Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 12th Aug 18, 2:15 AM
    • 1,672Posts
    • 18,478Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Old Style Daily Sunday 12th August 2018
    • 12th Aug 18, 2:15 AM
    Old Style Daily Sunday 12th August 2018 12th Aug 18 at 2:15 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 12th Aug 18, 2:24 AM
    • 1,672 Posts
    • 18,478 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 12th Aug 18, 2:24 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 2:24 AM
    Morning everyone

I had a good time shopping with my brother yesterday, it helps that he goes into a shop, sees something he likes and buys it. Nice and quick and easy. We had a wander around the market and their fruit and veg prices are still more than the local supermarkets so I won’t be buying from them.

We drove out to a country pub we know for lunch where we haven’t been for a couple of years. The owners are still the same couple and the food was as good as we remembered. I will add it to my list of reasonable priced places to go again.

I’ve got a load to go in the washing machine, and hope to be able to get that dry on the line. A quick vacuum through dust the lounge and that will be it for today.

AOD I hope that you are in less pain and have had a better night.

Gers it’s good that your mum is doing so well.

TA thinking of you.

csarina hoping that your OH is improving and is much better when you see him today. Hopefully he will get a place in the day hospice for one day a week to give you some respite.

Thinking of all of you who are having a hard time.

I hope that you all have a decent day.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 12th Aug 18, 5:24 AM
    • 1,963 Posts
    • 24,065 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 12th Aug 18, 5:24 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 5:24 AM
    Good morning and thank you for starting the thread Hollyharvey.

The antibiotics have now started to work and the swelling has lessened. Unfortunately the tooth remains very painful and according to the dentist, this indicates that there is a crack, though two xrays have failed to reveal it. If so, it will be an extraction on Thursdsy and am somehow not really looking forward to this. Never mind, I will just have to deal with it.

I have washing nearly finished in the machine. It will have to go on the rack upstairs as it has been raining for a while and I think the rain is set to continue. We need the rain so I'm not complaining.

No plans today, other than a bit of hoovering.

Thinking of those of us who are sad, worried or unwell.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 12th Aug 18, 7:48 AM
    • 3,250 Posts
    • 45,198 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:48 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:48 AM
    Morning everyone

hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Coudy, overcast and rain forecast although not here just yet. Rained in the night. Got the washing dry yesterday as it was a glorious sunny day with a good breeze.

Lunch today will be roast pork, roasties, mash, carrots, cauli/broc cheese, peas, green beans, yorkshires and gravy.

Today will be just a chill day, we visited the parents yesterday and DS1 went out last night and was home in the early hours, but not as late as sometimes he was in approx 2.30am.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 12th Aug 18, 7:50 AM
    • 2,534 Posts
    • 31,845 Thanks
    LaineyT
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:50 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 7:50 AM
    Morning all and thanks for the start Holly, am glad you enjoyed the day with your brother.

Not much to report, life is trundling along My DOH is away for the weekend with youngest so I have the house to myself, I was busy yesterday with housework, hay deliveries etc so will have a quiet day today rearranging kitchen cupboards and general pottering.

Hope the poorlies feel better soon, take care folks x
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 12th Aug 18, 8:22 AM
    • 12,720 Posts
    • 44,259 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:22 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:22 AM
    Morning

Had a nice sleep in today for me anyway according to my watch I had 9 and a half hours which is unheard of for me.

Yesterday turned out gorgeous and did get some garden time before the rain finally came. Looks a bit grey today but thats standard august in the UK I guess .....come back sun not all of us hate you

Makers market is on today so I may bimble over there but if its raining I could well wimp out. My cousin has a stall there selling curries and it would be nice to see him but he does lots of local markets so if I miss him today its not a big one

Had a disappointing dinner last night I had ordered some crispy aromatic duck with all the trimmings as a Saturday night treat which usually is plenty enough for Sunday too so at £6 it seemed an OK treat. The duck had clearly been on a very successful low carb diet as there was hardly a tap of meat on it and getting enough for two pancakes was a struggle The one I usually get from M+S is streets ahead so lesson learned. Checked out making it myself as well and its so easy Im kicking myself so Ill be buying some duck legs (far cheaper than £6) and getting a mahoosive pack of pancakes from the local chinese supermarket on the next trip.

So need to find some dinner for tonight still got pancakes left and hoi sin so ill grab some cooked chicken out instead

Hope we hear from TA today
    Sad to see Judi gone from MSE hope she makes a trip back every now and then she will be really missed

Have a good Sunday all
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 12th Aug 18, 8:36 AM
    • 2,187 Posts
    • 23,179 Thanks
    snoozer
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:36 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:36 AM
    Nelski, I know Judi had problems because people she knew could see her posts so maybe that is why she has gone.

Gers, good on your mum, a lot of people would have decided that it's easier to be looked after.

We had a lovely day yesterday, culminating in a delicious dinner. We then sat in a bar listening to a very talented young woman playing he piano and singing.

It's raining today but we have a show booked at 4.00 so we'll go to that. DH didn't sleep well but he's back in bed now so I'll let him sleep as long as possible.
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 12th Aug 18, 8:37 AM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 5,231 Thanks
    I Love comps
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:37 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 8:37 AM
    Morning Everyone,

Did not get to DM's house yesterday. I had a lovely evening with my DD as she came over and we had a take -out. Watching tv and chilling.

Well DM's house was only put on the market Friday morning. The house is under offer now.

Will pop to the house today.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. "I am a volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 12th Aug 18, 9:12 AM
    • 4,108 Posts
    • 50,528 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:12 AM
    • 12th Aug 18, 9:12 AM
    Morning All

Cloudy and drizzly this morning, washing on the pulley. Yesterday was quite warm with some sunshine.

I started painting the fence yesterday, the sprayer is quite messy but really quick. I had to empty the shed and get my friend from over the road to help me move it enough to get in behind, all put back and a big sort out of the shed too! Once the flowers have finished I'll do the rest.

DD and I are off to a 'meet the baby' do this afternoon, the parents live in HK and decided to have an afternoon where everyone can meet the little chap instead of them trawling around with him, good idea.

Your DM is really amazing Gers, good on her!
    Hope the other poorlies continue to recover.

Have a happy Sunday, take care. XX
    • Gers
    • By Gers 12th Aug 18, 9:16 AM
    • 6,836 Posts
    • 45,216 Thanks
    Gers
    Good morning everyone.

It's so blooming lovely to be in my own bed again. I slept the sleep of the angels!

ILC - that's wonderful news, all the hard work in getting the house ready has paid off. Even though it's sad to lose the house it means your mum is being looked after.

snoozer - my DM is so lucky to have reached the age of 90 and not developed a cognitive condition. The last hospital admission was to a bed in a six berth ward with some patients in a bad way. She wants to be independent and functional as long as possible.

Nelski - what a disappointing meal. I'm looking forward to reading about you making it next time.

When I arrived home yesterday (did I say it was bliss?) I managed to get a washing load out and dried. I missed the local agricultural show which would have been good, love a good show. Anyway, a neighbour saw my car and dropped in for a welcome chat and a little dram. I enjoyed both immensely.

I'll be heading back down to Glasgow later today, though I'm glad to have had this micro-break. Right now I'm still in lying in bed listening to Roger Daltrey's new music, he has still got a great voice.

My thoughts go out to all those facing challenging and painful times and wish everyone a happy Sunday.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 12th Aug 18, 9:29 AM
    • 2,361 Posts
    • 24,430 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Quiet day yesterday, spent a lot of it relaxing and watching mindless TV, I am very tired. Got a phone call last night to say that OH had fallen again in the toilet. I do wish they would leave someone with him when he goes, it could have been avoided, how ever he was on his knees and said he had not hit his head. I will try and find out from him when I go in later this morning. His legs are very weak, physio has promised a leaflet with some exercises he can do sitting in a chair.

It rained yesterday afternoon and it looks like it may have also rained in the night, the slabs are damp, overcast, sun keeps trying to break through.

Have a small wash load in, will put it in the dryer for quickness, do not like doing it but needs must, do not want it getting wet whilst I am at the hospital this afternoon.

Chicken breasts out to defrost, will cook them and have one for my supper with veg. I am eating OH's yogurt for dessert just now.

Gers, pleased that your Mum is doing better, long may it last, ILC well done with your Mums house, hope the offer is what you were looking for and the transaction goes smoothly.

Sorry that Judi has gone.........I can understand why, but its a shame.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 12th Aug 18, 1:16 PM
    • 10,905 Posts
    • 119,922 Thanks
    LameWolf
    think it's windows 10, not sure
    Originally posted by silver-oldie
    Ah, that figures; I've had similar myself with my Windows 10 netbook, and yet I've never had an issue with either of the other machines, both of which run Windows 7, and have a heck of a lot more software on; nor did I have this with my old Windows 7 netbook, which I only replaced because it was literally worn out after 11 years' constant use.

I've read of other people having this issue with Windows 10 too, so I do fear it's something Micr0soft need to sort out.

Nelski, I know Judi had problems because people she knew could see her posts so maybe that is why she has gone.
    Originally posted by snoozer
    A good reason for always using a screen name that's not your own RL name, methinks.
    Hopefully she'll come back under a new alias.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,841Posts Today

7,800Users online

Martin's Twitter