Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littlemoney
    • By littlemoney 11th Sep 18, 2:41 PM
    • 251Posts
    • 158Thanks
    littlemoney
    Washing machine cleaning
    • 11th Sep 18, 2:41 PM
    Washing machine cleaning 11th Sep 18 at 2:41 PM
    I have always dried the inside of my washing machine and the detergent dispenser after use. But despite this there is black in the door seal and when I opened the debris filter there was a greyish/black deposit on the inside of the pipe I could see. I only ever use 40 degree wash and a non biological powder.

What is the best way to clean all the gunge out of my machine please. I have seen products advertised on the TV for this purpose. Do they work or is there a cheaper alternative?

All this has started as I noticed some black deposits/lumps in my drain where the washing machine empties and I am wondering where they came from. As it can only be the machine or my kitchen sink as they are the only pipes going to that drain.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 19-09-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Page 1
    • -taff
    • By -taff 11th Sep 18, 2:56 PM
    • 7,782 Posts
    • 6,196 Thanks
    -taff
    • 11th Sep 18, 2:56 PM
    • 11th Sep 18, 2:56 PM
    A boil wash will do it .Washing at 40 cleans clothes with powder but doesn't fully clean the machine. I live in a hard water area so I put borax [can't remember common name for it, soda crystals?] and powder, then have a good boil wash maybe once a month with light colours and that does it.
    Also, liquids leave no deposits, powders can....depending on temperature washed at...
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 11th Sep 18, 3:05 PM
    • 1,781 Posts
    • 2,729 Thanks
    coffeehound
    • 11th Sep 18, 3:05 PM
    • 11th Sep 18, 3:05 PM
    A boil wash will do it .Washing at 40 cleans clothes with powder but doesn't fully clean the machine. I live in a hard water area so I put borax [can't remember common name for it, soda crystals?]..
    Originally posted by -taff
    How much soda crystals do you use pls?
    • -taff
    • By -taff 11th Sep 18, 3:40 PM
    • 7,782 Posts
    • 6,196 Thanks
    -taff
    • 11th Sep 18, 3:40 PM
    • 11th Sep 18, 3:40 PM
    The same amount as the powder. You can put it in every wash with powder if you want to, it softens the water...
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 11th Sep 18, 3:42 PM
    • 1,781 Posts
    • 2,729 Thanks
    coffeehound
    • 11th Sep 18, 3:42 PM
    • 11th Sep 18, 3:42 PM
    Thanks, so something like 100 grams?
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 11th Sep 18, 5:03 PM
    • 2,812 Posts
    • 4,596 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 11th Sep 18, 5:03 PM
    • 11th Sep 18, 5:03 PM
    I find that if I only ever do a 40 degree (or lower) wash, the machine starts to smell. So I deliberately wash some items at 60 degrees (towels, bedding) or higher (dusters, cleaning cloths). That seems to do the trick. Do you close the door when it's not in use? That could be causing the mould to form - it's better to leave the door open so that air can circulate. I never remember to dry the seal after use (always intend to...), but I don't have a problem with mould.
    • Frugal&Fun
    • By Frugal&Fun 11th Sep 18, 5:27 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Frugal&Fun
    • 11th Sep 18, 5:27 PM
    • 11th Sep 18, 5:27 PM
    I agree with the other posts - a boil wash with soda crystals will certainly help. The only thing I can add is that once a week I wipe all the rubber seals with surgical spirit - it keeps them clean and stops any odours.
    • littlemoney
    • By littlemoney 11th Sep 18, 5:51 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    littlemoney
    • 11th Sep 18, 5:51 PM
    • 11th Sep 18, 5:51 PM
    How hot is a boil wash please or rather what is the coolest temperature I could use to clean effectively but also be economical on heating the water?
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 11th Sep 18, 9:22 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 7,917 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    • 11th Sep 18, 9:22 PM
    • 11th Sep 18, 9:22 PM
    You need to do a regular wash at the hottest temperature available on your machine, say once a month....remove the drawer beforehand and wash unde r the tap. Use a bottle brush to then clean the opening etc to loosen any moulds and other gunk. Empty the filter and clean. Then put on the wash.
    You could add hg appliance cleaner or similar....but in an empty machine.
    And leave the door or at the very least the drawer open..when not in use. This can be an issue with small children around...and avoid fabric softener...seems to be ideal t o grow black mould....

Yes , I really do this, every month as we have a shared laundry in our block and we each take a turn at cleaning.

You can get new seals fitted if really horrible, but once cleaned properly it is mostly staining. I will try the surgical spirit idea, thank you.
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 11th Sep 18, 11:26 PM
    • 375 Posts
    • 423 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    Once a month I do a 'cleaning cycle'. Buy a cheap bottle of vinegar, splash some into each compartment of the drawer, then pour the rest into the drum and put a 60' wash on.

I live in a hard water area and I've never had a problem with mould or gunk or whatever. I use an eggcup full of soda crystals in every wash (for water softening and extra cleaning power) and I always leave the door and drawer open a wee bit though, let it all air dry.

HTH
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 11th Sep 18, 11:33 PM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 3,893 Thanks
    gardner1
    90 degree wash with cup of white vinegar once a month
    • phryne
    • By phryne 12th Sep 18, 11:53 AM
    • 135 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    phryne
    As above, but I use a mug of soda crystals in the drum and happy shopper cheap white vinegar in the conditioner compartment. Then run a 90 degree boil wash.
    • natlie
    • By natlie 12th Sep 18, 12:21 PM
    • 1,151 Posts
    • 4,940 Thanks
    natlie
    A steriliser like Milton (or cheaper Aldi alternative is good)
    rub in onto the balck marks on seals and rawers, run a wash with in in, but make sure you run another wash after of whites, or towles so you dont bleach any colours

Nat
    £27328 £26,728 £26,668
    • Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 15th Sep 18, 10:55 PM
    • 4,200 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    I have an old Vanish container that offered % free, so I can tip a whole pack of soda crystals into it. I add a scoop (using the pink Vanish scoop) of soda crystals to every wash.

I also put soda crystals into homemade washing powder. I mix this with some Aldi bio powder.

I use 40 deg quick wash for most loads, but 60 deg for some loads. Every now and again, I wash tea towels, cleaning cloths and other stuff that can take a hot wash at 95 deg with Aldi bio powder and soda crystals.

I also put a slosh of vinegar in the fabric dispenser drawer for all washes. And I wipe the seals with a dry cloth after use. I clean the drawer too when it needs it, but this is less often now that I don't use fabric conditioner.
    • Freebyman
    • By Freebyman 19th Sep 18, 6:18 AM
    • 575 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Freebyman
    Wife always uses soda crystals and a boil wash to fully clean out the pipes as she would say. Got to admit it does work.
    Old Faithful we roam the range together,
    Old Faithful in any kind of weather,
    When the round up days are over,
    And the Boulevardís white with clover,
    For you old faithful pal of mine.
    • nuclearnick
    • By nuclearnick 19th Sep 18, 9:15 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    nuclearnick
    Cleaning washing machines
    Use white vinegar, only a small amount use about half a small dose ball filled in drum, 60`wash, as for powder drawer , by hand , use bottle brush, even better donít put powder in drawer, straight into drum. And always leave the door open after use, might be inconvenient, but will stop the drum smelling and any mould as well. Alternatively use eco balls , no residue in machine and better for environment.saves water as well.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 19th Sep 18, 9:18 AM
    • 24,653 Posts
    • 64,423 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I just leave both the drawer and the door open slightly.

Very soft water.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • mattpaint
    • By mattpaint 19th Sep 18, 10:16 AM
    • 212 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    mattpaint
    Does your machine have a cleaning setting? Use that once a month. Or put a boil wash on every time you do your towels and that will be enough.
    • Toomuchdebt
    • By Toomuchdebt 19th Sep 18, 10:39 AM
    • 1,845 Posts
    • 3,090 Thanks
    Toomuchdebt
    I always use a 60 deg wash on towels and sheets. My old machine did start to mould eventually though and even the cleaning sachets I bought didn't help. I can't leave the door open as I have cats and they like to climb in and I'm paranoid about a door being shut while a cat is inside. I now have a new machine so will be trying to keep the mould away before it starts.
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34

Debts Feb 2018 £6829.63

EF #70 £0/£1000
    • happyinflorida
    • By happyinflorida 19th Sep 18, 1:41 PM
    • 718 Posts
    • 602 Thanks
    happyinflorida
    I've never heard of soda crystals! Where do you buy them from?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

123Posts Today

2,073Users online

Martin's Twitter