The Last Leg

Options
I'm starting a debt free diary to help me get through the last of my debts.

I'm definitely an emotional / stress spender and could have paid off my debts a lot quicker if I could be more focused about it.

So....current debt is around 3k split between two 0% balance transfer cards, I owe my mum 1.7k and I've got 300 quid in savings. I have about 545 disposable income a month after bills, food, travel, mortgage etc so really I should be able to clear debt in around 9 months. Although in reality I don't mind leaving the credit cards running for longer as I'd really like more emergency savings. For example I just discovered a major moth problem in my flat. Rentokil advised I won't be able to get rid of it with cleaning and proper treatment is needed. For two water based insecticide treatments it's 360 plus bought vacuum seal bags to store clothes in once moth free and I envisage spending more on Hoover bags as will still have problem after that for up to two years. Anyway I digress. But this is going on the credit card to be paid back next month.

My main source of frittering is Waitrose as live opposite one and work from home. Thinking to give myself 5 pound budget a week. Maybe could make it treat and go for weekly lunchtime cup of tea then avoid like plague rest of time! Also just bought second second hand freezer (actually bougjt it as have to freeze clothes for two hours to kill moths, gross I know, or wash at sixty degrees which cant do for all), so can make and freeze more home made meals. And get off lazy !!!! and go to Lidl more.

Social life is not expensive. Maybe posting my weekly budget here will help for some mutual cheerleading.

I've also been helping brother manage his step change account. Pleased to say since Feb he hasn't missed payment (he has schizophrenia and I have been managing his money). Sadly tho some debts were miscalculated plus water bill keeps being added on to it so doesn't seem to have gone down much. But spoke to Lowell Financial and they agree to 5% reduction. Thinking to write to others and ask to be forgiven as he was given more credit than ability to pay (catalogues increasing credit limit when he wasn't making repayments). Working full time plus always doing extra hours so do what I can to help him. Mainly just keeping roof over his head atm as he has ground floor flat and has had Windows smashed and been assaulted inside his flat twice by niwmmeighbours. Don't know how he keeps it together. He is very stoic about it all. Anyway got him appointment with support worker and they are making case for him to be transferred. He needs a flat with secure entrance as vulnerable adult.

Right mse friends - this is my commitment to better budgeting and doing positive cheap things and the reward will be seeing those debts go down.

Good debt free vibes to you all X

Comments

• GlendaSugarbean
    Options
    Will be cheering you on :j

Your brother's situation sounds horrific - hope the council step up and get him a better living place. You're doing a grand job organising his debt repayments as well as sorting your own.

Moths :mad::mad::mad:
  • billy2shots
    billy2shots Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Good luck in your pursuit of debt free loveliness.

I work with people who have mental health problems and although things have improved over recent years, sadly some people are still stuck in the dark ages.
    I hope your brother is somewhere better/safer in the bottom distant future.
  • pidge04
    pidge04 Posts: 792 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wish all the best for your brother.

A £5 budget for Waitrose sounds like a great plan!
    Store card £140 £117 - Store card £150 - Overdraft £200 - PayPal £364 - Loan 1 £5052 - Loan 2 £1733 - Credit card £2890 - Car hire purchase £3200 - Savings £0.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • MissG80
    Options
    Well it feels like money has been similar to water of late. Thanks GlendaSugar that's very kind of you. Thank you Billy2Shots, that's really kind of you. You're right things have improved when think back to how it used to be, lots to be grateful about. Pidge04 thank you and I'm glad you approve of 5 Waitrose budget! Thanks beanielou.

So Pay day is approaching (I have a weird payday) and looking at month ahead. Any idea how I do a statement of affairs anyone? My credit card statement is scary as rentokil was 428 incl vat. I reckon that's price per moth of around five pounds haha sob. However I haven't seen any since they came.

My budget next week is 30 quid. See if I can stick to that and not use credit card.

Decided on payday to put 700 on my credit card which will bring it back to 1300. I will need to put 80 for food on it. Plus 100 for a massage. I know that's a lot but it's two hours and my treat. Plus travel for work, I don't know how much yet as not sure when / where I'm going annoyingly. Maybe 100ish but can get some back on expenses. I'd like some home things to freshen up now moths have gone but they will have to wait. Social wise I have family visiting next week, a booked concert the week after, a work trip to South West and a yoga workshop which I've already booked. I've just deleted everything I was watching on ebay to avoid temptation.

I have a pile of stuff to sell on ebay so will do that and update how it goes, try and have a really cheap month then sit down and make more of a proper plan when got more time.

Actions
    1. 30 budget next week
    2. Watch spend - stick to absolute essentials and think about cheap treats
    3. 700 on credit card
  • MissG80
    Options
    Very overdue update. Debts now at 4k total (down from 4.7k in September). No more moths. The neighbour who assaulted my brother is being evicted in January, after he reported it with my help. Not that I wish bad on anyone. But he will be safer. And I got a payrise. Thinking I can do this!
  • Choccygirl123
    Options
    Just wanted to say hi and well done on debt reduction and battling the moths. Pleased the nasty neighbour is sorted.

Are you Waitrose member? Scan your card at the checkout and you get a free tea or coffee.
    Finally Debt Free 24/4/2023 
  • pidge04
    pidge04 Posts: 792 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sounds like you are on track! £700 debt reduction is impressive!
    Store card £140 £117 - Store card £150 - Overdraft £200 - PayPal £364 - Loan 1 £5052 - Loan 2 £1733 - Credit card £2890 - Car hire purchase £3200 - Savings £0.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure