Re-mortgaging with a DMP

Options
Hello everyone, I am new to the Forum and wondered if anyone had any advice.
I have just completed Year one of my DMP with Stepchange (total debt was 44K) I split with my husband 4 years ago and bought him out of our home (I had no debt then), taking on a 130K mortage - the property is valued at around 170K.
The mortgage was a 5 year fixed rate and will need to be renewed in March 2020 - so i guess my question is has anybody renewed their mortgage whilst in a DMP and if so was it a struggle? I know its just over 18 months away and by that time my debt will be around 24K, but its constantly on my mind what if i cant re-mortgage my home? (i have never missed a mortgage payment)
thanks all!

Comments

• UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi
    I've passed this on to the good folks on the DMP support forum so hopefully someone will pop in shortly with some advice and info.
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

As long as you take out another mortgage with the same provider it shouldn't be an issue as they don't credit check you. I have done this with Nationwide whilst on my dmp.

Puzz
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • smithyv
    smithyv Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    thanks, was it a higher interest rate or did you get a good deal
  • another_casualty
    Options
    The best thing imho , is not to remortgage but to stay with your current mortgage provider and either go on their variable rate or possibly fix it with them for another term if you feel inclined to do so.
    Make sure you do not take out any additional borrowing .

All the best
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Options
    smithyv wrote: »
    thanks, was it a higher interest rate or did you get a good deal

I just picked a new fixed rate deal online same as I have always done.

Puzz
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Do as has been suggested and stick with your current provider. We moved onto a new fixed term deal with Nationwide recently, did so online and it all went through very smoothly. We got a slightly lower rate, certainly one we were happy to settle on and by the time that term finishes we'll be debt-free and our credit file should look a little more healthy (defaults will be gone etc.)

I doubt you'd be able to get a good alternative (re-mortgage) with another provider and certainly wouldn't get offered decent rates, so your choice is limited. I'm sure you'll get another good deal with your current mortgage provider.
  • smithyv
    Options
    Thanks - i just wasn't sure how it worked, would HSBC (current broker) take one look at my current credit score and think no chance! so i was concerned that i wouldn't be able to re-mortgage after my 5 year fixed rate with a high interest mortgage or worse still lose my home because of it.
    Oh the stress! 1 year down 4.5 to go, wish i could stop beating myself up about it. thanks for your advice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure