ASDA taking extra £45 for items not delivered

I have started shopping with ASDA to save money but have found that they a strange system of charging you for everything you order, even if they don't have half of it when they deliver it. They didn't have £45 worth of items and charged me anyway and now I have to wait 5-7 working days for a refund.
How is it legal to take money for nothing and then take so long to refund it? The other Supermarkets don't do this unless they have offered you a substitute. They offered me a £5 Asda voucher but that's pretty useless as I have been put off them now. Does anyone else have this trouble?

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,889 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I have started shopping with ASDA to save money but have found that they a strange system of charging you for everything you order, even if they don't have half of it when they deliver it. They didn't have £45 worth of items and charged me anyway and now I have to wait 5-7 working days for a refund.
    How is it legal to take money for nothing and then take so long to refund it? The other Supermarkets don't do this unless they have offered you a substitute. They offered me a £5 Asda voucher but that's pretty useless as I have been put off them now. Does anyone else have this trouble?

never happens to me. It is pending on my credit card and then gets charged once delivery has been made and amount confirmed
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 December 2018 at 6:51PM
    How is it legal to take money for nothing and then take so long to refund it?

It's legal because the system is working in accordance with the Ts&Cs that you agreed to. You did read them? The offer of a £5 voucher is more than generous.

See 3.7 and the sections following that have been misnumbered.
    https://groceries.asda.com/terms_and_conditions

ASDA for several months has had a system whereby instead of charging the correct amount at the time of delivery it charges the checkout price and then refunds later for any over charging. It is also possible to have been undercharged in which case an additional amount will be taken later. (e.g. if products sold by weight are heavier than the estimate used when ordering).

I don't like the system and would like it even less if £45 pounds were involved. In my case it is usually less than £5. However, if you don't like the way ASDA does business you will have to choose another vendor.

Note that ASDA fixes prices at the time of ordering. Some other supermarkets charge the price applicable on the day of delivery which may be higher or lower than that expected. This is in their Ts&Cs which should be read to avoid surprises.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74952915
  • alanq
    Combo Breaker First Post
    sarah1972 wrote: »
    never happens to me. It is pending on my credit card and then gets charged once delivery has been made and amount confirmed

Strange. I wonder if there is a difference between how Credit and Debit cards are treated. (Mine is a Debit card). ASDA's Ts&Cs makes no mention of a distinction.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,889 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    alanq wrote: »
    Strange. I wonder if there is a difference between how Credit and Debit cards are treated. (Mine is a Debit card). ASDA's Ts&Cs makes no mention of a distinction.

I take it all back, It seems to have changed now for me too.

I ordered on Monday for delivery today and this morning I had an email saying my shopping has now been picked with a couple of items unavailable and showing a final total of £44.

My phone then pinged saying £52.81 had been taken from my Amex card which was the original amount.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • alanq
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 December 2018 at 12:55PM
    I have also started to notice sometimes the odd penny differences between the ordered price and the price charged.

Soups 6 for £4. I bought 12 soups which were part of the offer, of different varieties but each priced £1.07, and was charged £8.02.

I'll not be renewing my annual Delivery Pass when it expires next week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure