Loan via split personal guarantee help

Options
Hi all
Need some advice. My company got a large loan for a kit out a few of our shops from shawbrooks bank, sadly the business failed shortly after, mainly due to a falling out of the partners (one guy stealing tools other guy pinching from the tills). The 6 directors had personal guarantees with the loan joint and several. As the company closed and sold, the loan was called in.

I explained why the company failed and made an agreement with the senior non performing loans manager, who seemed like a reasonable chap, that they will get the share of each individual guarantors to their maximum ability ie court and going after equity before they go to anyone who has paid their share (have this on recording and email).
So I have paid my share, think most of us have although were not on talking terms. Then a week later I recieve a letter from 'debt recoveries' saying that the loan has been called in so I need to pay the balance of the loan? Clearly they couldn't have taken whoever hasn't paid to court etc in that time.

Do I ignore the letter? Or phone them and tell them my agreement with the non performing loans manager?
I tried calling the manager several times since but they haven't answered

Many thanks
Dave

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can try telling them about the agreement, but unless it's been put in writing as a formal arrangement or chance to the contract, it's unlikely to carry any weight.

Don't ignore it.
  • dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    Options
    As a guarantor you (and the others on the agreement) are 100% liable for the debt im afraid.
  • Daveofspade
    Options
    I have been in touch with the other Guarantors it seems I'm the only one who received the letter to pay the balance.
    Is this normal for them to single out one person for the whole lot?
    as I'm the lowest earner and cant afford the balance by a long stretch.

Any place I can get free advice on how to handle this without going bankrupt and losing my home?
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    It depends - if they think you will pay then they will chase you.
    As another member has said - you are all liable on a joint and several basis - there is no such thing as 'my share'.
  • Gaz83
    Gaz83 Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There's no such thing as your 'share' in a joint and several liability loan.

If you've paid something, and the others haven't, they'll go after you as they'll reckon you're the one most likely to pay.
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
  • normanna
    normanna Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No such thing as a 'split' personal guarantee. You are all liable to pay the whole debt I'm afraid. Paying 'your share' while morally the right thing to do doesn't affect liability.

Sorry,
  • Daveofspade
    Options
    So now that it’s clear they lied to me which is of no legal significance. What are my options as I can’t afford to pay the remaining balance . Is there anyway out and making them go for the other guarantors? Or do I have to go bankrupt?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They will also go after the other guarantors regardless if they feel they will get anything, so you don't need to do anything there.

Talk to them about what you can offer and a repayment plan. You can go bankrupt if you want, but it may be a little drastic at this stage.
  • roundbox
    roundbox Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Did you take legal advice before signing the personal guarantee?

Approximately, how much was the loan for?
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    roundbox wrote: »
    Did you take legal advice before signing the personal guarantee?

Approximately, how much was the loan for?

The OP hasn't been back for 14 days. He's long gone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure