Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 13th Jan 19, 7:33 AM
    • 744Posts
    • 11,048Thanks
    silver-oldie
    O/S Daily Sunday 13th January 2019
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:33 AM
    O/S Daily Sunday 13th January 2019 13th Jan 19 at 7:33 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
Page 1
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 13th Jan 19, 7:38 AM
    • 744 Posts
    • 11,048 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:38 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 7:38 AM
    Goodmorning all

Hope you are all asleep and just me up at silly o'clock

Welcome kitty

Saw mother yesterday,still not talking. Got talking to the cook,tried some wonderful cake

Take care all
    Last edited by silver-oldie; 13-01-2019 at 11:04 AM.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 13th Jan 19, 8:23 AM
    • 554 Posts
    • 7,749 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:23 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 8:23 AM
    Good morning and thank you for starting off SO and Nelski.

It's not a bad morning here grey and windy but not too cold.

Did a bit of shopping yesterday, and the usual jobs.

Today - nothing planned, might scrub the backyard, it's all green and I hate it like that. We certainly know how to live.

Take care folks
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 13th Jan 19, 9:04 AM
    • 3,195 Posts
    • 35,310 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:04 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:04 AM
    Morning all,

s-o what is wonder cake?

I didn't post yesterday because I had the opposite problem to some of you. As you were all waking at 3am for the day, I was just falling asleep. Note to self - do not take headache tablets with caffeine in them so close to bed time I was awake again just after 6am so I was very tired all day.

Today is an easy day. I have to iron the HT's school uniform and anything else on the ironing pile (not much) and make a roast dinner. I've hauled the left overs from our New Year's roast out of the freezer for that so not a great deal of cooking.

aod is the better pattern for the trauma teddies on line anywhere please? These ones look a bit weird - sort of like cats without tails

Nannyw I hope you're not as sore today

Take care all of you
    Weight loss 2019 5 lbs
    • Gers
    • By Gers 13th Jan 19, 9:12 AM
    • 7,164 Posts
    • 48,701 Thanks
    Gers
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:12 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:12 AM
    Morning all.

There are high winds, driving rain and low grey clouds here, seems set for the day. The wind was blowing all night too. Driving over the Rest yesterday was very hairy because of the wind. I'm glad I don't have to go out. Sometimes I think about getting a dog though it's days like this that make me glad I don't.

No big plans today. There's some forms to complete for my students but that's about it. No doubt things will change during the day.

I hope all is well with you all, or getting better.

Happy Sunday.
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 13th Jan 19, 9:21 AM
    • 2,298 Posts
    • 24,911 Thanks
    snoozer
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:21 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:21 AM
    Hi SO and Cranky, the thread is very quiet today, I hope dumpling is getting some sleep.

We went to see The Favourite last night, what a very weird film, but I didn't mind the historical inaccuracies as much as I normally do because it was so weird. It's when a film or series pretends to be historically accurate and then isn't that I get cross.

Laura is still here, Steve had his pneumonia jab yesterday and ended up not feeling very well, hopefully he will be a bit better today, but he is still sleeping, as is Laura. Steve also got his first appointments for the chemo, which is starting on the 21st.

We're hoping to see Chris and Crystal today and also Brian might arrive as well.
    • Bozwood
    • By Bozwood 13th Jan 19, 9:44 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 2,517 Thanks
    Bozwood
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:44 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:44 AM
    Morning everyone. It’s dark here we have the lights on not a lot to do today. Roast chicken for dinner later. Rest of the washing to put away. Call at Tesco. We are also going to see my sil who has moved house to round the corner to us. She has downsized to a bungalow with 2bedrooms
    • -taff
    • By -taff 13th Jan 19, 9:50 AM
    • 9,699 Posts
    • 11,943 Thanks
    -taff
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:50 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:50 AM
    Morning all! Much better than I was although still have the dreaded cough, hot and cold and spinning head - not a la Linda Blair though...Me and my big mouth just had to say how easy i found it to sleep, so obviously, sleep was in short supply all week until it came very late...
    Date has been set for op,week after next. It is not very warm here so I think the fire is going to go on in a minute. Couldn't be bothered to light it all this week, didn't have the energy to keep putting logs on it.
    good news snoozer re the jab, hope it all goes OK for him..SO, you know you get to be as grumpy as you like don't you? or as happy....have you got any help yet? Holly, nice to see you , wotcha poppy...hope everyone else is having such a fantastic day that they're much too busy to post
    Have a good one, and be careful out there......
    • redruby
    • By redruby 13th Jan 19, 9:57 AM
    • 6,973 Posts
    • 98,011 Thanks
    redruby
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:57 AM
    • 13th Jan 19, 9:57 AM
    Morning all

OH and I still feeling a bit ropey so we wont be doing an awful lot today, I have stripped the beds and got them onto wash so we need to remake them. We also MUST get rid of the td which is still out on the front garden and looks awful so that has to go today.

