Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Laura
    • By MSE Laura 4th Sep 18, 2:28 PM
    • 96Posts
    • 83Thanks
    MSE Laura
    MoneySaving Bake Off - how do you save money on ingredients?
    • 4th Sep 18, 2:28 PM
    MoneySaving Bake Off - how do you save money on ingredients? 4th Sep 18 at 2:28 PM
    With the return of The Great British Bake Off last week, many have been bitten by the baking bug again - whether that's making the cakes or just eating them. Yet baking can often become quite expensive once you start looking at all the ingredients you'll need.

Read the full blog: The Great MoneySaving Bake Off: How I made a batch of brownies for £4 that tasted BETTER than my usual £8 version
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 4th Sep 18, 2:35 PM
    • 33,852 Posts
    • 39,983 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 4th Sep 18, 2:35 PM
    • 4th Sep 18, 2:35 PM
    Aldi/Lidl for the basics like flour , eggs , butter . Also good for quality kitchen stuff as a lower price . I believe they both have upcoming kitchen special buys including stand mixers etc

Poundland for basic cooking utensils and cupcake moulds especially things you might only use once . You can often get cocoa powder cheap in pound shops as well
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 4th Sep 18, 2:44 PM
    • 10,039 Posts
    • 46,819 Thanks
    euronorris
    • 4th Sep 18, 2:44 PM
    • 4th Sep 18, 2:44 PM
    Forage! I'm drowning in blackberries in elderberries at the moment. What a wonderful way to go!
    • robin58
    • By robin58 4th Sep 18, 6:09 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,262 Thanks
    robin58
    • 4th Sep 18, 6:09 PM
    • 4th Sep 18, 6:09 PM
    If you have a Topcashback account, they are via thier instore groceries account section, offering money off baking basic items.

20p off icing sugar 500g.
    15p off cake casings, any type.
    15p off Baking chocolate 150g, any type.
    10p off plain flour 500g.
    10p off sponge mix, any flavour.

Cashback available until 11.59pm 12th September. Once only for each item.

Added bonus you can submit a receipt(s) from any retailer, not just the big supermarkets.
    Last edited by robin58; 04-09-2018 at 11:15 PM. Reason: more info added
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 4th Sep 18, 8:19 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 1,285 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • 4th Sep 18, 8:19 PM
    • 4th Sep 18, 8:19 PM
    I agree that supermarket own brand items are absolutely fine for things like flour, baking powder etc. Also own brand stork for baking is fine. I don't bother with real butter unless it's for something you will notice the difference like shortbread.
    One tip I do is that if a recipe calls for hazelnuts they are normally more expensive if they are blanched. So I buy them with the skin on, put them on a baking tray and put them in the oven for about 10 minutes while it is on. Let them cool down and the skins come off really easy. I then put them in a jar. A little extra saves some pennies.
    • catwoman73
    • By catwoman73 5th Sep 18, 5:03 AM
    • 439 Posts
    • 522 Thanks
    catwoman73
    • 5th Sep 18, 5:03 AM
    • 5th Sep 18, 5:03 AM
    I made rocky road for our work cake club and a well off and quite snobby colleague commented how nice they were and you could tell it was really good chocolate.

I took great pleasure in telling her that all the ingredients came from Aldi and the chocolate was the 30 p a bar value version.
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 5th Sep 18, 9:33 AM
    • 181 Posts
    • 1,285 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • 5th Sep 18, 9:33 AM
    • 5th Sep 18, 9:33 AM
    I made rocky road for our work cake club and a well off and quite snobby colleague commented how nice they were and you could tell it was really good chocolate.

I took great pleasure in telling her that all the ingredients came from Aldi and the chocolate was the 30 p a bar value version.
    Originally posted by catwoman73
    I always get the aldi or lidl bars of chocolate for baking. The lidl white chocolate is actually really nice to eat and much cheaper than milkybar.
    My OH works with people like that. When they bring in cakes they always go to m&s and spend a fortune (over 50 people in the office). Next time OH does cakes he wants to buy them all from aldi/lidl to see what they think.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 5th Sep 18, 10:59 AM
    • 10,870 Posts
    • 119,568 Thanks
    LameWolf
    • 5th Sep 18, 10:59 AM
    • 5th Sep 18, 10:59 AM
    Annoyingly, our local @ldi has stopped selling bread flour. It's a shame, because it was way less expensive that Morries or T£scos own, and was really good flour.

They still have ordinary SR and plain flour thankfully, which I also find very good.

I also like @ldi's "Pantry" range dark chocolate for my HM choc mousse (which I have to make this week, request from Mr Wolf) - the recipe also calls for rosemary, which I have by the tonne in the garden.

While I'm here.....
    does anyone know where I can get nuts for cooking inexpensively? I'm a vegetarian, so nuts are a good source of protein for me; and I make nut loaf, which I slice and freeze as a meal "building block".

I always used to buy nuts from Julian Graves, but since H&B took them over and closed them down, nuts are now extremely expensive. I need quite large quantities, and the weeny little packets I see in the supermarkets just don't cut it.

It doesn't matter if they are mixed or single variety, doesn't matter if they are broken as they are wuzzed in the food processor anyway.

I use a mix of Brazils, walnuts, hazelnuts, cashews, almonds or any combination of the above; exact proportions don't matter, and not all the varieties necessarily need to be present.

One nut loaf, which cuts into eight slices, (ie four meals for Mr Wolf and myself) uses 13 oz of nuts (sorry I can't do grams).
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • mummyof5
    • By mummyof5 5th Sep 18, 12:52 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    mummyof5
    • 5th Sep 18, 12:52 PM
    • 5th Sep 18, 12:52 PM
    Sainsburys do a mixed bag of nuits that has a nice mix .
    It is £3.30 IIRC.
    I was using grape tree but these worked out the same per kilo with a nicer mix.
    • Nonnadiluca
    • By Nonnadiluca 5th Sep 18, 4:07 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 2,076 Thanks
    Nonnadiluca
    Lidl do 200g mixed nuts for £1.99. I use them for granola, for snacking, and I seperate out the walnut halves to use for pesto or blue cheese and walnut pasta as there's always plenty of walnuts in the bag, and the mixed nuts are cheaper than the bags of walnuts. That's by far the cheapest I've seen.
    • pumpkin89
    • By pumpkin89 5th Sep 18, 4:30 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    pumpkin89
    One of the few ingredients that never goes off is sugar, so never pay full price for it. Brands periodically do promotions which make it cheaper than own label, and it's also occasionally delisted as supermarkets swap out one brand for another, leading to nice "reduced to clear" savings.

I've also found baking ingredients companies quite generous with coupons if you contact them about products.
    • nosuperwoman
    • By nosuperwoman 6th Sep 18, 8:56 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    nosuperwoman
    I can vouch for the quality of Lidl cocoa. I once started measuring ingredients for brownies using Bourneville cocoa when I didn't have enough I opened the Lidl pack. The difference in darkness smell and taste was obvious, Bournville was very inferior. I topped it out (for something later needing less taste) and went with Lidl all the way. delish!
    Never look for comfort food in a macrobiotic restaurant

• vanessa742
    • By vanessa742 12th Sep 18, 2:49 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    vanessa742
    Disappointed that you would recommend using caged eggs instead of Free Range
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Sep 18, 4:24 PM
    • 64,933 Posts
    • 381,156 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Originally posted by vanessa742
    Because the post is about saving money .... not anything else.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 12th Sep 18, 5:19 PM
    • 11,404 Posts
    • 30,584 Thanks
    suki1964
    I wish our Lidl did bread flour but it doesnt even though I always ask for it

Lidl plain and self raising flour is grand, as is the corn flour

The cooking chocolate blocks is very good as is the cocoa powder, condensed milk, golden syrup. Their brown sugars are very well priced

I never buy caster sugar , I just use ordinary sugar and whizz it in the blender or FP till fine, Ive even made icing sugar that way instead of buying a pack when Ive only needed a little

Poundland, B&M and Home bargains are my go to places for the little extras, the cake cases, icing bags, cake boxes, cake boards, flavourings, colourings etc

For Butter - lidl, £2.54 a pound. I use their baking fat as well and Tesco or Sainsburys Value ranges lard does the trick ( Im not a vegetarian so don't hunt out trex )

Suet ive picked up in some surprising places, Marks were discontinuing it and I got a load of boxes for 25p

Its also worth looking in the reduced sections of the supermarkets, I picked up gram flour for 50p in my local Tesco as its not a big seller and the same for 00 flour ( unfortunately they now no longer stock either )
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • robin58
    • By robin58 12th Sep 18, 6:34 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 3,262 Thanks
    robin58
    Bump. bump. Offer ends tonight.

If you have a Topcashback account, they are via thier instore groceries account section, offering money off baking basic items.

20p off icing sugar 500g.
    15p off cake casings, any type.
    15p off Baking chocolate 150g, any type.
    10p off plain flour 500g.
    10p off sponge mix, any flavour.

Cashback available until 11.59pm 12th September. Once only for each item.

Added bonus you can submit a receipt(s) from any retailer, not just the big supermarkets.
    Originally posted by robin58
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • wort
    • By wort 13th Sep 18, 7:49 AM
    • 884 Posts
    • 10,909 Thanks
    wort
    I've had whitWorth nuts and seeds in pound land.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th Sep 18, 8:48 AM
    • 16,406 Posts
    • 140,251 Thanks
    JackieO
    Originally posted by vanessa742
    We were discussing the virtues of free range and indoor reared animals the other night in the pub.Now I am not an 'animal rights' person at all, and with my 'sensible hat' on I said (not unreasonably I thought ) that advertising sales techniques are such that the words 'free range' are extremely misleading.

One of my opponents said airily 'well if you can eat an egg or chicken thats not been raised in a good environment it says how much you think of animal welfare'.

My reply was 'I eat what I can afford to buy', and the idea that an egg that has come from a free range bird is one that has been fed from the kitchen door in a farmyard by a rosy cheeked farmers wife throwing handfuls of corn in the air is a load of old rubbish.

This country now has an enormous food industry and eggs and chickens make up a large part of it .

As someone who has lived through rationing and the severe post war austerity of the 1950s Chickens back then were only eaten by ordinary folk on Christmas Day I certainly never tasted a turkey until I was in my late teens and married In our house as a child we had like a lot of people several chickens that we kept for the eggs and eventually we ate them We grew up knowing they were raised to be eaten.

Today with larger populations and less land around chicken has become part of our staple diets, and there really isn't either enough land ,nor rosy cheeked farmers wives with the time or energy to be raising chickens like this

A harassed mum living with several children to feed, on possibly a low income, cannot afford to be to 'precious ' about where her kids next meal comes from, or if the chicken has lived a happy and fulfilled life, so caged or free range it all comes down to price and the market fixes the price.

In a perfect world we would all be eating organic food and cooking free range or grass fed meat to our families ,but sadly we don't live in a perfect world and not buying caged hens eggs won't stop them being produced. I would bet the farm on the fact that most mass produced food in the shops are using caged hens eggs to make the cakes and goodies that you buy
    I eat as healthily as I can afford to but a chicken is still a dead chicken whether its led 'the good life' or not

British farmers are battling to feed us all and do their best for their animals. Its to their advantage to produce the best they can with what they have, as I said its just not a perfect world

JackieO
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only( 1st Oct £30.96,15 Oct £14.28 total for month £45.24,) Total end of October since Jan £307.43
    • t14cy t
    • By t14cy t 14th Sep 18, 4:13 PM
    • 703 Posts
    • 6,632 Thanks
    t14cy t
    all my chickens are rescued ex battery hens. I buy them from the british hen welfare for a £5 each donation, usually I buy 12 at a time. they are a real pleasure to see everyday, each day getting used to the finer things in life!!! they eat all my scraps and most of the weeds too!! all for corn and pellets which I buy locally. the eggs are really rich as they have such a varied diet. I supply the local pub with any surplus eggs which they sell on to their locals and money raised goes to local charities. friends, family and neighbours are also readily supplied!! the chooks are worth every penny!!! I scour the reduced section for any meat and poultry which is either grass/corn fed/ british/ organic there is a big difference in taste in my opinion.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 14th Sep 18, 8:14 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 24,510 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I once did a rough calculation (and I really wish I'd kept it because I can't be bothered to do it again!) of how much land would be needed if all eggs in this country were free range. We eat an enormous amount of eggs in the UK both in original format and in prepared dishes, baked goods and so on. If they were all produced in "free range" conditions there would not be enough land left for farming. The inevitable result would be that eggs would be imported, probably from China or other places where welfare conditions are much worse.

Jackie O is quite right in saying that "free range" does not mean what we would like to think. It means that hens must have access to the outdoors, but many of them will live their entire life indoors. I keep hens myself, they are kept in an aviary most of the time because they would be fox food otherwise, and I could not classify them as free range. However, they produce lovely eggs which taste and look much better than any you can buy.

Principles are a luxury, and if you are struggling to get by then you buy what you can afford.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

60Posts Today

2,734Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin