Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Karl
    • By MSE Karl 9th Oct 18, 6:59 PM
    • 98Posts
    • 31Thanks
    MSE Karl
    MSE Poll: Do you eat food past its best-before date?
    • 9th Oct 18, 6:59 PM
    MSE Poll: Do you eat food past its best-before date? 9th Oct 18 at 6:59 PM
    Poll started 9 October 2018
    This week Tesco announced it is removing best-before dates from over 100 fruit and vegetable products in an effort to reduce waste.

So when you find food at home past its best-before date, what do you do?

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
Page 1
    • decbel
    • By decbel 9th Oct 18, 7:01 PM
    • 1,987 Posts
    • 2,198 Thanks
    decbel
    • 9th Oct 18, 7:01 PM
    • 9th Oct 18, 7:01 PM
    I'll eat more or less anything.

Dates don't bother me.

Packet meat could be an exception but not tinned.
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 9th Oct 18, 7:08 PM
    • 10,772 Posts
    • 23,901 Thanks
    Tarry
    • 9th Oct 18, 7:08 PM
    • 9th Oct 18, 7:08 PM
    Fruit and veg never needs it
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread

-I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Oct 18, 7:11 PM
    • 64,664 Posts
    • 379,507 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 9th Oct 18, 7:11 PM
    • 9th Oct 18, 7:11 PM
    Best before means nothing to me except a good chance to grab a reduced price item.

There are many things still good weeks past their best before date.... and I eat them.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 9th Oct 18, 7:35 PM
    • 3,583 Posts
    • 3,888 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 9th Oct 18, 7:35 PM
    • 9th Oct 18, 7:35 PM
    I'm eating protein bars now that had a best before April 2018, nice too.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 9th Oct 18, 7:49 PM
    • 8,655 Posts
    • 9,878 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 9th Oct 18, 7:49 PM
    • 9th Oct 18, 7:49 PM
    This week Tesco announced it is removing best-before dates from over 100 fruit and vegetable products in an effort to reduce waste.
    Originally posted by MSE Karl
    make more money.

The only fresh food I buy is reduced by at least 50% for quick sale. If it wasn't for that I'd be living out of tins.

Actually, I wouldn't because I couldn't afford a tin every day.

Dates don't matter much once it's in the freezer.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • doniblade
    • By doniblade 10th Oct 18, 9:09 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    doniblade
    • 10th Oct 18, 9:09 AM
    • 10th Oct 18, 9:09 AM
    BBE dates are a nonsense.

I have several store cupboard items that are over 5 years past their BBE and I still use them.

I think yoghurt is the best case in point regarding fresh items. These can be used weeks past their BBE.
    • Afourteen
    • By Afourteen 10th Oct 18, 9:52 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Afourteen
    • 10th Oct 18, 9:52 AM
    • 10th Oct 18, 9:52 AM
    I'd much prefer to see 'Packed' or delivery dates displayed. Best before dates are just a money wasting unnecessary item.
    • Paul_DNAP
    • By Paul_DNAP 10th Oct 18, 11:45 AM
    • 289 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    Paul_DNAP
    • 10th Oct 18, 11:45 AM
    • 10th Oct 18, 11:45 AM
    There isn't really an option for "I make sure I use stuff before the dates", but if I do go past the date then it's in the bin, I really don't know how to judge stuff otherwise.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
    • hanny2204
    • By hanny2204 10th Oct 18, 3:08 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hanny2204
    eat anything and everything, unless its obviously off or mouldy!
    • Askalick
    • By Askalick 10th Oct 18, 3:30 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Askalick
    Many people don't seem to comprehend the difference between 'Best Before' dates and 'Use By' dates. They can be paranoid and discard everything because "it is past it's date". I had a previous general manager like this - she over-ruled the kitchen manager. The wastage was terrible, perfectly good, unopened packs of fruit and veg had to be binned at closing time on a Friday. Next delivery on Monday morning would have the same dated items. We learnt to unpack everything and discard the packaging so there was no date to check.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 10th Oct 18, 5:30 PM
    • 8,655 Posts
    • 9,878 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    I'd much prefer to see 'Packed' or delivery dates displayed.
    Originally posted by Afourteen
    Or even better, proper "made on" or "picked on" dates, especially on "fresh" baguettes
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 12th Oct 18, 10:33 PM
    • 2,131 Posts
    • 2,989 Thanks
    badmemory
    The problem with removing the best before dates is that you have absolutely no idea how long it has been on the shelf. With some supermarkets bad stock rotation (yes Tesco I mean you, which is why you are removing the dates) it could already be on what was a best before date. I prefer it to be my choice to use things past their best before date.
    • nettie1xoxo
    • By nettie1xoxo 13th Oct 18, 1:49 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 17,670 Thanks
    nettie1xoxo
    A date of sorts allows me to rotate my food!
    Thank you to all of you that take the time to put the lovely comps on here
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 14th Oct 18, 3:29 AM
    • 2,131 Posts
    • 2,989 Thanks
    badmemory
    A date of sorts allows me to rotate my food!
    Originally posted by nettie1xoxo

Exactly that. Tea a couple of nights ago included a sauce Dec 2017, a few nights before that potatoes dated mid July (we don't eat them often). But it should be my choice if I eat them past their best, not some supermarket giving me no idea how long they have been on the shelf. I have 2 packets of mange tout in my fridge. If I had bought them from Tesco I would have no idea which to eat first.

So thank you Aldi for STARTING to put dates on things, which was my cue to start buying fresh veg etc from you a few months after you opened a store near me, when they first opened they didn't.
    • earlywormgetsthebird
    • By earlywormgetsthebird 14th Oct 18, 6:14 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    earlywormgetsthebird
    Call me a cynic, but this is surely more about squeezing more profits out of people than any genuine concern for waste. I recently bought a pack of oranges from tesco which were within their bbd, and two were mouldy too soon afterwards. the month before, one became mouldy within their BBD. So I brought them back each time: on the day after they became mouldy, on the first occasion, and later the same day, the next - and they were exchanged without any issue. Each packet's BBD showed that they should still have been in excellent condition, just as when they were bought.

When there's no BBD, they can argue even if the oranges were bought two days ago (as they were) that the mould is surely due to a customer "switching" the oranges - after all... 'there's no way that oranges bought only 48 hours ago would go mouldy THAT quickly... NOW would they!??! Alternatively, those of us who are honest shoppers would be less inclined to bring back spoiled fruit and veg, with the fear that we may be judged as potential 'scammers', when we're not!

Given the examples above, I fear will prove this change to be a backwards and unhelpful move for we customers, and a profit boosting one for them, for sure.
    Last edited by earlywormgetsthebird; 14-10-2018 at 6:22 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,693Posts Today

6,921Users online

Martin's Twitter