Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FrugalShaz
    • By FrugalShaz 13th Oct 18, 6:58 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 8Thanks
    FrugalShaz
    Surviving Christmas without Breaking the Bank!
    • 13th Oct 18, 6:58 PM
    Surviving Christmas without Breaking the Bank! 13th Oct 18 at 6:58 PM
    Hope I've posted in the right place....

Im looking for ideas

Would like some ideas from you lovely lot that would be considered thoughtful but not breaking the bank! I have a budget but I am struggling for ideas for christmas presents with a £10 budget each for my nieces and nephews....I have 10 all teenage age....any ideas would be much appreciated!! I would rather give them something rather than money!
Page 1
    • sheepy21
    • By sheepy21 13th Oct 18, 7:24 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    sheepy21
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:24 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:24 PM
    Short of a gift card I can’t think what you can get a teenager for £10 that won’t be something they just chuck out
    • Goldensnitch
    • By Goldensnitch 13th Oct 18, 7:44 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Goldensnitch
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:44 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:44 PM
    It can be done
    Try and get some ideas what they are into
    Hair products go down well with my nephews
    Niece likes Harry Potter got bracelet for under £1 on amazon
    Get creative with the packaging or
    Could you buy the family one present like a family board game and tub of sweets
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 13th Oct 18, 7:50 PM
    • 1,886 Posts
    • 66,424 Thanks
    D_M_E
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:50 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 7:50 PM
    Make it a challenge - ask each one to make up a list of say 5 or 10 items that he or she would like and stipulate that each item has a maximum cost of £10, then buy one item from the list.

Shows you give them a bit of choice and shows that the event is not about spending money.

Did this for a few years when times were not so good and some of them have carried it forwards with their own birthdays and christmas purchases.
    • buythedip
    • By buythedip 13th Oct 18, 8:29 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    buythedip
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:29 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:29 PM
    A tenner in a card is tidy as a teenager if thatís your budget! Simples!
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 13th Oct 18, 8:38 PM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 6,068 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:38 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 8:38 PM
    Our littlies get a gift but our older kids definitely prefer money or a voucher. Bear in mind that firms are going under all over the place so if a voucher make sure itís a safe(ish) firm.
    • venison
    • By venison 13th Oct 18, 9:42 PM
    • 2,431 Posts
    • 2,714 Thanks
    venison
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:42 PM
    • 13th Oct 18, 9:42 PM
    Toiletries from Avon? You would get some decent stuff for a tenner.
    Former Board Guide
    • -taff
    • By -taff 14th Oct 18, 8:47 AM
    • 8,477 Posts
    • 7,068 Thanks
    -taff
    • 14th Oct 18, 8:47 AM
    • 14th Oct 18, 8:47 AM
    Tenner in a card. They can get what they like then.
    • poppy10
    • By poppy10 14th Oct 18, 10:28 AM
    • 6,011 Posts
    • 7,263 Thanks
    poppy10
    • 14th Oct 18, 10:28 AM
    • 14th Oct 18, 10:28 AM
    Just give them the cash. Anything you buy them for that amount won't be something they have any interest in
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 14th Oct 18, 10:46 AM
    • 5,282 Posts
    • 5,395 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    Teenagers would much prefer the tenner in a card, rather than something they don't want. And they much prefer Boots No7 than Avon, which they regard as what Granny uses.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
    • Debtnomoreplease
    • By Debtnomoreplease 14th Oct 18, 10:56 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    Debtnomoreplease
    Could you not put all the money together and take them Ice-Skating or somewhere as a Christmas treat that won't break the bank? Do any of them have hobbies etc? For example if one liked art, you could make a cute little hamper full of art things from cheap shops. Or if they are into makeup, get a little basket and put some nail varnish, bits of make etc that's cheap and cellophane it all up to look nice.
    Or a nice piece of jewerlly from Warren James or someone in expensive and put in a nice gift box.
    Perfume offers are on at the moment, savers has Ted Baker for £10-really nice too.
    Boys, smelly sets are under £5 etc.
    Or if you are really struggling for ideas, maybe just put the £10 in a Christmas card then they can get what they want.