Will take madam on her walk later and that will be it we can both have a rest then.

Im not sure about dinner we have some pork chops so I might do them with some mash and veg, I think I will make up a chicken and chorizio tray bake for tomorrow night.

Hope everyone is well and has a good day xx
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 13th Jan 19, 10:28 AM
    • 433 Posts
    • 8,371 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    Good morning everyone, had a quiet day yesterday after coffee club, watched a film but it wasn't Mr Turner, may watch that this evening. I'm going to meet a friend in Edinburgh later in the month, to go to see the annual January showing of watercolours from the Turner collection at the Scottish National Gallery.

There's only two of us doing the Sunday stroll today, and we're doing a short riverside route with a choice of coffee shops afterwards. Off to a friend's house in the afternoon for a game or two of canasta, and a blether.

Food today is very straightforward - the same soup as yesterday, and the second half of the turkey casserole I made yesterday.

Taff and snoozer, it's easier when you have the operation date and treatment dates to plan toward, rather than waiting without a definite date to go by.

Hoping everyone has the best Sunday possible. xxx
    • kittydfw2012
    • By kittydfw2012 13th Jan 19, 11:04 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 741 Thanks
    kittydfw2012
    Had a late night (nearly 1am before we headed to bed) after being out to see some friends and meet a few new people which was really nice. I hardly ever go out but am making a bit more effort this year to spend time with people who have shared interests, goals and values and be part of communities rather than being a hermit which I'm apt naturally to be.

Got up around 9am which is quite late for me, checked animals were all in order after such a windy night and it's still very blustery here in NW England.

I think it's probably a good idea for everyone to be under the duvet or at least blankets on the sofa today, what a lovely way to spend a winter Sunday.

We're having baked brie cheese (last of the Christmas stuff) in pastry with some veggies for dinner, can't wait, I love cheese

x
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 13th Jan 19, 11:11 AM
    • 2,484 Posts
    • 26,183 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Our usual relaxed start to Sunday, breakfast in bed, just about to have a cuppa.

Have prepped the veg for supper and also put on a pot of scotch broth. Soaked broth mix, yellow lentils and some of our own beans overnight, all in the PKP doing its stuff.

Grey day, its raining, I really hate this damp grey weather, snow and sun I can cope with as long as I am well wrapped up. I do not do cold wind well either.

OH is doing ok just now, he is spending his time between the history of the village, his weather forecasting, playing games on his IPad, reading or half an hour in the garden, that depends on the weather of course.

Scotch broth and bread for lunch. OH has yogurt I have an apple. Roast pork, veg and roasties for supper, have the makings of a rhubarb crumble out as well, waiting for the rhubarb to defrost. I have just enough fruit in the freezer to make another one, that will be all last years fruit used up.

Freezer diving this morning I found a pound of butter I forgot we had, so no butter needed this week from Aldi.
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 13th Jan 19, 11:25 AM
    • 1,634 Posts
    • 22,978 Thanks
    dumpling
    Good morning everyone
    I am still having trouble sleeping at night but managed to go back to bed this morning and slept till 10.30 which has made me a feel a little more human . I can fall asleep in a minute once I am in bed but I only sleep for 2 hours tops before I am wide awake again. It's a bit annoying but I am very thankful I don't have to go to work or anything like that so I can nana nap as needed.

We are having a roast beef dinner this evening and Steve has promised me he will make some yorkshire puds. I can't make them at all and his are gorgeous so that will be fab. There is no dessert today so I am expecting some whinging from the kids but it is just tough. The amusing thing is that I have had to send Phoebe over to Tesco to buy a load more fuit as they have all scoffed what was in the fruit bowl when normally I would end up throwing stuff away . It can only be good for them .

I had a phonecall from my friend's son yesterday looking for her. Apparently she told her family she was staying here but I told him that I hadn't seen her since Thursday and she stayed in a hotel. I didn't say she was with someone else but I hope she surfaces soon and goes back home as they must be worried sick. I am trying not to think about it all too much.

I hope everyone enjoys their quiet day. I am going to finish knitting a llama as you do and then plan my next project. Take care everyone xx

• TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 13th Jan 19, 12:12 PM
    • 4,400 Posts
    • 34,141 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    Morning (just) people. I wish I could say I have slept in but sadly I am still waking at 3.00 a.m. It gets wearing day after b****y day and I am permanently like a wet rag.

I have been MIA for a few days as I seemed to hit a right downer. My friend says it's still very early days and I can't expect to bounce back so quickly and just go with the flow. I gave in yesterday and spent the entire day in front of the tv, intermittently dozing an then prising myself off the sofa for comfort food. I kicked off with one of my favourite old films - Mrs Miniver. I love that film.

Today I feel a bit less miserable and bereft and have tackled a few jobs. I like to have a variety of soups in the freezer (just call me Mrs Heinz) to have with a sarnie for my lunches this cold weather, so a big pan of celery has been made, blitzed up and now in the freezer potted up in portions.

One portion has been left out to have with a cheese and ham toastie for my lunch. I got a chicken fillet out to defrost for tonight and have topped it with a cheese and leek crumble mix (copied from a rm I got in Aldi a while back) and will have with hm potato wedges and some salad.

Have a good day folks if you can and ((HUGS)) as always for all the poorlies, sad, worried or lonely amongst us. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 13th Jan 19, 12:15 PM
    • 2,132 Posts
    • 26,788 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    I was going to say good morning but suddenly it is the afternoon.

I'm just about to prep the veg and make stuffing for tonight's dinner, roast chicken etc. Dumpling I almost never make pudding, there is always fruit. So on the rate puddingy occasions, it is regarded as a special treat.

CRANKY40 I'm afraid it is just one of the patterns I regularly use for bears and I'd share it but is copyrighted. I do plan to ask the publisher if I can share as it is for charitable purposes. I just don't much like the regular trauma ted pattern.

Nothing much to report, my life is not fascinating at present!
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 13th Jan 19, 12:24 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 17,063 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Afternoon all
    I'm not quite so afraid to move today, but my hip is still painful, although it has lessened ( the pain not my hip ). I had a reasonable sleep last night but woke up about 3.30 am to a loud bang, looked out the window to see over the roads bins on their side, must have been a big gust of wind because there was no one about.
    Dad rang this morning and he's decided to stay at home because of his cold, I offered to send his lunch up but he said that he had taken one out of his freezer. So now there's only 2 of us and we have decided to have lunch at tea time, steak pie, mash and veg for me and Mr Fix It wants chips instead of mash.
    Not much happening here today, we shall probably watch a film or two

Kitty hello
    Cranky thank you and I hope you feel better too.

Hope everyone has a peaceful Sunday. Hugs to all
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • wmf
    • By wmf 13th Jan 19, 4:07 PM
    • 1,792 Posts
    • 21,575 Thanks
    wmf
    TA - thinking of you so much and wishing easier days for you. You are doing so well xx
    • Gers
    • By Gers 13th Jan 19, 4:11 PM
    • 7,164 Posts
    • 48,701 Thanks
    Gers
    Despite what I said earlier I had to go out! The other day I bought ingredients for my lunch thinking I had a pot of sour cream in the fridge which would be a good enough substitute for creme fraiche - and I didn't. Blooming nuisance, so I braved the weather and got the creme fraiche and saved the rest of the ingredients. Lunch was delicious (cauliflower cheese) matched with lovely pork belly.

My printer wouldn't update and so wouldn't print so I've moved it over to the other router, the update whizzed through in two minutes so that's working again. I ventured into the small barn and brought out a load of 'stuff' which will go the CS this week. I can't keep things which are unwanted just because someone gave them to me. A gifted box on unwanted shortbread was taken to work last week which will be soon eaten up. I'm a bit particular about shortbread and this was the hard fingers type and not the very short crumbly ones with delicous flavour.
    • dp1
    • By dp1 13th Jan 19, 7:38 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 3,234 Thanks
    dp1
    Hi everyone
    I've had a lovely day visiting DD and baby at the hospital. DD had her out for a cuddle and she was very wriggly! She has had the canullas - not sure of spelling! - taken out of her arms and just has her feeding tube and oxygen mask now. The doctors are really pleased with her and may try her without the mask tomorrow, with little 'prongs' up her nose to help with breathing instead. DD changed her nappy while I was there....her little legs look like they could snap but she managed no problem. I'm a besotted granny!
    DDs wound is healing up now with the antibiotics but is still quite sore.
    Can't remember if I wrote on Friday but my mam loved meeting her new great grand daughter - she has 5 'greats' now.
    Hope everyone has had a good weekend.....I'm looking forward to Call the Midwife tonight
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 13th Jan 19, 7:47 PM
    • 554 Posts
    • 7,749 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    dp1, pleased you've had a lovely day with your granddaughter, of course you're a besotted granny!!
    Hope your daughter soon feels better, and the baby continues to do well
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,246Posts Today

6,966Users online

Martin's Twitter