Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 12th Oct 18, 9:35 AM
    • 418Posts
    • 149Thanks
    MSE Callum
    0 WOW
    Hundreds of free water fountains to be installed in London - MSE News
    • 12th Oct 18, 9:35 AM
    0 WOW
    Hundreds of free water fountains to be installed in London - MSE News 12th Oct 18 at 9:35 AM
    A £5 million fund has been launched to help deliver hundreds of public water fountains across London from 2019...
    Read the full story:
    'Hundreds of free water fountains to be installed in London'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 12th Oct 18, 10:00 AM
    • 5,252 Posts
    • 6,648 Thanks
    A. Badger
    • 12th Oct 18, 10:00 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 10:00 AM
    Has anyone even considered the public health angle? Or does virtual signalling once again triumph over common sense?
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Oct 18, 11:54 AM
    • 27,000 Posts
    • 57,502 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:54 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:54 AM
    Has anyone even considered the public health angle? Or does virtual signalling once again triumph over common sense?
    Originally posted by A. Badger
    It would stun me if the Faculty of Public Health and PHE were not fully behind this. We've come a long way since 1854.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • parcival
    • By parcival 12th Oct 18, 11:55 AM
    • 483 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    parcival
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:55 AM
    • 12th Oct 18, 11:55 AM
    Nothing to be negative about - it's a great idea and I will deffo use them.......
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 12th Oct 18, 2:23 PM
    • 3,986 Posts
    • 2,530 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 12th Oct 18, 2:23 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 2:23 PM
    When I was a kid, there were plenty of water fountains about - in public parks, school playgrounds and even in some streets.

Who took them all away just so someone could make political capital by putting them back again and making us all pay for something we once had.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
    • elsien
    • By elsien 12th Oct 18, 2:27 PM
    • 17,764 Posts
    • 45,077 Thanks
    elsien
    • 12th Oct 18, 2:27 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 2:27 PM
    If they're like the ones in the airports they'll be not signposted to and hidden away in an obscure corner so no-one can find them. And too small to easily fit a bottle underneath.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 12th Oct 18, 2:35 PM
    • 3,664 Posts
    • 6,276 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 12th Oct 18, 2:35 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 2:35 PM
    .......and there I was thinking councils were hard up, clearly they are not if they can spend money subsiding the few who want drinking water available on a street corner.

If you don't find joy in the snow,
    remember you'll have less joy in your life

...but still have the same amount of snow!
    • parcival
    • By parcival 12th Oct 18, 2:40 PM
    • 483 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    parcival
    • 12th Oct 18, 2:40 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 2:40 PM
    What a bunch of miseries on here.

How can this not be good news.
    Probably very good for tourists - making London a more attractive place to be. Also less plastic bottles thrown away - or is this not good news.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 12th Oct 18, 4:06 PM
    • 5,252 Posts
    • 6,648 Thanks
    A. Badger
    • 12th Oct 18, 4:06 PM
    • 12th Oct 18, 4:06 PM
    It would stun me if the Faculty of Public Health and PHE were not fully behind this. We've come a long way since 1854.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Yes, and with the number and spread of communicable diseases facilitated by the speed of modern transport we will pretty soon be back there.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 12th Oct 18, 6:45 PM
    • 8,478 Posts
    • 6,226 Thanks
    esuhl
    If anyone's looking for free water, this website lists businesses that will happily refill your water bottle:

https://refill.org.uk/

You can download an app, and tell it when you refill to donate 13p to the scheme. Or you can just use the website. Or just look for the blue sticker on the door of participating businesses.

It's a great idea.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Oct 18, 10:12 AM
    • 65,248 Posts
    • 382,920 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    This is an utter waste of money - it'll create something hardly anybody ever uses, but many abuse (peeing in them while walking home drunk at night) ... they'll become vandalised. There'll be ongoing costs of maintenance and, finally, the bill to remove them.

If you want people to have access to free water it's better to encourage local businesses to provide it - they get free PR and footfall, everybody wins, at no cost to taxpayers.

Who are these for? Is this some middle-class "plastic is bad, re-use water bottles" game? It's a drop in the ocean, to throw in a pun ....

Utterly pointless and a waste of time/money.

Whoever thought this up - and whoever supported them - needs their heads knocking together.
    • bodacious
    • By bodacious 13th Oct 18, 10:46 AM
    • 405 Posts
    • 875 Thanks
    bodacious
    Whoever thought this up - and whoever supported them - needs their heads knocking together.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Sadiq Khan the (useless) Mayor of London. Need we say more.

Never mind the horrific, and vastly increased knife, acid, moped (and other) crimes on the streets of London, he's far more interested in giving out free water.

Well I suppose there will be free water to pour over the next acid victim or to give a drink to the next lad dying of stab wounds <shakes head in despair>
    • VoucherMan
    • By VoucherMan 13th Oct 18, 11:56 AM
    • 2,534 Posts
    • 5,018 Thanks
    VoucherMan

Thames Water will take care of installation, maintenance, cleaning and repairs to ensure the fountains are clean and safe to use for all Londoners.
    I think that's a yes.

Not related to DiggerUK are you? Another user that comes up with conspirational and nonsensical ideas.

I'm just happy to see that Thames Water customers will (hopefully) be paying for it's upkeep and the rest of us won't have to share the burden.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 13th Oct 18, 1:35 PM
    • 5,252 Posts
    • 6,648 Thanks
    A. Badger
    I think that's a yes.

Not related to DiggerUK are you? Another user that comes up with conspirational and nonsensical ideas.

Originally posted by VoucherMan
    'Conspirational and nonsensical ideas' eh?

It's a shame you couldn't find anything more convincing than the thought that Thames Water is going to looking after public safety.

'Thames Water fined £20,300,000 for pouring 1,400,000,000 litres of raw sewage into Thames'

https://metro.co.uk/2017/03/22/thames-water-fined-20300000-for-pouring-1400000000-litres-of-raw-sewage-into-thames-6525995/?ito=cbshare

Given London's track record of terrorist attacks and the likelihood of something refreshingly different like ebola making its grand entrance to the UK via the capital, I'll gladly encourage you to make full and frequent use of these fountains.
    • VoucherMan
    • By VoucherMan 13th Oct 18, 4:12 PM
    • 2,534 Posts
    • 5,018 Thanks
    VoucherMan
    It's a shame you couldn't find anything more convincing than the thought that Thames Water is going to looking after public safety.

'Thames Water fined £20,300,000 for pouring 1,400,000,000 litres of raw sewage into Thames'
    Blimey, I'd always thought London was one of the more 'advanced' areas of the country. Do they still drink water direct from the river in those parts?

Up here in the sticks we have fancy treatment works that remove all the 'nasties' from the water before it gets to our taps.
    (cue Digger Badger pulling up headlines showing incidents that have allowed bacteria/parasites to be found in said treatment works).

Given London's track record of terrorist attacks and the likelihood of something refreshingly different like ebola making its grand entrance to the UK via the capital, I'll gladly encourage you to make full and frequent use of these fountains.
    I haven't been to London for years, and with your revelation that they drink untreated water, I'm not sure that I want to go again.
    I assume that's what you're suggesting as I can see no other relevance to the link. You do know that a lot of companies allow untreated sewage into rivers don't you? It's not right, but it happens. At least London is getting a new sewerage system that will hopefully help prevent future incidents.

Like others who have posted on here mention, water fountains are not a new concept. I remember using them a lot in the past. Don't remember where, probably school, but I'm sure they were elsewhere too. Amazingly I lived to tell the tale, and never picked up any infections that I'm aware of either. Certainly nothing serious.

I'm not saying I think it's a good idea. I think encouraging, and maybe even compensating more existing businesses would be enough on its own, but I'm sure there are good reasons.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 15th Oct 18, 8:27 PM
    • 3,692 Posts
    • 2,377 Thanks
    glider3560
    "Water Fountain" is probably the wrong term.

These things will be like the type Network Rail are installing, and have been installed in Bristol for a number of years. They are basically just a tap, which is covered slightly to protect it from the elements.

I regularly use the Network Rail ones when I'm out and about in London (don't live there, but work there). They're very useful, money saving and much better for the environment (no road transport, no single use plastic bottles).

Some of them have counters on showing how much water they've dispensed. You'd be amazed how popular they are. I recently chatted with a homeless lady at Waterloo station who said the tap/fountain in a store there was basically a lifeline for her, since it saved so much money compared to buying bottled water.

• NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 16th Oct 18, 11:02 AM
    • 1,409 Posts
    • 3,442 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Nothing to be negative about - it's a great idea and I will deffo use them.......
    Originally posted by parcival
    Me too, can't quite understand why there's opposition to them.

The price of £5 million is around 60p per Londoner, around the same price as a 500ml bottle of water, basically if they only make use of this facility once they've made their money back.

Tainting the water with something nasty would necessitate polluting the mains water supply, not an industry I'm familiar with but I'm sure there are safeguards in place to prevent exactly that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,255Posts Today

7,670Users online

Martin's Twitter