Hope you get something sorted
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 14th Oct 18, 11:07 AM
    • 10,044 Posts
    • 124,853 Thanks
    kazwookie
    £10 in a card, job done, no stress
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on!
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 14th Oct 18, 11:34 AM
    • 743 Posts
    • 905 Thanks
    Mnd
    Yes, Go for the cash option
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 14th Oct 18, 12:15 PM
    • 2,143 Posts
    • 7,389 Thanks
    Ilona
    Save yourself all the stress and bother of buying them tat which they won't want, stick a tenner in a card, job done.

ilona
    I love skip diving.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Oct 18, 12:26 PM
    • 64,597 Posts
    • 379,241 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Just give them a £10 note. It costs more money to go out and try to buy a gift, plus the cost of wrapping paper!

You'd be spending time and money to choose something most of them would simply put to one side and think "why'd she think I wanted that?". A £10 note is just the job.

Although .... do you have to give them anything? It wasn't a thing in my family to do that. At Xmas, the best we got from aunts/uncles was a pair of tights from the market, or small selection box of chocolate assortments.
    • armouredbeast
    • By armouredbeast 14th Oct 18, 12:52 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    armouredbeast
    No christmas for me this year with £6779.00 debt

I agree with the answers above. Don't stress yourself out.
    Last edited by armouredbeast; 14-10-2018 at 12:55 PM.
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 14th Oct 18, 2:25 PM
    • 1,305 Posts
    • 2,973 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    Teenagers would much prefer the tenner in a card, rather than something they don't want. And they much prefer Boots No7 than Avon, which they regard as what Granny uses.
    Originally posted by poppasmurf_bewdley

I think granny is as likely to use No 7 as Avon to be honest. Don't they like stuff like Benefit?
    • GaleSF63
    • By GaleSF63 14th Oct 18, 10:38 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    GaleSF63
    Toiletries from Avon? You would get some decent stuff for a tenner.
    Originally posted by venison
    Originally posted by poppasmurf_bewdley
    I think granny is as likely to use No 7 as Avon to be honest. Don't they like stuff like Benefit?
    Originally posted by humptydumptybits
    Three more reasons to give them the money - i.e. who knows what they prefer!
    • tealady
    • By tealady 15th Oct 18, 5:09 AM
    • 2,858 Posts
    • 3,504 Thanks
    tealady
    Another vote for the cash.
    Also you can encourage them to be money saving by including a note about this site.
    I am sure that many teens will either be saving for driving lessons or the latest must have gadget.
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
    • tlc678910
    • By tlc678910 15th Oct 18, 8:21 AM
    • 704 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    tlc678910
    Hi,
    You could do a (slightly over budget) £10 cinema voucher each with popcorn or sweets or even a supermarket pick and mix cup. If you have a local ice skating or roller venue you could get a voucher for there instead.

For younger teenage girls a toiletries selection with fruity shower gel, lip balm, face masks and hair products would usually go down well. Just supermarket/ chemists products from £1 each.

For younger teenage boys perhaps a novelty t-shirt with their interest (if affordable) and chocolate.

If you can get photos together (e.g. off Facebook) and an offer code you may be able to make a little photo book or photo calendar in budget.

Tlc
    Last edited by tlc678910; 15-10-2018 at 8:24 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,050Posts Today

8,160Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Agreed but by marketing it as cough specific people think there's something extra so they buy this rather than gene? https://t.co/hATY3W8Yia

• Good news for those aggressively criticising this poll and trying to pull it apart. I've just got off a 3 way call? https://t.co/Pu750aktyg

• a) I dont believe it is misleading b) I don't believe my poll is badly worded, and certainly don't know it is. If? https://t.co/0DduzIaHBk

• Follow Martin