/working-time-regulations-happens-employees-multiple-jobs/
    Originally posted by theoretica

However, of course, if an employee signs an opt out from the 48-hour maximum, the employer does not have to keep track of hours worked.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,111Posts Today

8,543Users online

Martin's Twitter