FTB - Help2Buy Loan Strategy

Options
I am a FTB and have reserved a plot on a new build development.

I am sole the applicant for the mortgage with the 20% government equity loan.
House price: £226,995
5% deposit is: £11,349 - I am increasing this minimum deposit to £33,000.
Total deposit is: £78,399.

Mortgage loan required is: £148,596.
LTV - 65.46%

Initial quotations are approx payments of £480pcm over 35 year mortgage term.
With Brexit looming my intention was to go with a 5 year fixed rate product, so that I know my exact payments during the Government 0% 5 year period, from my own research the above monthly payment is more likely to increase towards £550pcm.

My initial strategy was to either:
1. Overpay the mortgage payment by £200pcm - (£12,000) over the 5 year term.
2. Save the same £200pcm into a Cash ISA over the same term.

I assume that option 1 makes the money work best? In terms of paying off the mortgage loan with interest and then remortgaging at the end of year 5 to take on the 20% government loan debt.

I would really appreciate any comments and advice from people who have considered/or gone through with a Help2Buy equity loan mortgage. I'm happy to provide any further details, in order to receive more specific guidance.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why a 35 year term for the mortgage?
  • jam1991
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Why a 35 year term for the mortgage?

Thank you for your reply, I'm currently 27 years old.

The mortgage advice broker I've dealt with so far have been quoting 35 year term following the intial affordability checks. With my retirement age of 67. Should I be looking to go with a 30 year term instead?
  • goodwithsaving
    Options
    jam1991 wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply, I'm currently 27 years old.

The mortgage advice broker I've dealt with so far have been quoting 35 year term following the intial affordability checks. With my retirement age of 67. Should I be looking to go with a 30 year term instead?

I would go for a longer term mortgage but overpay as if it were a shorter term.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done on saving a good deposit.
    Not so sure about New Build as you have a good deposit and most new builds tend to cost 20/25% more expensive than an older property in the same area of the same size !
    However you are already thinking about what happens at the end of the 5 years when you start paying interest on the HTB loan.
    Buying a new home is always expensive with legal costs, surveys, mortgage fees even if you have No stamp duty to pay.
    Once you get the keys to your new home you then have lots of other costs.
    Broadband and phone line, carpets, curtains, new furniture and alterations you may want to do.
    Building up cash saving ( emergency pot ) while also overpaying every month sounds like a brilliant plan to me.
    Would you consider an offset mortgage ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport