Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tibawo
    • By tibawo 1st Jan 19, 10:27 PM
    • 1,106Posts
    • 9,869Thanks
    tibawo
    I need some new knickers!
    • 1st Jan 19, 10:27 PM
    I need some new knickers! 1st Jan 19 at 10:27 PM
    I do actually need some new knickers but money has been that tight that I really have been having to decide between food and undies.Sorry if this is a bit blunt to some of you but I really need a wake up call and stop living day to day. It's not just my finances that need an overhaul but my whole approach to life.

I'm hoping that this thread does not dissolve into one if those new year gym resolutions that after 2 weeks it just disappears. Some of you may not agree with some of my approaches to things but I am hoping that some things I do might help others.

I think step one is to collate some goals to aim for by Easter. I have a rough idea of my debts and some payment plans are in place but I want this to be a thread not just about money as I think if you are not careful it can just take over and make you even more depressed.
    After years of debt and living on the breadline feeling nothing but negative about myself, I am finally feeling that 2019 might be the year I actually get positive about it!
Page 1
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st Jan 19, 11:01 PM
    • 59,889 Posts
    • 251,022 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 1st Jan 19, 11:01 PM
    • 1st Jan 19, 11:01 PM
    Happy shiny new diary
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 1st Jan 19, 11:06 PM
    • 9,817 Posts
    • 15,102 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 1st Jan 19, 11:06 PM
    • 1st Jan 19, 11:06 PM
    I buy new socks and underwear every March using a bit of my annual bonus. Current underwear is good but socks are getting a bit see through at the heel.

Made the mistake of buying some from eBay, buy cheap, buy twice.

Hope yours can hang in a bit longer!
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • tibawo
    • By tibawo 2nd Jan 19, 11:42 AM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 9,869 Thanks
    tibawo
    • 2nd Jan 19, 11:42 AM
    • 2nd Jan 19, 11:42 AM
    So not exactly the best start to my new plan as there is a problem with the car which may cost up to 160 ,to fix, this with the fact the fridge freezer died before Xmas makes me wonder what the New Year has in store for me. Determined today not to put my head in the sand.
    After years of debt and living on the breadline feeling nothing but negative about myself, I am finally feeling that 2019 might be the year I actually get positive about it!
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 2nd Jan 19, 12:05 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • 2nd Jan 19, 12:05 PM
    • 2nd Jan 19, 12:05 PM
    With a title like that, I've just had to subscribe

I know the feeling well - I'm trying to get my whole life in gear too (and probably need some new knickers too, come to think!)
    Debt at November 2017: 8,619 Debt at December 2018: 4,161 Aim for December 2019: 0
    Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2019 #04 - 316.03 / 4,161
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 2nd Jan 19, 2:46 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 1,185 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    • 2nd Jan 19, 2:46 PM
    • 2nd Jan 19, 2:46 PM
    Your title made me laugh as I've just sorted out my underwear. Long gone are the days of beautiful expensive lacey matching sets. they've been replaced with practical and functional cotton beauts from m&s. I've had to bin quite a few pairs because there's no way I'd want to been seen in them if I was ever run over!

Sorry to hear your car woes, hopefully won't be as expensive as you think.

Good luck for 2019
    Always counting down to pay day, but making baby steps getting life on track! Looking forward to cracking the debt once and for all.
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • tibawo
    • By tibawo 3rd Jan 19, 11:29 AM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 9,869 Thanks
    tibawo
    • 3rd Jan 19, 11:29 AM
    • 3rd Jan 19, 11:29 AM
    Sometimes being a single parent sucks... no more so when you have to play both bad and good cop. No wonder my life is all over the show! Today is bad cop day as the kids seem to think the magic fairies tidy, clean. cook, shop and keep the house going. It drives me insane,

I did start collating my goals for step one, this consists so far of a black file split into sections so that I can be more organised. I'm a list person. They focus me.
    Then there's my diary. My friends laugh at me as if something is not in my diary then it does not happen. It is my bible.

You may notice that I have not mentioned the car, that's because they have had to order a part and it will be fitted on Friday. A real bargain at 241, that equates to more than a months grocery shopping. Needless to say them new knickers are indefinitely on hold!
    • choille
    • By choille 3rd Jan 19, 11:37 AM
    • 5,794 Posts
    • 28,932 Thanks
    choille
    • 3rd Jan 19, 11:37 AM
    • 3rd Jan 19, 11:37 AM
    So not exactly the best start to my new plan as there is a problem with the car which may cost up to 160 ,to fix, this with the fact the fridge freezer died before Xmas makes me wonder what the New Year has in store for me. Determined today not to put my head in the sand.
    Originally posted by tibawo
    Did your f/f die or did its drain just need emptying? I ask because I thought ours had gone when I kept finding a puddle on the floor but its drain was blocked. Needs doing every so often as a maintenance thing.

All the best with the year ahead.
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 3rd Jan 19, 11:57 AM
    • 6,655 Posts
    • 25,200 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    • 3rd Jan 19, 11:57 AM
    • 3rd Jan 19, 11:57 AM
    Happy new shiny dairy x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: 5400.00 Lloyds: 9670.00 BC: GONE Cap One: 444.25
    Jan LTW 10/22
    PAYDBX 2019 #041 PD 325.70/5604.30
    Savings for Christmas 50.16/500
    20p Savers 2019 2 Savers 2019 50p Savers 2019 SPC 12 2019 #003
    • Thrice
    • By Thrice 3rd Jan 19, 12:25 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    Thrice
    Happy new diary! I've subscribed x
    SPC010 35.26
    2019 1% = 25. 0% so far
    • tibawo
    • By tibawo 5th Jan 19, 9:24 AM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 9,869 Thanks
    tibawo
    Did your f/f die or did its drain just need emptying? I ask because I thought ours had gone when I kept finding a puddle on the floor but its drain was blocked. Needs doing every so often as a maintenance thing.

All the best with the year ahead.
    Originally posted by choille
    Thanks for trying to help. There was no leakage. I did get it checked before swearing at it and kicking it out!
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 5th Jan 19, 9:33 AM
    • 1,340 Posts
    • 6,528 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Had to smile...my children seem to think those same magic fairies exist in our house .
    paydbx2019 #93 141.93/10,100 .
    School trips 236/1200..
    • tibawo
    • By tibawo 5th Jan 19, 9:40 PM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 9,869 Thanks
    tibawo
    This getting myself sorted is not going well. I now I am keen to keep things light hearted but sometimes I either get in place where I just want to pull the duvet back over my head or the complete opposite where I'm so busy that i don't get things sorted. I wonder if this is my way of delaying things?

Today's excuse was that it is DD2 bday so we always have family round. I did meat in the slow cooker on rolls and then had cake. Normally I go over board on a buffet but worked out I spent about 25% of what I normally do [and there's still enough for dinner tomoz]. Everyone had a full tum and miles less clearing up to do as well. Can't believe I've never done this before - I could have bought not just some knickers but a Michael Kors handbag too!
    • tibawo
    • By tibawo 7th Jan 19, 6:40 PM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 9,869 Thanks
    tibawo
    Back to work today. Which means back to normality and routine. I actually get more things done when it is term time as the girls do some many activities that if I don't keep semi on top of things I have no weekend to potter at the allotment. Allotment is my fresh air and me time. I don't take my phone but now take a torch. This is because the other month i was happily working and had not realised how dark it was getting. The gate is padlocked and under the cover of trees it was pitch black and I was nearly stranded for the night as I could not see the numbers on the key pad!

I have now written on a spreadsheet everything i need to pay out each month, the arrears and the 'ideal' savings buffer etc. I'm going to check other SOAs to make sure I have covered everything.It doesn't look too bad [not as bad as i thought] but it is not healthy neither. what has annoyed me though is i have just had my car renewal quote through from which is 100 more than the exact same cover if I do a new one on go compare with the same company. This is the second year this has happened so I am not impressed.

Really can't decide what to put as my goals for Easter: don't want to make them too hard as i know i'll give up but they do need to be challenging.

Bit of excitement [?] on the fridge front. My friend had a spare 'old' fridge in her shed that she has let me use. It's weird not having a freezer but am so grateful as the things for school dinners etc can be stored.I can also take my time now and find the right one rather than a 'that'll do one!'
    • Thrice
    • By Thrice 10th Jan 19, 11:11 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    Thrice
    Morning tibawo, how are you getting on?

Good news on the fridge front!! I remember when we were younger and got our first flat together, we literally only had a mattress on the floor and a portable TV next to it! We didn't have a fridge or freezer, milk was stored in a carrier bag and hung out the kitchen window to keep it cool, glad we moved in during the winter lol!!

Have you had any more thought on your Easter goals? Are you thinking about targets (like pay off X by then, save Y amount etc), or more home-style goals, like clear out X room or paint the hallway?

x
    SPC010 35.26
    2019 1% = 25. 0% so far
    • tibawo
    • By tibawo 12th Jan 19, 12:36 PM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 9,869 Thanks
    tibawo
    Thanks to everyone who checks in on me even if you just read and go.

My first post today is a moan as I need to get some things off my chest so I can focus on the things i need to do this weekend rather than let it all build up and make my mood even worse. So be warned!

Workwise I am classed as self employed but work under the umbrella of a tutor service. I've always been flexible and do the extra bits that might take an odd five mins or so a week. A new member of the team has just decided to give out roles of lead teachers for tutors without asking and expects us to give up our own time to do this unpaid. This role means at least an extra two hours a week doing something I don't want to. What's even more infuriating is I have just asked to lower my hours to fit in with everything I do outside work as I was struggling time wise. I know i need to address this but i am fuming especially if it now affects my relationship with the boss and get no work. Please bear in mind that some tutors who teach the same students are not expected to do this which is why i am even more annoyed.

Then to stress me out there's homewise. Being a single mum I have to be organised. As I mentioned I have a loving extended family who will help out when they can as long as I give them enough notice and don't take the micky. I am blessed that apart from the normal teenage things my kids are lovely, respectful etc. I've always encouraged them to aim high but am finding it more and more frustrating when the places they do activities at talk about commitment,being inclusive etc and just expect you to say 'how high' when they want you to jump. for e.g. dd club and region both have a match next weekend. I asked when they are making a decision on the team etc as i will need to make arrangemens for lifts as other dd has a planned activity. i put it very politely. I was told on Thursday eve. Unbelievable.
    I've just found on the chat thread that there's quite a lot of irate parents as it is not just no team details but no times neither so you can't plan anything.

off for a shower to see if that will wash away some of my negativity.
    • tibawo
    • By tibawo 13th Jan 19, 6:35 PM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 9,869 Thanks
    tibawo
    A lot better mood today but not been as productive as I anticipated. Mainly because i'd not realised dd had 2 rehearsals and not one. Tightening belt for next two weeks until payday. I can do it!

This weeks plan:
    * make sure all letters to ask about reduced payments are sent
    * to update leccy payment schedule
    * all work accounts info collated
    * update CTC
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

184Posts Today

1,919Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This probably (who knows) makes it both more likely we'll remain in the EU via a 2nd referendum and more likely we'? https://t.co/GrNV48E1jS

• Instant aftermath poll: After a defeat by over 230 votes on a flagship issue (Brexit) should Theresa May resign?

• Wow losing by over 200. That's not defeat it's obliteration. Has there ever been a time before when a PM could lo? https://t.co/i0sVwL9P9P

• Follow Martin