Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kamala
    • By Kamala 14th Sep 18, 9:25 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Kamala
    Being employed & running own business - what is the best setup?
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:25 PM
    Being employed & running own business - what is the best setup? 14th Sep 18 at 9:25 PM
    Hi,

My partner and I set up a website that is slowly starting to bring profit. I would like to register it as a business however I'm not sure what the best solution is. We are both working full-time, paying 40% income tax.

We are thinking of Ltd, but I'm not 100% sure how the tax would work (if we pay ourselves would we have to pay the 40% tax on top of that?). Perhaps it would be better to be self-employed?

I would appreciate any advice, especially from people who are in a similar situation.

Thanks,
    Kamala
Page 1
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 14th Sep 18, 9:43 PM
    • 16,012 Posts
    • 22,836 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:43 PM
    • 14th Sep 18, 9:43 PM
    My partner and I set up a website that is slowly starting to bring profit. I would like to register it as a business however I'm not sure what the best solution is. We are both working full-time, paying 40% income tax.
    Originally posted by Kamala
    You already have a business. You should notify HMRC.
    https://www.gov.uk/set-up-sole-trader

We are thinking of Ltd, but I'm not 100% sure how the tax would work (if we pay ourselves would we have to pay the 40% tax on top of that?). Perhaps it would be better to be self-employed?
    Originally posted by Kamala
    Find yourself an accountant. Your best solution will depend on your circumstances.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 15th Sep 18, 7:30 AM
    • 6,962 Posts
    • 6,649 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 15th Sep 18, 7:30 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 7:30 AM
    You are higher rate taxpayers, therefore any income you receive that has not been taxed through PAYE must be declared as you will obviously owe tax on it. You need to register with HMRC right now, not wait to when you think you may want to.

As for the trading entity, do you actually need the income in cash right now if you are already higher rate taxpayers? That is an often overlooked factor when people ask: Ltd v sole trader...

For a fledging business which is only "slowly starting to bring profit" you may not want the money now in which case, as advised above, you need to talk to an accountant who can explore your total tax exposure and advise on tax efficiencies accordingly: employment income, savings/investment income, pensions and business income
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 15th Sep 18, 9:53 AM
    • 1,018 Posts
    • 829 Thanks
    Apodemus
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:53 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:53 AM
    Accountancy costs can be disproportionate to the scale of the business, so before paying for an accountant, Id have a chat with one of the free governmental business start-up advisory services. (Who this is will vary depending on where you live, but I would be surprised if there is no business start-up support services where you are).
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 15th Sep 18, 4:19 PM
    • 2,803 Posts
    • 4,582 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:19 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 4:19 PM
    You need to register the business sooner rather than later. It costs nothing.

Most accountants will offer a half-hour chat for free (obviously in the hope that you will give them the work) - if you make appointments with 2 or 3, and do a bit of homework so that you know exactly what questions to ask, you will find out very quickly whether you need to actually employ one.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

116Posts Today

1,467Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin