PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Washing machine cleaning

Options
littlemoney
littlemoney Posts: 788 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited 19 September 2018 at 10:12AM in Old style MoneySaving
I have always dried the inside of my washing machine and the detergent dispenser after use. But despite this there is black in the door seal and when I opened the debris filter there was a greyish/black deposit on the inside of the pipe I could see. I only ever use 40 degree wash and a non biological powder.

What is the best way to clean all the gunge out of my machine please. I have seen products advertised on the TV for this purpose. Do they work or is there a cheaper alternative?

All this has started as I noticed some black deposits/lumps in my drain where the washing machine empties and I am wondering where they came from. As it can only be the machine or my kitchen sink as they are the only pipes going to that drain.

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A boil wash will do it .Washing at 40 cleans clothes with powder but doesn't fully clean the machine. I live in a hard water area so I put borax [can't remember common name for it, soda crystals?] and powder, then have a good boil wash maybe once a month with light colours and that does it.
    Also, liquids leave no deposits, powders can....depending on temperature washed at...
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • coffeehound
    Options
    -taff wrote: »
    A boil wash will do it .Washing at 40 cleans clothes with powder but doesn't fully clean the machine. I live in a hard water area so I put borax [can't remember common name for it, soda crystals?]..

How much soda crystals do you use pls?
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The same amount as the powder. You can put it in every wash with powder if you want to, it softens the water...
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • coffeehound
    Options
    Thanks, so something like 100 grams?
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    I find that if I only ever do a 40 degree (or lower) wash, the machine starts to smell. So I deliberately wash some items at 60 degrees (towels, bedding) or higher (dusters, cleaning cloths). That seems to do the trick. Do you close the door when it's not in use? That could be causing the mould to form - it's better to leave the door open so that air can circulate. I never remember to dry the seal after use (always intend to...), but I don't have a problem with mould.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Frugal&Fun
    Options
    I agree with the other posts - a boil wash with soda crystals will certainly help. The only thing I can add is that once a week I wipe all the rubber seals with surgical spirit - it keeps them clean and stops any odours. :)
  • littlemoney
    Options
    How hot is a boil wash please or rather what is the coolest temperature I could use to clean effectively but also be economical on heating the water?
  • TiredTrophy
    Options
    You need to do a regular wash at the hottest temperature available on your machine, say once a month....remove the drawer beforehand and wash unde r the tap. Use a bottle brush to then clean the opening etc to loosen any moulds and other gunk. Empty the filter and clean. Then put on the wash.
    You could add hg appliance cleaner or similar....but in an empty machine.
    And leave the door or at the very least the drawer open..when not in use. This can be an issue with small children around...and avoid fabric softener...seems to be ideal t o grow black mould....

Yes , I really do this, every month as we have a shared laundry in our block and we each take a turn at cleaning.

You can get new seals fitted if really horrible, but once cleaned properly it is mostly staining. I will try the surgical spirit idea, thank you.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    Options
    Once a month I do a 'cleaning cycle'. Buy a cheap bottle of vinegar, splash some into each compartment of the drawer, then pour the rest into the drum and put a 60' wash on.

I live in a hard water area and I've never had a problem with mould or gunk or whatever. I use an eggcup full of soda crystals in every wash (for water softening and extra cleaning power) and I always leave the door and drawer open a wee bit though, let it all air dry.

HTH :)
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Options
    90 degree wash with cup of white vinegar once a month
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business