Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackCork
    • By JackCork 11th Oct 18, 9:19 PM
    • 61Posts
    • 24Thanks
    JackCork
    Which are your top 3 favourite places?
    • 11th Oct 18, 9:19 PM
    Which are your top 3 favourite places? 11th Oct 18 at 9:19 PM
    Off the top of my head
    Worldwide

New York
    Madrid
    Manchester
Page 2
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 13th Oct 18, 11:34 AM
    • 13,218 Posts
    • 24,584 Thanks
    Sleazy
    You were way more adventurous than me in your travel
    Originally posted by colinw
    Was in my younger days (between marriages).

You've been places I wanted but haven't ... Australia ... USA ...
    I never got to South America either. In fact, I have never been to the Southern Hemisphere ....
    (P)earl Of The Alphabetty
    Nabob Of None
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 13th Oct 18, 1:51 PM
    • 25,297 Posts
    • 102,157 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Dartmoor.

Never been anywhere I've liked better. Rain (there's lots of it), wind, snow, sun. Perfect. On horseback or at the top of a tor is the best of all.

Next is on a boat heading out of Plymouth Sound. Different, but on a par for happiness with standing on the top of Ditchling Beacon in winter at midnight whilst it was blowing a hooley.

3rd qualifies as favourite due to the atmosphere. Notre Dame cathedral in late summer, just at sunset when it was dark inside and the choir started practice. It was cool, dark, quiet and I listened to their polyphonic singing gradually begin to swirl around the building and start to carry upwards as the last rays of sun lit up the windows. I'm not religious, but the combination of the music and the acoustics of the place, designed specifically to carry voices upwards, made this sometime-sound engineer and full time geek extremely happy.

Places I'm interested in visiting

Norway
    Sweden
    Denmark
    Germany

No interest in places that are full of people, have no wildlife, are massively hot/sunny or full of drunken holidaymakers. I prefer animals to most people, turn into a pile of ash if the sun comes out for ten minutes on a damp Wednesday in March and prefer travelling/staying places with a rudimentary appreciation of history and human comfort/civilisation.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    • colinw
    • By colinw 13th Oct 18, 2:21 PM
    • 54,184 Posts
    • 149,887 Thanks
    colinw
    Dartmoor.

Never been anywhere I've liked better. Rain (there's lots of it), wind, snow, sun. Perfect. On horseback or at the top of a tor is the best of all.

Next is on a boat heading out of Plymouth Sound. Different, but on a par for happiness with standing on the top of Ditchling Beacon in winter at midnight whilst it was blowing a hooley.

3rd qualifies as favourite due to the atmosphere. Notre Dame cathedral in late summer, just at sunset when it was dark inside and the choir started practice. It was cool, dark, quiet and I listened to their polyphonic singing gradually begin to swirl around the building and start to carry upwards as the last rays of sun lit up the windows. I'm not religious, but the combination of the music and the acoustics of the place, designed specifically to carry voices upwards, made this sometime-sound engineer and full time geek extremely happy.

Norway
    Sweden
    Denmark
    Germany

No interest in places that are full of people, have no wildlife, are massively hot/sunny or full of drunken holidaymakers. I prefer animals to most people, turn into a pile of ash if the sun comes out for ten minutes on a damp Wednesday in March and prefer travelling/staying places with a rudimentary appreciation of history and human comfort/civilisation.
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted
    I am with you there, I much prefer nature and animals to concrete and people
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 13th Oct 18, 6:12 PM
    • 13,218 Posts
    • 24,584 Thanks
    Sleazy
    The above posts reminded me - a couple of years ago I took the 12 day 'Norwegian Coastal Voyage' on an old ship (MS Lofoten) when I got medically retired. I kept telling them that I wasn't that ill, but they wouldn't listen and pensioned me off anyway ..... anyway, during the trip I went Dog Sledding, saw The Northern Lights, and some Orcas when we went whale watching (afternoon, but dark as we were well into the Arctic).

On my own as wife was working, but probably the best single trip that I've done. Got business class flights with BA to Bergen as well in a sale ...

That's the ship - no stabilisers and for a couple of days in The Arctic, we were in a Hurricane Force 5. Had to stay inside, water still came in, and they brought food to the cabins as everything in the restaurant kept flying everywhere. I admit to being scared ...
    Last edited by Sleazy; 13-10-2018 at 6:24 PM. Reason: Picture of ship
    Nabob Of None
    • mark1959
    • By mark1959 13th Oct 18, 7:23 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 378 Thanks
    mark1959
    Sydney, Valencia and Llandudno.
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 13th Oct 18, 7:29 PM
    • 13,218 Posts
    • 24,584 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Sydney, Valencia and Llandudno.
    Originally posted by mark1959
    Of those three, only been to Llandudno Junction Railway Station!
    Nabob Of None
    • dirty_magic
    • By dirty_magic 13th Oct 18, 9:11 PM
    • 1,087 Posts
    • 1,870 Thanks
    dirty_magic
    I couldn't pick three from so many places I love for different reasons.

I love Iceland for the dramatic scenery that's so different from anywhere in the UK.

I love Italy for the charming rustic villages and laid back culture, not to mention the popularity of cute dogs.

I love California for having nearly all of the best things that nature has to offer in one state.

I love Budapest because it's two different places depending on which side of the river you're on.

I love Switzerland because the scenery is more beautiful than anywhere else I've been. Switzerland just about beats Norway for me.

I suppose that's my top 5 for now!
    • colinw
    • By colinw 13th Oct 18, 10:27 PM
    • 54,184 Posts
    • 149,887 Thanks
    colinw
    Dudley?!!! It's got some nice old council buildings and a zoo but I'm not sure what else there is to like.
    Originally posted by Organza_Lace
    I believe I might have been being sarky with that one but I am sure it does have things going for it!
    • colinw
    • By colinw 13th Oct 18, 10:28 PM
    • 54,184 Posts
    • 149,887 Thanks
    colinw
    The above posts reminded me - a couple of years ago I took the 12 day 'Norwegian Coastal Voyage' on an old ship (MS Lofoten) when I got medically retired. I kept telling them that I wasn't that ill, but they wouldn't listen and pensioned me off anyway ..... anyway, during the trip I went Dog Sledding, saw The Northern Lights, and some Orcas when we went whale watching (afternoon, but dark as we were well into the Arctic).

On my own as wife was working, but probably the best single trip that I've done. Got business class flights with BA to Bergen as well in a sale ...

That's the ship - no stabilisers and for a couple of days in The Arctic, we were in a Hurricane Force 5. Had to stay inside, water still came in, and they brought food to the cabins as everything in the restaurant kept flying everywhere. I admit to being scared ...
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    That sounds good I would love to see the Northern Lights
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 14th Oct 18, 6:47 AM
    • 13,218 Posts
    • 24,584 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Dudley?!!! It's got some nice old council buildings and a zoo but I'm not sure what else there is to like.
    I believe I might have been being sarky with that one but I am sure it does have things going for it!
    Well, yow gets a black coontray accent fer starters mon!
    And it's prenownced 'Doodlay', speakin' proper loike.
    Nabob Of None
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 14th Oct 18, 8:26 AM
    • 8,433 Posts
    • 26,596 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    This week?
    There's a cottage in Wales I'm very fond of. In all weathers, and even with gaps between misplaced slates. (Wonderful what you can do with feed sacks & bailer twine.) That said, almost anywhere in the Brecon Beacons. Especially when seen from the back of a horse.

Most libraries.

California. There's a sequoia I want to go see again, though I doubt the ice-cream will taste as amazing as it did when I was five.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 14th Oct 18, 8:32 AM
    • 3,664 Posts
    • 6,276 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    A serious answer would be

Yosemite
    Uluru / Ayres Rock
    Katherine Gorge
    Never been to Yosemite but the other two are fantastic places.

Devils Island
    Istanbul
    Ningaloo reef
    Last edited by martinthebandit; 14-10-2018 at 8:36 AM.

If you don't find joy in the snow,
    remember you'll have less joy in your life

...but still have the same amount of snow!
    • colinw
    • By colinw 14th Oct 18, 2:16 PM
    • 54,184 Posts
    • 149,887 Thanks
    colinw
    Never been to Yosemite but the other two are fantastic places.

Devils Island
    Istanbul
    Ningaloo reef
    Originally posted by martinthebandit
    Did you snorkel Ningaloo? I have only ever seen it from above but what an amazing area it is in, if you can get to Yosemite, do so, it really is an amazing place with the right weather and clear air.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 14th Oct 18, 2:25 PM
    • 1,409 Posts
    • 3,444 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    In all seriousness, the Black County museum is excellent and well worth a visit.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 14th Oct 18, 2:31 PM
    • 3,664 Posts
    • 6,276 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    Did you snorkel Ningaloo? I have only ever seen it from above but what an amazing area it is in, if you can get to Yosemite, do so, it really is an amazing place with the right weather and clear air.

Only snorkelled it, but it made me very tempted to take up scuba diving!

If you don't find joy in the snow,
    remember you'll have less joy in your life

...but still have the same amount of snow!
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 14th Oct 18, 2:36 PM
    • 8,373 Posts
    • 13,042 Thanks
    jackieblack
    The Black Hills area of South Dakota, inc Custer State Park
    Vancouver Island/British Columbia
    Yosemite National Park
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 14th Oct 18, 3:31 PM
    • 1,690 Posts
    • 3,445 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    I really had to think about this!

Venice, outside peak tourist season, just incomparable to anywhere, in my opinion.
    The barrier islands off Florida.
    Japan- The Sagano Bamboo Forest.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 14th Oct 18, 4:10 PM
    • 8,373 Posts
    • 13,042 Thanks
    jackieblack
    I am with you there, I much prefer nature and animals to concrete and people
    Ditto "........
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 14th Oct 18, 5:13 PM
    • 10,831 Posts
    • 24,006 Thanks
    Tarry
    Dartmoor.

Norway
    Sweden
    Denmark
    Germany

Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted
    Quite agree....
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread

-I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 14th Oct 18, 5:14 PM
    • 10,831 Posts
    • 24,006 Thanks
    Tarry

Originally posted by Sleazy
    Sod having no stablishers
    But sounds epic...
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread

-I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,511Posts Today

8,020Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quicky to say, understandably no deals on @GMB tomorrow, as they'll be covering the latest political shenanigans #LieIn

• Listening, on the radio, to Theresa May's speech. I'm always surprised by how good her delivery is when reading on? https://t.co/coydHG3cmd

• RT @andy_travels: @MartinSLewis This country needs more disruption, upheaval and uncertainty like a hole in the head right now.

• Follow Martin