Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 13th Oct 18, 7:22 PM
    • 3,151Posts
    • 1,150Thanks
    trinidadone
    Penalty Charge Notice: NHS Prescriptions - wrongly given, what do I do???
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:22 PM
    Penalty Charge Notice: NHS Prescriptions - wrongly given, what do I do??? 13th Oct 18 at 7:22 PM
    I received a PCN from the NHS Business Services Authority for:

Prescription Charges: 8.80

Penalty Charge: 44.00

Total Due: 52.80

It says on the front page "an automated check has shown that on or between 27th July 10`8 and 31st July 2018 I claimed A FREE NHS prescription.

It said I "submitted a claim named as a valid prescription prepayment certificate"

and I should pay by 6th November 2018.

I never made such a claim so what do i do?
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
Page 1
    • Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 13th Oct 18, 7:24 PM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 1,293 Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:24 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:24 PM
    ask them for the evidence - there should be a prescription in your name with the back ticked to show a prepayment cert exists
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 13th Oct 18, 7:29 PM
    • 3,151 Posts
    • 1,150 Thanks
    trinidadone
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:29 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:29 PM
    ok, I usually pay by card. I have looked on my online statement and on 26th July I can see a payment for a prescription using my credit card. all sounds very strange
    • Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 13th Oct 18, 7:52 PM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 1,293 Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:52 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:52 PM
    Do you think it is possible that the prescription was ticked in the exemption box by mistake? or were there 2 items and you only were charged for one?
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 13th Oct 18, 10:43 PM
    • 3,151 Posts
    • 1,150 Thanks
    trinidadone
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:43 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 10:43 PM
    Do you think it is possible that the prescription was ticked in the exemption box by mistake? or were there 2 items and you only were charged for one?
    Originally posted by Flugelhorn
    Well if the prescription was ticked in the exemption box, it was not by me, as I paid, signed and left. No again, there was only one item, I know this, as I only have one item in my repeat prescription.
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 14th Oct 18, 7:57 AM
    • 2,600 Posts
    • 2,223 Thanks
    donnac2558
    • 14th Oct 18, 7:57 AM
    • 14th Oct 18, 7:57 AM
    You need to contact them.

Happened to me once long ago, said I had not paid for my prescription item when I should have. I was able to prove I had done no such thing. You might need to send a photocopy of your statement showing payment. But phone them first and see what is happening.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 14th Oct 18, 9:30 AM
    • 8,440 Posts
    • 26,611 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 14th Oct 18, 9:30 AM
    • 14th Oct 18, 9:30 AM
    It's no comfort, but this mistake should be harder for pharmacies to make.

That said anything depending on the internet has my abject sympathies.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 14th Oct 18, 1:05 PM
    • 10,750 Posts
    • 9,652 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 14th Oct 18, 1:05 PM
    • 14th Oct 18, 1:05 PM
    OK so you paid and at some time when the prescription was in the hands of the pharmacy someone accidentally or purposefully ticked that box. As a result,they have issued you a penalty.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 14th Oct 18, 2:02 PM
    • 3,151 Posts
    • 1,150 Thanks
    trinidadone
    • 14th Oct 18, 2:02 PM
    • 14th Oct 18, 2:02 PM
    You need to contact them.

Happened to me once long ago, said I had not paid for my prescription item when I should have. I was able to prove I had done no such thing. You might need to send a photocopy of your statement showing payment. But phone them first and see what is happening.
    Originally posted by donnac2558
    Thanks for the advise.
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 14th Oct 18, 2:08 PM
    • 3,151 Posts
    • 1,150 Thanks
    trinidadone
    OK so you paid and at some time when the prescription was in the hands of the pharmacy someone accidentally or purposefully ticked that box. As a result,they have issued you a penalty.
    Originally posted by C_Mababejive
    Well I do not know at this stage if the pharmacy "accidentally or purposefully ticked that box" - but my original question is what to do next!!
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 14th Oct 18, 7:03 PM
    • 9,571 Posts
    • 7,220 Thanks
    pmduk
    Could it be that the item was something like compression stockings that are charged for two items?

Either way, contact them tomorrow. Hopefully, it'll be sorted straight away. Please update us.
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 14th Oct 18, 7:14 PM
    • 3,151 Posts
    • 1,150 Thanks
    trinidadone
    Could it be that the item was something like compression stockings that are charged for two items?

Either way, contact them tomorrow. Hopefully, it'll be sorted straight away. Please update us.
    Originally posted by pmduk
    They were pills not stockings, i will contact tomorrow
    • Starrystarrynight1
    • By Starrystarrynight1 16th Oct 18, 7:11 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    Starrystarrynight1
    I'd put it all in writing, including evidence showing the payment for the prescription and anything else you can think of, and send it in to them. Hopefully they'll see you've done nothing dishonest and cancel the penalty charge notice. Good job you didn't pay in cash, eh!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 21st Oct 18, 8:54 PM
    • 3,151 Posts
    • 1,150 Thanks
    trinidadone
    OK, so i have typed my challenge, and included a copy of my credit card statement
    • circes
    • By circes 11th Nov 18, 8:01 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    circes
    same here!!
    This has just happened to me! I have claimed and paid for the prescription, but as the pharmacy put the prescription into the NHS under the wrong month even though I can prove I paid I've been told it makes no difference unless the pharmacy admits their fault.

Anybody have any idea how long signed prescriptions should be held for by the pharmacist after collection? As that's the only evidence showing the month I collected unless they come good and are honest about their mistake, otherwise I'm branded a fraud and have to pay.
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 11th Nov 18, 8:06 PM
    • 3,151 Posts
    • 1,150 Thanks
    trinidadone
    This has just happened to me! I have claimed and paid for the prescription, but as the pharmacy put the prescription into the NHS under the wrong month even though I can prove I paid I've been told it makes no difference unless the pharmacy admits their fault.

Anybody have any idea how long signed prescriptions should be held for by the pharmacist after collection? As that's the only evidence showing the month I collected unless they come good and are honest about their mistake, otherwise I'm branded a fraud and have to pay.
    Originally posted by circes
    Hello circes, so sorry to hear you have received a PCN. What method of payment did you use to pay for your prescription?
    • circes
    • By circes 11th Nov 18, 9:11 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    circes
    I bought a prepayment card on the date I collected my prescription, I have the receipt to show this which I sent them as the person I spoke to on the phone directed me to, but they then contacted me and said it was dated following month and only way I can have the pcn revoked is for the pharmacy to admit fault. I'm waiting to hear from them.
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 11th Nov 18, 9:16 PM
    • 3,151 Posts
    • 1,150 Thanks
    trinidadone
    I bought a prepayment card on the date I collected my prescription, I have the receipt to show this which I sent them as the person I spoke to on the phone directed me to, but they then contacted me and said it was dated following month and only way I can have the pcn revoked is for the pharmacy to admit fault. I'm waiting to hear from them.
    you bought a prepayment card? so i assume this entitles you to free prescriptions for either three months or 12 months? you would of ticked a box, signed and dated the prescription - right?
    • circes
    • By circes 11th Nov 18, 9:40 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    circes
    The prescription would be signed and dated on the date I paid but i'm not sure how long a pharmacy has to keep them, I've been looking on the internet but not found an answer yet. I'd like to know for sure before I ask them for it.
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 11th Nov 18, 10:40 PM
    • 3,151 Posts
    • 1,150 Thanks
    trinidadone
    The prescription would be signed and dated on the date I paid but i'm not sure how long a pharmacy has to keep them, I've been looking on the internet but not found an answer yet. I'd like to know for sure before I ask them for it.
    This is somewhat puzzling, so you signed and dated the prescription during the same time you were entitled to free prescriptions - so something does not sound right???
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,766Posts Today

6,380Users online

Martin's Twitter