Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sammyjames
    • By Sammyjames 9th Nov 18, 5:53 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Sammyjames
    Mortgage care cover help!
    • 9th Nov 18, 5:53 PM
    Mortgage care cover help! 9th Nov 18 at 5:53 PM
    Do I really need both Accident/sickness and critical illness cover with my mortgage? Are they not the same thing??
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 9th Nov 18, 6:31 PM
    • 95,801 Posts
    • 63,497 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:31 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:31 PM
    Do I really need both Accident/sickness and critical illness cover with my mortgage?
    They don't overlap. In fact you are missing life assurance and permanent health insurance if you want all the pieces.

Are they not the same thing??
    No. They are very different.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • middleclassbutpoor
    • By middleclassbutpoor 9th Nov 18, 6:51 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 322 Thanks
    middleclassbutpoor
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:51 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 6:51 PM
    Accident & Sickness cover is 'short term' income replacement cover - typically you find that it will provide up to 1-2years of cover should you be unable to work.

Considerations for this should be - what you will be paid through your employment if you are off sick. If you are paid for say 3 months then you can defer the cover by 3 months and it will pay out after that. You are usually limited on the level of cover as a max % of your income.

If you want to protect your income for longer, then you would normally take a Permanent Health Insurance policy (PHI). This will replace your income until you retire normally or a set date. The cover is a max % of your income.

Critical Illness is cover if you suffer a pre-defined illness such as a heart attack. The cover normally pays a lump sum amount. Cover used to be cover many more illnesses so you need to be really clear on what it pays out on. There has been a recent review - https://www.abi.org.uk/products-and-issues/choosing-the-right-insurance/life-cover/critical-illness-insurance/ this may give you more insight to what this cover offers.

You can normally bolt on Critical Illness with Life cover which can be a little more cost effective than having 2 policies.

Whether you 'need' them or not is very much dependent on your circumstances and situation but like any insurance, its kind of a waste of money if you never claim. If you do make a successful claim, you think it will be the best investment you have ever made.

Like any insurance, you need to look beyond price sometimes and consider payout rates and the cover you are getting for your money. This is usually where professional advice does pay.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 9th Nov 18, 10:37 PM
    • 61,036 Posts
    • 54,238 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:37 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 10:37 PM
    Are you self employed.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,501Posts Today

7,309Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MarieBlackett: @MartinSLewis Someone asked me if they could ?tappity tap tap? their card once. Made me giggle! As a retail worker I get?

• RT @NyeBeverage: @MartinSLewis I get "tap it" the most, working in a bar. "Ping it" is more common than you think, and makes me giggle.

• When you want to pay by contactless - what do you call it - I always say "I'll just beep it". What's your phrase?

• Follow Martin