Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Eesha
    • By MSE Eesha 13th Nov 18, 4:55 PM
    • 114Posts
    • 29Thanks
    MSE Eesha
    Martin Lewis Warning: Energy price comparison savings are WRONG due to the price cap and how...
    • 13th Nov 18, 4:55 PM
    Martin Lewis Warning: Energy price comparison savings are WRONG due to the price cap and how... 13th Nov 18 at 4:55 PM
    This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.
Page 1
    • VT82
    • By VT82 14th Nov 18, 9:16 AM
    • 1,016 Posts
    • 865 Thanks
    VT82
    • 14th Nov 18, 9:16 AM
    • 14th Nov 18, 9:16 AM
    As long as it's only risking the 'your saving versus doing nothing' figure being wrong, not the 'expected amount you'll pay' figure being wrong, it doesn't feel like that big a deal to me?

In terms of the issue around disincentivising people from switching by under-reporting possible savings - I think by the time people are on a comparison website, they are very unlikely to be people staying on an SVR (including the new cap).
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 2nd Dec 18, 12:39 PM
    • 4,079 Posts
    • 1,112 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 2nd Dec 18, 12:39 PM
    • 2nd Dec 18, 12:39 PM
    So ... er ... in a nutshell ... Martin wants energy firms to publish their prices inclusive of the cap because comparison sites are unable to do it. Personally, I think that's reasonable because energy firms must know it in order to charge for it.

I don't agree with the previous post by VT82:
    I think by the time people are on a comparison website, they are very unlikely to be people staying on an SVR (including the new cap).
    Standard variable rates are part of comparisons at this time and if a SVR inclusive of the cap is cheaper than the latest super-duper, ultra-cheap tariff then people are likely to go with the SVR.

I agree with Martin but I think his letters and therefore the article we are commenting on obfuscates an already obfuscated subject.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,252Posts Today

8,519Users online

Martin's Twitter