Phased Drawdown Stategy

Options
I'm 62 and in receipt of a DB pension of approx 30kpa.
I also have a DC pot of some 240k.
Presently, I don't need this DC pot money but I'm thinking that as I have approx 13k of basic rate allowance left, it would make sense to drawdown 13k per year and reinvest.
So the plan is to drawdown 13k each year, pay tax at 20% and reinvest into the same funds.
I would take the 25% tax free element at the beginning in case this benefit is removed in the future.
I realise I could choose different funds but I am happy with the current ones and I would be no worse off than if I had left them where they were (apart from buying and selling costs).
My question is - are there downsides to doing this (apart from the fact it is going to take 15+ years!)?

Comments

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    - The money in the DC pension isnt part of your estate when you die. Drawing it down potentially increases IHT.

- Once you get your SP, taking £13K each year would put you into the higher rate tax band. Though you could defer your SP to avoid this.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you married?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • DavidFx
    DavidFx Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    Are you married?

Yes

Linton: Would I be correct in saying that funds that are uncrystallised or in drawdown are treated to same for IHT purposes or I have I misunderstood this.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,134 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    So the plan is to drawdown 13k each year, pay tax at 20% and reinvest into the same funds.
    You will miss out on 20% of any growth in the funds , although it will be a gradual effect.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Albermarle wrote: »
    You will miss out on 20% of any growth in the funds , although it will be a gradual effect.
    No he won't, assuming he invests in an ISA. Multiplication is commutative, and he'll have to pay 20% getting it out whenever as he has a DB scheme using up his PA. So makes no difference to him (though it might to his beneficiary if he dies).
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Linton wrote: »
    - The money in the DC pension isnt part of your estate when you die. Drawing it down potentially increases IHT.

- Once you get your SP, taking £13K each year would put you into the higher rate tax band. Though you could defer your SP to avoid this.
    Only just, assuming a full pension 30k+13k leaves 7k for the state pension based on next year's HRT threshold of £50k. Unless he's Scottish where they have a lower threshold I think.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    I'm 62 and in receipt of a DB pension of approx 30kpa.
    I also have a DC pot of some 240k.
    Presently, I don't need this DC pot money but I'm thinking that as I have approx 13k of basic rate allowance left,

I think the op probably is Scottish resident for tax as the figures don't make sense for someone in the rest of the UK, either this tax year (basic rate threshold £46,350) or next (£50,000).

Or maybe the op has other taxable income they haven't so far mentioned?
  • DavidFx
    DavidFx Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm English.
    Sorry, my mistake in getting the higher rate threshold wrong.
    I haven't paid the higher rate since retiring so I haven't followed the increases -but 50k next year will help.
    I have no other income
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    DavidFx wrote: »
    I'm English.
    Sorry, my mistake in getting the higher rate threshold wrong.
    I haven't paid the higher rate since retiring so I haven't followed the increases -but 50k next year will help.
    I have no other income

If you were at risk of broaching the higher rate threshold by a modest amount when you start drawing State Retirement Pension, just make a suitable pension contribution to avoid it. The pension money can be passed tax-free to your widow if you die before 75. Or it can be left IHT-free to whomever you like. Or even if you draw it yourself you've made a small profit on the round trip.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport